Accidents Made Right 1: Pista...

By CameronMyers561

"Grief can blind us if you let it consume you." Steve Berkan, the smartest man alive still coming to terms w... More

In Loving Memory
Chapter 1: Dear Diary, Here's Some Exposition
Chapter 2: Steve's Perspective
Chapter 3: My First Friend
Chapter 4: Rowan's Perspective
Chapter 5: Manipulative Truths
Chapter 6: Dear Diary, I Think I'm In Love
Chapter 7: Sneaking Out
Chapter 8: Manipulated Emotions
Chapter 9: The School of Creation
Chapter 10: +20 XP Gained
Chapter 11: A Magical Discovery
Chapter 12: The First Of Many Tragedies
Chapter 13: A New Start
Chapter 14: Storming The Bunkers
Chapter 15: Sparring Frenemies
Chapter 16: Like My Father
Chapter 17: Secret Reunion
Chapter 18: Hiding In Between The Lines
Chapter 19: Another Knightmare
Chapter 20: Hospitalized Discoveries
Chapter 21: Parasitic Possession
Chapter 22: The First Assignment
Chapter 23: Story Time
Chapter 24: The Impossible Simulation
Chapter 25: The Truth Comes Out
Chapter 26: Removing The Plant's Thorns
Chapter 27: A Father's Wish
Chapter 28: Did Somebody Order A Pizza?
Chapter 29: Springing The Trap
Chapter 30: Man V.S. Cyborg
Chapter 31: Teamwork Makes The Dreamwork
Chapter 32: Saving Your Crush
Chapter 33: A Field Of Beauty
Chapter 34: A Position Of Power
Chapter 35: Seeking Advice
Chapter 36: Abusive Recollections
Chapter 37: New Party Member Aquired
Chapter 38: Jealousy's Not Fun
Chapter 39: Preparing For Revenge
Chapter 40: The Moment Before The Battle
Chapter 41: Hope For The Best, Prepare For The Worst
Chapter 42: Back At The Top... For Now
Chapter 43: Unexplained Tragedies
Chapter 44: The Home Turf
Chapter 46: Why I Love Him
Chapter 47: Enemy Scouting
Chapter 48: "Must Be Another Drill"
Chapter 49: A Military Attacks A Child
Chapter 50: Splitting Apart
Chapter 51: One In The Same
Chapter 52: Being The Side Character In Your Own Story
Chapter 53: When One Door Closes...
Chapter 54: Father V.S. Son
Chapter 55: Somebody To Lean On
Author's Note

Chapter 45: My Condolences

0 0 0
By CameronMyers561

I started observing the blueprint, seeing if the base had anything in it that the base needed to remain functional. After a couple seconds, I spotted a nuclear reactor, deep in the middle of the facility.

Hmm, that's good. A classic 'destroy the reactor and destroy the entire building with it' scenario, I thought to myself.

Noticing something weird about the blueprint, I thought Wait a minute. There's nothing in the base that would require a reactor's power.

Then why use a reactor, Hope asked.

"Take a guess," I heard a voice say in front of me. I saw a dark blue light being shot out of the top right corner of the blueprint, and I followed the light to a man in dark blue jeans, a black suit, and a white tie. The man had the darkest possible brown eyes one could have, and he also had white skin and brown hair.

I noticed he looked very similar to Rowan, so I said with a hateful expression "Robert."

"Wow, you're a smart cookie," the man responded.

"So, let me guess, you somehow put a fail safe on the swords that allowed you to come to me as a hologram whenever I made something with the swords, back when your family had them in your possession?"

"Hah! Good guess, but... no. I have other ways of talking with you whenever I want. This one is just the first I've used," Robert answered.

"Bet you're pretty upset we've been destroying the armies you sent after us."

Before Robert could respond, I continued, saying "Or, let me guess. You see us as a 'test' for your soldiers, and whomever can kill me and bring back Rowan is prime general material?"

Seeing I was finally done talking, Robert explained "Part of the reason, yeah. Now... I bet that you're pretty pissed to see me."

"What made you think that," I said sarcastically. I tried to show as little emotion as possible, because I knew Robert was going to try and rile me up.

"Oh I don't know. I just thought that you'd still care that I killed your parents. But then again, guess I should've suspected you forgot about them."

Dammit. I walked straight into that one.

I tried with all my strength to hide the intense hate for Robert boiling up in me, a hate so intense it could light my blood on fire.

"What was that they said? 'Follow your heart, and let your mind guide you'," Robert said as he placed his hand under his chin in a thinking pose.

"How did you..."

Ignoring my obvious confusion, he said "Oh, actually, I just realized I forgot that you never actually saw your parents die! Lucky you! Well, guess I can make up for that by telling you how it happened."

Please, don't.

"They rushed into battle, screaming out for everybody to retreat. They fought by themselves, distracting my army so everybody could escape. They were pretty decent, managing to distract my entire army. They could've destroyed it all, if it wasn't for me," he said menacingly.

No, no no no... please... don't.

"They didn't even stand a chance against me. They barely survived a minute. But oh boy, were they fun. Definitely the most satisfying kills I've ever had."

"SHUT UP," I yelled out as I grabbed the sword next to be and threw it at the hologram, but saw it went straight through it.

"Just imagine, seeing the light leave their eyes, the both of them knowing... that my victory is inevitable."

I hopped over the table and started trying to punch the hologram, despite knowing it wouldn't do anything.

"I," Robert started to say as I slowly lost my energy from trying and failing to hurt him.

"Will."

Eventually, the tears started trying to make their way up, but I pushed them back down.

"Always."

I dropped to my knees, still trying to punch him, but to no avail.

"Win," he finished right before the hologram shut off, leaving me to myself, wanting to make him feel exactly what I was feeling.

I eventually started to cry, and I heard Rowan run up the stairs and up the attic, see the state I was in, and quickly ran in front of me, crouched down, and grabbing me by the head and waist, holding me in his arms.

I wanted to return the affection, but I couldn't. I didn't have the strength. I tried to lift my arms up to hug him back, but couldn't.

"Shh... shh... you don't have to hug me back. It's alright, I'm here for you," Rowan said quietly as he gently caressed my hair and gently put my head into his shoulder, allowing me to cry into it.

I love you, so, so much. I wish I had the strength to tell you just how much I want to hold you back, but... I'm too much of a coward to try.

"I...," I tried to say, but Rowan stopped me, saying "Shh... you don't have to tell me about it, at least not for now. Just rest."

God, he's so... perfect. Everything about him.

We just sat there, Rowan holding me in his arms, for several minutes, neither of us wanting it to stop.

I... I don't deserve him.

After a long process of using the attack bunker to kill hundreds of the invading soldiers, eventually, the warfare stopped.

I used the cameras to make sure their was no remaining soldiers, and then I used a gauntlet to teleport back inside the barn's living room, before plopping down in the soft chair in the corner of the living room and sighing.

I sat there in silence, for several minutes, until that silence was interrupted by an unmistakable voice. "How's my second son doing?"

"Father," I said, acknowledging his presence.

...

My father said nothing, just smiling as he looked out the window. So, I broke the silence, asking him "Why the constant attacks? I mean, I can understand trying to keep the illusion alive, but aren't you wasting recourses and men?"

"Son, listen. When you're as powerful and as smart as me, you can make these resources faster than Steve can learn things."

Father walked closer to the window, past the wooden chair, and slowly inspected his reflection.

"But won't Steve figure out this is all an act? He's smart."

"I think I feel a mustache coming on... I hate mustaches."

"Father, are you even listening?"

My father looked at me, frowning, and said "I know how to multitask son."

Continuing, he said "And to answer your question, as long as he sees himself as a threat to me, I'll continue attacking."

...

"You wanna know something, son," he said as he continued inspecting his appearance.

"W-what?"

"Steve believes that his ability to use the swords is connected to his emotions... but he's wrong."

"Then... w-what are they connected t-to?"

...

"His ability to be corrupted."

"H-huh?"

"Let me explain. You see, it can only be used when a warrior is unwilling to join the other side. It's my final failsafe, which makes it so, as long as the warrior is fully dedicated to their side, they can use the power of the swords."

"B-but, Steve still has trouble u-using them."

My father looked up, in the direction of our attic, then me, before saying "Because you're still around."

"H-huh?"

"As long as you're still around, he'll still be 'corruptible'. As long as you're around, some part of him will be willing to join my side, if it means protecting you."

"I-I'm the one thing holding him b-back?"

"Yes. As long as he knows you're alive, he'll still have trouble using the swords' power."

"I... so, keeping me alive is your t-top p-priority?"

My father stared out the window for several minutes, but eventually, without even glancing at me, he said "Yes."

...

"SHUT UP," I heard Steve yell from the attic.

"You should probably check on him," father said.

I quickly got up from the chair, ran up the stairs, and climbed up the attic ladder, to see Steve sitting down on the ground and crying. I immediately ran up to him, sat down with him, and held him by the head and waist to comfort him.

I saw Steve trying to hug me back, but he lacked the energy. So, I told him "Shh... shh... you don't have to hug me back. It's alright, I'm here for you," as I gently caressed his rough, brown hair and put his head into my chest, allowing him to cry his heart into it.

...

"I...," Steve tried to say, but I cut him off, saying "Shh... you don't have to tell me about it, at least for now. Just rest."

We sat there for minutes on end, and I knew why. We loved each other too much to let each other go, but since we haven't told each other how we fell, we don't know how to let each other go.

Moments before I released Steve, I realized something. Something important. Something special...

This is why I loved him, and why I still love him.

Just because you think you don't deserve him, doesn't mean that's true.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.4K 792 30
First book of the ๐—ฆ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฒ๐˜€ "๐Ž๐ฎ๐ซ ๐ƒ๐ž๐ฌ๐ญ๐ข๐ง๐ฒ" What will happen when two souls who hates one another are asked to be Together Forever? ๐—œ๐˜€๏ฟฝ...
45 1 6
[INCOMPLETE] Rowan is a creature of great misunderstanding. In a world full of Mythical beings, his kind, the Anadin, are heavily hated by the whole...
229 59 46
*First in the Fire Whiskey series* 'What if I was making the wrong choice again, picking the bad guy over the steady and reliable one? Because as I...
2.6K 486 26
"Beware that you become not the very monster you ought to slay." A shapeless, abstract entity of darkness in the guise of a human. A broken swordsma...