His Saint, His Jewel ✔️

By unconsentingsoul

The Saints and The Jewels. Two rival gangs in a small town in America 1960's. Both fight for dominance and t... More

author's note
Prologue
1. Introduction
2. Ms. Bella
3. Race
4. At First Sight
5. Dreamy
6. My Love
7. Advice
8. Tienes Una Novia?
9. Rage
10. Dance
11. Jazz
12. Target
13. Rocks on the Window
14. Moonlight
15. Ms. Bella Again
16. Wrong Side
17. Attacked
18. Scandal
19. Discovering a Secret
20. Birthday Boy
21. Let Them Eat Cake
22. Fall's Day
23. Profess
24. War Council
25. Carnival in Town
26. City-wide View
27. Sinister
28. Angel & Demon
29. Home Alone
30. Outage
31. One Week
32. Secret Keeper
33. Paranoid
34. Fear
35. Second Opinion
36. Carefree
37. Crossing
38. Hello, Mama & Papa
39. Slow Dance
40. Family Friend
41. Day Set
42. Revelation
43. Sleepover
44. Forever
45. Fabrics
46. Wedding
47. Honeymoon
48. Run Away
49. A New Home
50. A Future Start
51. Confronted
52. Late Night
53. A Worried Brother
54. Buddies
55. Farewell
56. Photos
57. Unbelievable
58. Exposed
59. Disgust
60. The 11th Hour
61. Traitor
62. Distance
63. Jumped
64. Doomsday
65. Long Night
66. Loyalty
68. Misunderstanding
69. Hide
70. Most Wanted
71. Dawn
72. Once And For All
73. The First Punch
74. Rumble
75. It Ends Now
76. Hospital
77. Awake
78. Reunion
79. Blessing
80. Goodbye
Epilogue
Bonus 1: Letter From Dina
Bonus 2: Letter From Petey
Bonus 3: Letter From Manuel & Dolores
Bonus 4: Letter From Edmund & Charlotte
Thank You
Bonus 5: At Harvard
Bonus 6: December
Bonus 7: February

67. Rosary

302 13 1
By unconsentingsoul

Antonio's POV

Once Dolores was able to sleep and Rafa had left, I quickly put on my sweater and climbed out my window. The cold air hit me like a sudden crash. I shivered and rubbed my arms, rethinking if it was a good idea to sneak out in the middle of the night.

But I'm a man on a mission. I know what I need to do.

I know that sooner or later, it will be time for our departure. It would be time for Mike and I to hop in his car and make the long drive to Oregon where our house is ready for us.

I've decided to visit Ms. Bella for the final time. This is part of my plan of saying goodbye to my favorite people. Next it will be Dina. And at the end, Dolores and hopefully Manny.

The cold night and heavy winds clashed against me. There were times when I wanted to turn around and go back home. I didn't even know if Ms. Bella was awake. I'd be disturbing an old lady's rest.

Luckily, when I reached her house, the porch light was on, meaning she was awake. And she quickly answered the door.

"Antonio? You shouldn't be out!" She quickly grabbed me and pushed me into her home. She locked the door. I noticed she was holding a shotgun.

"Why are you still awake, senora? It's midnight." I told her. She peaked outside the window and then quickly shut the curtain.

"My boy. It's dangerous out. I saw two fights on my way home from the store. Then I heard about your brother. It's not good to be out right now." She said. She motioned for me to sit on the couch.

"Yeah, Rafa told us it was gonna get pretty bad. I didn't know it would be this fast." I said. "Why are you awake right now?" I asked her.

"I feel like some thugs might try to break in. I'm keeping my guard up." She held up her gun.

"Uh, Ms. Bella." I said. She turned to me. "I think it's time." I said. She looked at me for a few seconds before walking towards me and giving me a tight hug.

"I knew time was coming. Promise me this." She said. She cupped my face into her soft hands and stared deep in my eyes.

"You've done so much for me. You can ask anything." I told her.

"Promise to live your life without anyone holding you back. No matter where you and Michael go, promise that no one will get in the way of living your best. You deserve this, Antonio." She said.

"I promise. I'll live my best with Michael." I said. She grabbed a necklace from off her neck and put it on my neck.

"Here. To protect you. Keep this and never let it go." I looked down and saw she had put a rosary on my neck. The rosary had wooden beads in a black thick string. The cross in the bottom was also carved from wood.

"I won't ever let this go." I said. I gave her a quick hug. A tight one. So tight, I thought I might snap her bones.

"You know how to cook, right?" She asked.

"Yeah. A bit." I replied.

"And there's a college nearby, right?" She asked.

I nodded. "In the same city. A small community college." I said. She smiled and kissed my cheek.

"You're a bright boy. This might be the last time I see you. I'll always be thankful I ran into you that day when I almost got run over."

"Same to you, ma'am. You were like a mother to me. I don't know how to thank you, but I'll never take your kindness for granted." I told her. She smiled at me, her face wrinkles becoming more prominent.

"You can thank me by living. Live for me. Live for Michael. Live for your parents. All this will be worth it in the end." She said.

"I have to go, senora. It's getting late." I said.

"Yeah. You should." She pulled me in for one last hug. We stood in her dark living room, just hugging each other and not wanting to let go. Because who knows when we'll see each other again.

She wiped a few tears away.

"Come on. You need to get home." She said. She escorted me to the front door.

"Guess this is goodbye." I said.

"Think of it as an opportunity for a future hello." She replied.

"Goodbye, Ms. Bella." I said.

"Goodbye, Antonio." She said. She opened the door and watched as I walked into the dark of night.

I turned and gave a final wave as she also waved back. Then I ran in the direction of my home. That old woman has been one of the reasons why I haven't gone down a dark path. She always encouraged me to do the right thing and follow my heart. It's a gift that can't be bought nor sold.

I finally made it home. Luckily, it doesn't seem like anyone noticed I was gone. I climbed into my window and opened my bedroom door. Dolores' room was still closed. Poor Dolores. She must be in pain.

The rosary on my neck was removed. I put it on my desk along with my other things. Then, I sat on my bed and finally let the tears out. I sobbed hard, not being able to imagine that this is my life. Where my parents are dead, my brother in a coma, the love of my life miles away, and me being labeled a traitor by all my peers. Could it really get any worse?

That was a question left up to debate the next day when I had woken up from my sleep. I rubbed my eyes, figuring that last night's sob fest left my eyes puffy. I got up and gathered some spare clothes and took a quick shower with cold water.

But the house was quiet. Usually, Manny would be up right now, walking around in his heavy boots with Dolores would be humming music in the kitchen. I would be in my room getting ready or at the table. And sometimes Rafa or Juan or Alejandro would be in the house with Manny conducting business.

But it's silent. I noticed when I stepped into the living room and saw no one was up. And by no one, I mean Dolores. I knocked on her bedroom door. She let out a soft 'Come in, Antonio'. Her voice was croaked.

I opened the door and saw her in bed, covered in two blankets. Her hair was a mess, her eyes were red. She held out her arms for me to go hug her. And I did. She placed her head on my shoulders.

"You okay?" I asked.

"A bit. I'll be soon. I just miss Manuel." She replied.

"Do you need anything?" I asked.

"Can you make coffee? I'm a bit hungry." She replied.

"Yeah, sure. Who's taking me to school?" I asked. Usually, Manny would have someone over and they would escort me to school. Or he would drive me if he had the time.

"Please don't be mad, but you aren't going to school for a while." She told me.

"I understand. It makes sense." I said.

She patted my cheek.

"If it's alright with you, I'm gonna be in bed for the whole day. I don't feel good." She said. I nodded and let her know I would be doing all the work.

I left her room, closed the door, and went to make breakfast. Coffee and pan dulce. A simple meal. I also cleaned up the messes. It felt weird not being in school. But based on my previous day where I was a social pariah, it's best I stay home.

During my free time, I looked in the closet and found a luggage bag. I checked the whole bag and saw my mom's name written on a tag. This belonged to her. No doubt. She ran away with dad in search for a better life. And now, I will do the same.

I packed a bit of my clothes, including some of the expensive ones Mike bought me. Then I packed my prized possessions. Letters from Mike, his marriage ring, the rosary, and my documents.

I pretty much have everything ready now to leave. All I need to do is contact Mike and let him know I'm ready. And hopefully he'll be ready too. Then we say goodbye.

And off we'll be, walking into a new life of uncertainty. But certain, is love.

------

<3 <3 <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

238K 13.4K 41
There first meeting wasn't great. One was called rude and the other thought he was childish. More than one encounters couldn't just be an incident. B...
73.6K 2.2K 86
Samuel "Sammy" Albright was your normal New York teen; his mother was a famous doctor, his sister was married to a famous socialite, and his brother...
418K 22.1K 77
"Who are we? Well for starters, this is my prince, my heart, the love of my undead life." "And this is Kai, my guard." ** Despite their lethal bites...
90.4K 698 6
So forbidden it's borderline illegal. It feels illegal in a town like this. It was just sex. Ridiculous, I hate you sex with the one guy in school I...