79. Blessing

Antonio's POV

Antonio's POV

I stared at Manny, him having a questioning look plastered on his face. Most likely Dolores told him about my plan to run away. He was bound to know eventually. So I might as well come clean.

"Good morning to you too." I said, walking in and closing the door behind me.

"Were you always planning on running away?" He asked.

"No. We were planning on just coming out after graduation. Then we moved it to after the fight. And then we both realized we could never be happy together here. And so we planned on running away." I laid it all out for Manny.

"So you were just going to leave without saying goodbye? Am I that much of a second thought to you?" Manny had a sad look on his face.

I walked over to his side and sat on the bed. "It's not that. It's cause I knew you would never let me go." I told him.

"You're damn right I wouldn't! You think I'd let you leave with someone I've never met?! Are you trying to sign your death? You're a smart kid! Did you forget logic?!" Manny angrily spat at me.

"You don't know Mike like I do. He's kind hearted. He's amazing. He cares for me. He even tried to save me from a bullet. No matter your premonitions of him, I know him better than everyone else." I said.

"I'm not letting you go! You're not going anywhere. God! I wake up after weeks to this kind of shit!" Manny yelled.

"Calm down, Manny." I told him.

"Calm down? Calm down?! How am I supposed to? You want to leave! You-You can't leave! No! You can't!" Manny broke down crying. He sobbed into hands.

I brought my arm and hugged Manny close to my side. He sobbed on my shoulder, holding me tight.

"I can't let you leave." He sobbed into my arm.

"And why not, Manny? Are you worried about Michael? He's a good guy." I softly told him.

"It's not that." He wiped his tears away. "Before mama and papa died, they made me promise I would look after you. To step up and make sure nothing happens to you. How am I supposed to do that if you're away?" He said in a frail, weak voice.

"You did your job, Manny. You protected me for so long. I'm thankful for that. Even if I sometimes didn't want it. But I'm older now. It's time for me to be responsible. And I won't be alone. I have someone who'll be by my side."

Manny let a tear slip and tried hard not to break down.

"Where are you moving to?" He asked without looking me in the eye.

"Oregon." I said.

"That's too far! I can't let you move all the way over there. It's too far!" Manny said.

"Please, Manny. I'll send you and Dolores messages constantly. Mike has lots of money to support us. I'm going to a community college nearby. We'll have a good life." I pleaded with him.