Conflicting Hearts

By konyinn_

Meet Laila Woods She's not exactly your everyday carefree girl she's intelligent,fiery, beautiful and isn... More

Author's Note.
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15.
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18.
Chapter 19
Chapter 20.
Chapter 21.
Chapter 22.
Chapter 23.

Chapter 24.

25 1 1
By konyinn_

Laila's POV
*FLASHBACK*
The day of the fight
Tatiana looked at me suspiciously as I grabbed my white face cap and pulled it over my head.
My face lacked expression but on the inside I was a complete mess.

Did William not trust me?

What could be the matter?

I was almost crying but I held it together and walked out of the house with Tati right beside me and our run began once we got out of the gates.

We ran, Tati could almost match my speed but she couldn't, I was always faster for some reason. I was pushing my limit with my speed today.

In the next few minutes, I was doubled over with tears streaming down my face.
Why was I crying?

Because someone I loved didn't tell me what was going on with them and I've told them what happened to me during some of the darkest days of my life?

I was hurt.

Love should trust.

Tati caught up to me, looked at me and we took back off in the other direction.

"Are you okay?" She asked as we slipped back into my bedroom.

"I'll be okay when the trust we shared is restored, is this how it feels when you suspect that someone you deeply care about doesn't trust you? If it is then I don't want to feel this way" I sighed and walked towards my balcony doors.

Tati simply placed a hand on my shoulder from behind perhaps to offer me some sort of comfort but her hands were cold. I might have wished they were William's hands, his hands are always warm.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

We're okay now.

I get it if he doesn't want to talk to me about it but he should talk to someone, he's bothered about it.

He zones out sometimes and I'm worried about him because William never does that, he's always 100% attentive and I love that about him. It's why our relationship is so amazing, he pays me attention and notices every little thing about me.

I kept up with my walk, the white hoodie on my body keeping me warm from the slightly chilly December air.

I walked to Louise's office.

I walked in well my sash was on over the hoodie and it was barely after seven am so who would sue me? Louise would but she loves me way too much for that and school wasn't in session yet.
My black lanyard with my Council ID was also around my neck, I stepped into Louise's office.

Louise had a settee in her office, I took the seat next to her across from the concerned parents who were already seated.

"Good morning Mr and Mrs Adams" I greeted.

"Good morning" A unison reply came from the couple.

"This is Laila Woods. Laila is the best student in our school's senior class and therefore the whole school. She is also the President of the Student Council, she is undertaking two international academic programmes alongside her normal high school education here with us" Louise informed and the woman smiled warmly at me.

I sent her a small smile and admired her flowing gown, she looked beautiful to say the least.

"Laila had a media scandal which she later cleared up, however, the children also knew about the scandal because it was everywhere. Fenton went ahead to taunt her and indirectly called her a gold-digger, Laila has enough money to her name not her family's name yet so what on earth would she need more money for? She lives a very simple life with the exceptions of a few luxuries as she and her family can very well afford it"

"What was the scandal about?" The man who I assumed to be the father asked because Fenton had his nose, Frazier looked like his mother to me.

"I went to a ball with my cousin who the media know as a young business tycoon who lives overseas, we hid the fact that we are cousins for very personal reasons. The news got out that we attended the ball together and the press made us the overnight couple and photoshopped pictures of us so I was involved in a scandal and previously I had a boyfriend who was overly rich but no one knew we were dating until someone put pictures of us up all over the school several months after we broke up"

"That must have been terribly hard for you" The woman sympathized with me.

"What did Fenton say?"

"Due to my involvement with three apparently rich guys in what would be seen as the same timeline, Fenton asked me whether all my targets were rich guys?" I said and the mother inhaled sharply.

"Fenton" The woman sighed

"Fenton said he was threatened by someone?"

"William, a member of the Student Council threatened him to leave me alone and keep his opinions to himself, however, he refused to do so and William didn't carry out his threat. Why does Fenton feel the need to drag someone else into this matter?" I asked

"Who is William to you?" The man asked and I nearly smiled but kept a straight face.

"William and I are in a relationship"

"You monopolized the Student Council?" He asked.

"I say this with very little restraint left sir, I have worked my entire high school career to own all the accolades to my name. Sleepless nights and endless working days, that is the manner in which I have lived a lot of the time. The Student Council was not monopolized by me, you might think so because I have my friends and boyfriend on the Council but this year's council wasn't even assembled by elections so on what basis do you wish to use to accuse me?"

"Also, if you think I am not deserving then please look at my Cambridge and IB progress. Both programs will be completed in the coming months, however, there are progress reports. I have an excellent academic background and good student standing in every other aspect even in all the aspects Fenton lacks in"

"Where is Fenton?" Louise asked seeing that the tension between me and the man was building.

Two could play at that game, mister, two could play at that game.

"He should be here by now" The woman looked down at the floor.

"The Student Council is present for the welfare of the students alongside other things and will not be an ally to monopoly. I would take it as an insult to me and this institution if you accused Miss Woods of monopolizing the Student Council"

"The threats Farid has received from William and I were merely to get him to stop with his behaviour, however, I have too much to deal with to tolerate Farid and the teachers are also nearly past their limit with him. Hence, why you are here now. I don't know what's happened with Farid but he wasn't always like this, I don't want him to face expulsion so what can we do to remedy his situation?" I asked and the parents looked at me in surprise and so did Louise.

"We thought you called us here to punish him not to help him. Do you not genuinely hate him for what he has put you through? All though, I have not heard all of it, I know it hasn't been good" The woman looked at me in disbelief and I smiled warmly at her.

William walked into the office just then and stood behind my chair.

"Good morning Mr and Mrs Adams"

"Good morning" The woman replied.

"And you are?" The man asked

"William King, a member of the Student Council and the senior class of this institution" William replied with a blank expression on his face before placing his hands on my shoulders.

"I didn't call you here so I could have Fento  punished, I called you here so I could find out what was going on with Fenton. He wasn't always like this and I want to know why he's behaving this way" My hand was searching for William's as I spoke, I relaxed a bit into my speech as soon as my hand was grasping his, the very tension in my shoulders lifted with that singular action.

"Why?" The man bit out

"Why what?" William asked

"Why do you want to know? Why do you want to help him?"

"I owe something to Frazier Adams and this is the Lexington. We raise students who can hold their heads high and be proud of their standing. As a school, it is our responsibility to shape our students and help them out in difficult situations"

"Frazier, my eldest son?" The woman asked

"Yes, Frazier but do not ask me or him how we know each other. That is our own secret history to keep between each other" I smiled, Frazier.

He left me here, without a word.

I hadn't forgiven him for that.

But I cared about him and he did help me out that time so I would do something good for him, for me, for the Adams family.

"Also, I don't wish to give up on Fenton just like that and neither does the Lexington. We wish to help him"

"So you will not punish him?"

"Well I will punish him for excessive lateness and a few other offenses otherwise things might look fishy but I will leave him untouched"

"You must do one thing for us, you have to speak to Fenton thoroughly and keep an eye on him. We hope to hear progress reports in the coming months otherwise Fenton might not graduate" William stated and the parents deflated right in front of us.

"We will try our best" Fenton's mother assured us.

"We hope to hear back from you soon" Louise stood up as did I and Fenton's parents.

Louise shook their hands and walked them out.

Frazier...

"Shall we?" William asked and I stood up, we walked out of the office together and embraced. I held him tighter, he didn't say anything if he noticed and then we went in opposite directions.

I walked into the library and took a table that was completely obscured from the view of other people. I sat down, took my Economics textbook out and tried to make my flashcards.
I couldn't do it.

I gathered my stuff in a neat pile and left it with the librarian and I strode to Louise's office, I could hardly see where I was going but I kept going anyways.

I walked into her office, went past her secretary and stood in front of her.

"She barged in" The secretary stated and Louise waved her off.

"Why did Frazier have to come back up now?" I whispered as I sat in front of her desk.

"I know"

"He just up and left without a word, he knew everything. I rebuilt myself with him"

"Think about the good that came from it, you have William"

"You know with William, I forgot about Frazier. I'm happy he's okay" I confessed and Louise sighed, I missed the guilty look on her face.

What I didn't know was that Louise knew where Frazier was and they were in contact with each other.

"You should focus on William "

"I should but I can't forget about Frazier, he was really good to me" I sighed and Louise looked at me sadly.

"Is that why you didn't want Fenton punished even after he laid hands on you?"

"Frazier was once my favourite person, he helped me a lot but Fenton used to be kind to me. It's not just because of Frazier, Fenton has potential and punishing him won't help change him"

Louise nodded and I looked away.

I walked out of Louise's office and back to the library.

Four days later.

I was sitting down in front of my dresser looking over my white shirt dress and cream trench coat. I kept it simple and left my hair down with no makeup, I was wearing the ring William gave me along with my smart watch and this silver twisted chain with a cross pendant hanging from it. I was wearing a pair of white open toed block heeled sandals.

It was Friday night and I was spending the evening with William and his family, the bond I was forming with his family was beginning to eat deep into me. The scariest thing about it was that I didn't know what would happen if William and I parted ways or something.

I looked in the mirror and grabbed my phone. I walked out of my room towards my parents room, I knocked twice.

"Come in" Dad said from the other side of the door.

I stepped in and he was sitting on his bed with his laptop in front of him as he stared cryptically at it.

"I'm going to spend the evening with William's family, I just wanted to let you know"

"That's fine, have a nice time with them"

"Dad?"

"Yes?"

"Do you love Landon?"

"Why?" Dad looked at me,

"Do you?"

"I do"

"Do you like Brielle for him?"

"I like her, she reminds me of you sometimes"

"She does?"

"Alexandria Woods" He gave me the look that asked what is going on?

"Dad, calm down. It's nothing, you should take care and have dinner while I'm gone okay. Don't let anyone wait up for me"

"I will, you should too"

"See you" I turned around and walked out of his room.

I nearly dug myself a hole there but I got out.

I walked out of the house and got into my awaiting car quickly because it was cold. Matt was sitting in the driver's seat.

"Good evening"

"Evening to you too" He replied and I leaned back in my seat as I buckled myself in.

"Why did you ask me to drive you?"

"Matthew is on leave and I have a feeling Jared would smell a rat and then be a rat for Lianna" I said dryly and I saw the corner of his lip lift.

"So you don't trust Jared?"

"I don't trust the soft spot he has for my sister"

"Why did you ask me to drive you?"

"I'm in no condition to drive, I fear I might have crashed the car or something if I drove myself"

"It's good you recognize when you need to let someone else take the reins for you"

"He once said that to me too" I whispered with a smile and turned my head towards the window.

I let my memories carry me back to when Frazier and I were friends.

*FLASHBACK*
Laila sat in the driver's seat of Frazier's car. Frazier sat in the passenger seat right next to her, they were in lounge wear.

"Frazier, I don't think I can keep up driving. Can you take over from me?"

"Fine" Frazier smiled and Laila put the car in park before they switched seats.

"Thank you" Laila kissed him on the cheek and he smiled even wider.

"Your driving has improved a lot but you've learnt another important lesson in driving today. Want me to tell you what it is?" Frazier asked and glanced at her before putting the car in drive to get them moving again.

"Yes" Laila replied immediately.

"You recognised and accepted the need for someone else to take the reins from you, you're so stubborn. I was surprised you admitted to it"

"I am not that stubborn"

"Sure but if I'm not there to take the reins from you and there's no one you trust to help you out. Promise me you won't keep driving and just stop, if you keep driving you could crash." Frazier looked at her intensely and Laila smiled as he stopped the car.

"I promise, Adams"

"I'll hold you to that"

"You had better do that"

Frazier smiled and kissed her on the cheek.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

I smiled and looked up at the sky.

I broke my promise by driving while I could barely see, I was crying and driving the day Asher broke up with me. I could have crashed my car, what would have happened to everyone I love if I died?

Frazier was right, I am stubborn.

What would have happened if I died? I would have never gotten with William.

I'm grateful I didn't die and didn't sustain any physical injuries.

The car came to a stop inside William's house.

"Will you come back to pick me up?"

"Yes, I'll see you in a few hours"

"Thank you, Matt"

I got down from the car and walked briskly towards the front door, I was not trying to freeze my butt off in this horrible weather.

"Hey" William said as he opened the door and I walked into the foyer.

"Hey" I said and he smiled down at me, I smiled right back. I hung my coat up.

This right here was what made my day, William's smile made me forget everything I was feeling.

"You ready?" He asked and I nodded

"One thing?" He pointed at me in a questioning manner.

"Yeah?"

"You have frayed nerves, it's obvious in the way you've kept your hands to yourself and I've been speaking all this time"

"My nerves are fine"

"Do you want me to help you out?"

"Why not?" I shrugged and he went in for a kiss, a short but slow one that had me melting.
I was sure I would have fallen over if he wasn't holding me up with his arm around my waist.

"That was one way to help my nerves" I said sarcastically under my breath and he chuckled.

"Shall we?"

"We shall" I smiled as he led me away from the dimly lit foyer towards the dining room.

We passed by his parents who were sitting on the couch in their living room, they were so wrapped up in each other that they didn't notice us pass by them.

Danielle was sat next to Winston with her arms wrapped around his torso and his hand was behind her head in her hair.

"They're so cute" I whispered and he agreed with me.

He hoisted me up onto the counter once we got to the kitchen and gave me a look.

"What's up?" He asked blankly

"I'm okay"

"Is this about Frazier?" He turned his back to me.

"No, why do you think it's about Frazier?" I asked him

"Ever since you told Fenton's parents that you owe something to Frazier, you've been a bit distant"

"And if it's about Frazier?" I asked and he turned back to me in the blink of an eye.

"Lex" He wrapped his arms around my waist and I put my arms around his neck, I looked into his eyes.

"Li" I exhaled

"I love you, I don't know what Frazier means to you but I'm right here if you ever want to tell me about it" William placed his forehead on mine with closed eyes and exhaled too.

"If I tell you about Frazier, will you tell me what happened?" I asked and he didn't answer but he didn't let go either.

"I'm sorry, it was selfish of me to ask that-" William cut me off.

"Don't apologize to me" He whispered.

"It wasn't selfish of you, you care about me and you only want to know what it is because it seems to bother me. The topic of Frazier seems to bother you too but I remember it now"

"What?"

"I thought you had a boyfriend before Asher but when I called you out on it at the start of junior year you denied it. I remember why I thought you did" William paused

"I saw you and Frazier in a car together, you were holding hands. That was it"

"You saw us?" I asked in complete bewilderment.

"Yes, I remember it quite well now"

"Li?"

"Lex?"

"I love you more than I thought I would" I exhaled and he opened his eyes, his hazel brown eyes that always seemed to become warm when he looked at me.

With his forehead still leaning against mine.

"For tonight, can we leave the past in the past baby?" He asked me with a husky tone to his voice that made my breath hitch.

William planted a small kiss to my neck that made me visibly shiver.

"Just for tonight" I agreed and he smiled at me, that made me smile too.

"You look beautiful"

"Thank you"

"Why do we always seem to make confessions in this kitchen?" William asked as he moved his forehead away from mine and kept his arms around my waist.

"What can I say? I guess food is the way to one's heart and it's made in the kitchen so" I wiggled my eyebrows at him with a giggle and he laughed.

"My parents will never let me hear the end of it if they catch us like this so I'll have to move backwards" William sighed and removed his arms from around me with a pout.

"I already caught you anyways so why bother about your parents?" A woman came into the kitchen in a floral print dress.

"Ellen, you're never going to let me live this down. I might as well just keep holding onto her" William kept his arms around my waist again and I wanted to slap him.

Ellen was like a second mother to him, he never stopped talking about her and now he wouldn't let me make a good first impression.

"Hello dear" She smiled warmly at me as she came to stand in front of me and behind William, she had such a maternal aura around her.

"Good evening"

"I've heard so much about you, all good things I can assure you. You can call me Ellen"

"Nice to meet you, Ellen. I've heard so much about you, all good things. I'm Laila"

"Or Lexie?" She asked in a teasing tone.

"Only William calls me that"

"Oh, what a thing it is to be young. I would give you a hug but this big baby is holding onto you" She remarked and I laughed.

"Don't pretend you don't love me" William muttered.

"Who says I do?" She questioned and I was finding it hard to keep my laughter in with their banter.

"I do"

"Oh really, it's a shame you can't give me my opinion. That's not how it works, young man" She said in a no nonsense tone and I lost it, I began laughing hard and William joined me.

Ellen just smiled at us.

"I've set the table, dinner is in ten. I'll leave you two alone" Ellen left us in the kitchen once again.

"The girl with Kendrick in the photo?"

"Yeah?"

"Doesn't she look familiar to you?" William asked and my eyebrows rose.

"She doesn't, not to me, no"

"Is she his girlfriend?"

"Well I think they're dating now so yeah she should be"

"Hmm"

"Forget that, she's Kenny's girlfriend okay. Let's talk about my surprise"

"What is it?"

"Dad is giving me a New Years gift"

"Okayyy" William dragged the word out with raised eyebrows.

"He's offered me and you to fly with the team to check on the New York project. It'll be more of a vacation than a job but we're going to NY, of course if that's fine with you" I said and I must have sounded nervous again because he kissed me again. 

When he finally let go, I had to grasp his collar really tight otherwise I'm sure I would have fallen over.

"I'm fine with it but I just have to get a go ahead signal from my parents, okay?"

"I can't believe I will literally just have you all to myself for four days"

"You will" William pecked me and I smiled into it.

"We leave on the second of January"

"When will we be back?"

"The afternoon of the 6th, just enough time for us to sleep and get back to school the next day. I know we have to be there but we'll be so jet lagged"

"Oh, I can't wait" William chuckled.

"You need to keep your hands to yourself at dinner. I know it's harder than it sounds but trust me it'll be over soon and I'm only saying this because I've only been here for nearly half an hour and you've kissed me three times"

"I'll try" He concurred with a smile that told me he wouldn't 100% keep his hands to himself.

"William" I narrowed my eyes at him

"Laila" He replied teasingly and leaned in.

William is so subtle about touching me that I don't even notice it sometimes but it just tells me a number of things such as number one, William can't keep his hands off me like at all. He's always holding me or touching me in some way I mean if it makes him touchy then I'm fine with his kind of touchiness.

His hands are either in mine, on my shoulders, around my waist, cradling my face, rubbing soothing circles in my back or they're on my arms.

It's cute, most of the time.

"Let's get to dinner" I said and he stepped backwards for me to get off the counter.

We walked out of the kitchen and to the dining area.

We sat down and everyone else joined the table. Grace was said and dinner began.

As I dug into my food.

Danielle asked me a question.

"How do you handle it? So much schoolwork, actual work, friends, family, William. It's a lot"

"I structure how I do my school work especially since I started taking both programs. It's made me very busy and I lack a social life honestly" I paused and everyone laughed.

"It's a lot of work trust me, I don't do chores at home and I only cook when there isn't a single person in the house. So most of the time, during the week, I keep my room clean so I don't have to make time to clean it because everyone calls me a germaphobe. I'm not, I just like clean spaces. So with the absence of other work to do, I structure my weekdays for me to handle all my work so I can spend time with my loved ones, friends, family and William during the weekends and rest too"

"How does William take the fact that you're always busy?"

"How busy I am hardly applies to William because we hardly spend a day without seeing each other except on Sundays. We see each other nearly every day and spend time together whenever we can before we decide whether to make plans for the weekend or not"

"I can then say that you and William work your way around this thing pretty smoothly"

"Yeah, you could say that"

"Have you been in other relationships before?"

"Yes"

"How did they take the fact that you were always busy?"

"The first, I never got to that stage with him where I was always busy and we had to make time to see each other and all that because he left before I got to that stage"

"He left?"

"He left, he disappeared but I know he's alive and he's well. The second one was just an excuse of a guy so he didn't mind that I was busy because it gave him time to cheat on me"

"You deserved better and I'm really glad you've met better. If William ever hurts you, just tell me, I promise to kick his behind" We all laughed at that.

"How is the Student Council?" Winston asked

"The Student Council has been at its funniest, the week before this when we had our meeting on the Thanksgiving Monday. This guy walks in late holding his vice president's hand and gives Laila a box of pastries right, Laila calls it a bribe and accuses everyone of using her love for pastries to bribe her and the fights, guys" Whitney says it all in such an exaggerated manner that it makes me and William laugh.

"We're planning our Christmas ball right now, the previous year the seniors threw a glorified display of wealth. I'm not spending recklessly so I'm making it simple yet elegant, I was on the Council last year and so were Alyssa, Tatiana and Alexis but we couldn't stop it because we were the juniors. I'm going to cite an example of what our balls should be like from now on, last year wasn't too pretty. I left when the ball was just midway to the end"

"You left?" Danielle asked surprised and burst into laughter.

"To me, it was just that bad. It was a sparkly ball with too much glitz and glamour for high school students. Most of the girls wore short sparkly gowns and the guys were all over them, there was alcohol at some point so I grabbed my team and left. I also offered most of my classmates and all my friends to leave before they got into trouble"

"I know teens drink but sneaking that into school knowing how Louise is. I would never anticipate that those kids could be that wild"

"They weren't scared of getting caught but that was their bad choice. A lot of them left in pairs, boys and girls and they didn't leave to home. They booked hotel rooms nearby so when their names were collected, I just sat back and watched"

"Kids" Danielle chuckled

"Well this year will be different and that's good" Winston remarked as he finished off his food.

"No one is bringing alcohol in, I am not going to be responsible for students showing youthful exuberance. I will also not take it up on myself to drive a drunk student home or call them a cab or whatever, it's not happening" I said in an exasperated manner and everyone laughed, my face gradually broke out into a smile.

"How are your parents?" Danielle changed the topic.

"They're fine, just busy as always. I see more of Dad than Mum and my sister"

"How is Landon?"

"Landon is fine, I guess. I don't see him very much these days"

"And why not?"

"He moved out a few months after his graduation so we don't live in the same house and he doesn't visit too often"

"Oh, that's just like Wren here except she does visit often"

"You must miss your brother very much" Winston looked at me.

"I do but he's living his own life and he's taken care of even though he lives by himself"

"Taken care of?"

"Landon has a girlfriend"

"That explains the woman I saw with him, they looked too happy to see each other" Wren rolled her eyes in typical 'ah' fashion.

"That's them" I chuckled as I finally put my fork down because I had finished eating.

"You know, Laila, just thinking about the responsibilities you have. I think anyone else might have collapsed but you've come this far and I'm sure your loved ones are proud of you. It's hard now but this is the absolute hardest you will ever work in your life, with your workload and the hard work you put into it. It's never going to be this hard again, trust me"

"Perhaps it is, I've not thought about the fact that after this year. I won't have as many responsibilities because I will be done"

"You'll get to relax" William smiled at me and grabbed onto my right hand under the table.

"Do you guys have room for dessert after the dinner we've just had?"

"Do you?" William whispered

I nodded slowly and Wren smiled looking at the two of us.

"We definitely have room for dessert" Wren said and Ellen uncovered a dish.

She cut everyone a slice of cake and sat down after getting herself a slice.

It was red velvet cake, my absolute favorite.

"Thank you, Ellen" I smiled in her direction.

"Don't mention it and it was more William's idea so you have him to thank"

"Thank you" I whispered and he smiled.

I took a bite of my slice and I was just speechless, it was the best red velvet cake I had eaten in a long time.

It was soft and moist and fluffy and just too delicious. The woman's hands were blessed because I fell in love with this cake at first bite.

We finished dessert and moved to the library for the rest of the evening. I had to admit that the King family had a huge library.

"Who collected all the books in here?" I asked.

"Me, Mom and Whitney did. William put a few book collections in here as well"

"This is a lot of books"

"Not all the shelves are full, I promise" Wren teased and I chuckled.

"I would hope so" I smarted and her phone rang, she excused herself.

Whitney drew the curtains which unveiled the massive floor to ceiling windows which allowed us to gaze at the stars outside.

I needed to use the bathroom quickly so I made my way away from the library and into the nearby guest bathroom.

I had done my business and was washing my hands when I heard Wren speaking outside the door.

"Marr, can't you just come back here for me?"

"You said your business over there was done"

"Then come back and take me on another date. I miss you"

"I should come to Paris? I have to take leave for that"

"I love my job, cher {dear}. You know that"

"I'll come to Paris after New Years Day, I don't want to spend Christmas and New Year's away from my family. I just wish you were here, Marr. I miss you so much"

"When should I book my flight? Are you even in Paris?"

"We'll meet in Paris on the sixth of January"

"I miss you, I can't wait to see you. We'll talk later mon cher, au revoir {my dear, bye}" Whatever the guy at the end of the line said made her giggle.

"Stay safe"

I could only hear what Wren was saying and she kept calling this guy, Marr. His name is Marr? Is that short for Mario or something?

I dried my hands and tried to be as quiet as possible so Wren wouldn't know I heard her, I presume no one knows about this guy since she simply excused herself after dinner was over.

I was happy for her though, she sounded happy but I wonder what kept the guy from coming here? I mean he wants them to meet in Paris so surely he has time but who knows?

I know I don't.

I finally stepped out of the bathroom and made my way back to the library where Wren was now sat by herself with her nose in a book. A very familiar one at that, To All the Boys I've Loved Before.

William smiled at me as I walked towards him, he was holding a book this time around. It was the first book in the series, Me Before You.

"Read with me?" He asked and I nodded excitedly.

"Thank you" I whispered and he wrapped me up in his arms and the white blanket that had magically appeared in his hands.

"Anything for you, Lex" He whispered back.

I moved away from him ever so slightly and chose to sit next to him instead so I could lay my head on his shoulder and we could share the blanket easily.

"You're so shy sometimes" He whispered and I smiled.

Technically, it was true as I was hyper aware of his parents, siblings and guardian being in the room with us. I wasn't too comfortable being that affectionate with William in front of older people and perhaps family.

I was shy regarding certain things but I was brazen so no one would imagine that I was shy hence it couldn't be used against me.

"Only you know that" I whispered back.

"I love you"

"Who wouldn't?" I asked and he chuckled, I raised my head slightly only to catch his dazzling smile.

I had a smile on too.

We spent the rest of the evening reading in silence but I noticed a few things while we were reading.

Firstly, Winston and Danielle are actually such a cute couple. They could rival with Alyssa's parents who were the cutest couple in town.

Secondly, Whitney couldn't keep her eyes off her phone and the huge smile off her face. I knew that smile all too well and I really couldn't help but want to poke my nose in the matter for William's peace of mind.

Perhaps that was one of the many things bothering him.

Thirdly, Wren who initially smiled whenever she looked over at us when the night began now deflated when she glanced at us.

I know it's because of her call with that guy but why can't he come here for her? I know I don't want to spend New Years Day away from William, I'm fine with not spending it with my family as the Woods House will get dramatic because Dad's family will be over.

Mum's parents have both passed away but her aunt and my grandma will be coming with some of her kids and grandchildren.

I don't want that kind of drama, I want to spend this New Year surrounded by people I love who love me.

We decided to call it a night at about half nine and Whitney brightened the lights, it was beautiful.

I didn't really pay attention to the fact that William's parents had more money than mine. I forgot about it oftentimes.

The decor of this house was magnificent.

The warm brown like William's eyes unlike my grey ones which resembled steel a lot of the time. The warm brown contrasted with the white in the furniture, the colours of the house and everything else.

The room was quickly put back together and the lights were dimmed by Whitney.

"We'll head upstairs now, have a great night kids" Danielle said in a sleepy manner and Winston drew her more into his side to keep a firm arm around her waist.

"Goodnight" Everyone replied

"I'm going to my room now" Whitney announced and disappeared.

"Goodnight, Laila. I do hope you get home safely" Ellen said.

"Goodnight Ellen" I replied and she left too.

"Bye, you two" Wren left finally.

William turned around to face me.

"What are you doing tomorrow?"

"Sleeping in till ten, why?"

"I was thinking we should have a study date"

"What will we study?"

"Maths or Calculus"

"William, I'm good at both. What do you really want?"

"I want to spend time with you alone"

"You're insatiable" I stated and he laughed.

"Only for you"

"Tell you what? I know it's still a long time till New Year's Day and our trip but if you can wait three weeks to have me then I'm all yours" I poked him in the chest and he smiled.

"That's such a long time though, why can't we spend time with each other during Christmas break?" He asked me with the most adorable frown on his face.

"Woods House is dramatic during Christmas holidays because there's too many people around. I can't wake up and do what I want, I can't leave the house without getting criticized because I'm a girl and I shouldn't be roaming all around town. Ah, I see why Landon left" I sighed and William deflated even more.

"I'll wait but if we have any chances to spend time together just call me"

"I will"

"Will you at least kiss me before you leave?"

"Cheesy" I giggled as he leaned in to kiss me.

He pulled away from me with a smile trying to regain his breath.

William dragged me into an embrace even though we were sitting down. It was warm and it felt like him, I was so used to him that I honestly didn't want to think about leaving here tonight.

If there was something that scared me about us before, I was terrified now. What would I do if something happened to him?

Or to us?

And perhaps my fear showed on my face and I nearly cried because William looked at me worriedly but his face was blurry after a moment.

And I hugged him tight, not wishing to let go but like all good things come to an end.

This night had to come to an end too, William carried me bridal style to my awaiting car outside. He picked my shoes up too and placed them in the car with me.

"Lex, calm down. I love you, just relax and you'll be home in no time"

"Li, please don't leave me"

"I won't ever leave you except it's for your own good, I promise"

"Don't leave" I held onto his arm in the freezing cold.

"Lex, eri bella {you were beautiful}. Goodnight"

"Goodnight" I whispered and he smiled.

He closed the door and went back to stand in front of the grand entrance, he waved as the car drove off.

"Are you okay?"

"My heart's gotten softer, Matt. It used to be made of glass and now it's so soft that you could compare it to wool. How do I feel about that? How do i tell him that I'm just scared he will leave me?"

"Everything will work itself out whether for you or against you so you need to relax and let it all happen"

"I'm made of steel but my heart is made from glass, I will use that glass to defend myself. To strike, je promets {I promise}"

"You should defend your heart, it's yours after all"

That was intense.

What do you think of Frazier and what Laila did for Fenton?

Wren and her mystery boyfriend? I might write a separate book on them.

Thank you for staying with William & Laila,
Konyin💕.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.1K 372 29
Sixteen and confused, the young girl had lost her mom and was trying to find her way in the world. she leaves home to find answers to life question a...
898 82 11
An ambitious Lawyer who raises his two brothers is going stir crazy. His brothers do not listen, they fight with each other, and the household feels...
44.2K 1.3K 16
Kathys bullied by boys, but after years of torment she doesn't take it so seriously and learns to ignore it. But when the school starts a study buddy...
242K 9.6K 54
"Theo. If I'm not mistaken? Isn't this yours?" He extended a hand, holding my penguin printed handkerchief. My eyes couldn't have gotten so wide. I q...