Hello

By Ashlurstine

[Complete] A gentle, but lackadaisical construction worker named Solomon and a dreamer who is unsure of herse... More

Note
Main Glossary
Solomon's Day Off
Solomon's Family
Solomon's Phone Rage
Solomon's Attempt at Grandeur
Amber's Analysis
Solomon's Brothers in Arms
Amber's Bad Prenup
Solomon's Responsibility
Amber's Stockpile
Solomon's Error Margin
Amber's Unsigned Contract
Solomon's Bane
Amber's BFF's
Solomon's Willpower
Amber's Doubt
Solomon's Skills
Amber's Cat Prophecy
Solomon's Shoulders
Amber's Therapy
Solomon's New Boss
Amber's Penmanship
Solomon's Waves
Amber's Waking
Solomon's Fatherhood
Amber's Dream
Solomon's Fallacy
Amber's Full Stop
Solomon's Strength
Amber's Fall
Solomon's Mixup
Amber's Armor
Solomon's Wine
Amber's Disrobing
Solomon's Cargo
Amber's Deposit
Solomon's Burning Question
Amber's Secret
Solomon's Last Goodbye
Amber's Decision
Solomon's Leadership
Amber's Joy
Solomon's Promotion
Amber's Gratitude
Solomon's Dismissal
Amber's Firestorm
Solomon's Swamp
Solomon's Climb
Amber's Grit
Solomon's Mirror
Amber's Training
Solomon's Steel
Amber's Leap
Ending Note

Amber's Courtroom

14 3 2
By Ashlurstine

Amber stared at the TV. This show was good, she laughed a few times. It was good to get her mind off things.

Her body swelled with contempt. Her nerves were shakier than a three-legged chair, but she tried her best to not think about his voice, that smile, those unwavering eyes, his stupid jokes.

Closing her eyes, she tensed and opened them with renewed vigor. The thought of Solomon rebirthed her unrestrained anger. All those good times, were dead as far as she was concerned.

That liar, that womanizing, liar. Amber was mad at herself mostly. She let him into her life. He seemed so nice and he was another one of Sonia's monsters. Well, the relationship was not that far along, so she was fine cutting Solomon off at this point.

Her phone rang. Her heart lightened and she took her phone up only to see that it was Valletta.

Amber sighed, she stared at the phone ringing. Now that she thought of it, he only called her twice. Something like that she would expect him to call her back numerous times by now.

If she was wrong he would have called her more than that after a day. The fact that he did not, meant, he was caught dead to rights and he probably knew it. The call ended. Amber called Valletta.

“Open the gate, my girl, me outside,” Valletta said after answering. 

Once Valletta was inside, Amber told Valletta everything and Valletta stared at her, then she shrugged.

Amber continued, “Boy, Valletta you were right. But I think I will take a break first, you realize? Solomon just...” Amber sighed. “I need to stop picking these men, what you think?”

Valletta said nothing. Then she leaned up from the couch, stared sideways, and said, “I guess Sonia will have him all for herself.”

Amber wished it was not so. Part of her felt like everything fell apart when it was good. Still, Amber cared for Solomon. He seemed like a good man. Solomon was nice, a bit corny, but he radiated so much warmth and gentleness in his words and smile and... 

Amber inhaled with a sharp sound. “Me nuh support that. Using men like their ATMs. A bare a that Sonia do and she need to stop.”

Valletta dropped her elbow on her knee and stared blankly. “Like men are any better, it's just the game we all have to play. This ain't no romance novel.”

“I wish it was. Me woulda ride off into the sunset a long time ago.”

Valletta chuckled. “If only life was like that. But me really want to know...why you really dump him?”

“I told you. I think he is cheating on me.”

“Okay.”

"What?"

"Nothing."

"No, seriously, what?"

Valletta stared at Amber and with a turn of her head, her eyes rolled. "Sound like you were waiting to do it."

“Wha' that supposed to mean, you heard what Sonia said about him.”

“You even sure Sonia told you the truth about Solomon? This is Sonia we are talking about here. Sonia. Lying, conniving Sonia. If she learned you were with her victim, oh, I mean her friend. I would make sure you stay away from him too.”

Sonia and Valletta have always had a shaky relationship. Or better yet they were only friends with Amber, while tolerating each other. The number of times Sonia and Valletta were at each other's necks couldn't be measured.

Amber knew better than to defend Sonia. Even Amber was disapproving of her actions. As much as Amber was angry with Solomon it could not be denied Sonia should not be using the man like that.

“Didn't you like him?” Valletta asked.

“Of course I did, but I cannot be with a cheater, again.”

“Him? Solomon?” Valletta snorted and laughed. “I doubt that.”

“You don't know him either.”

“Tell me then, you spent the most time with him.”

Amber thought back. In all honesty, he seemed the opposite of everything Sonia said. 

The phone rang. It was Michaela.

Amber said, “Answer.”

The call initiated and then Amber heard a bombshell. “Oy, what kind of bloodfire thing that you come do, a call up me name with Solomon!?”

Valletta leaned up with a mischievous smirk. Amber was shocked. Did Solomon call Michaela?

Of course, Michaela said she never kissed him. Solomon probably went to confirm what was said between them.

Amber cleared her throat and tried to remain calm. She only needed to navigate this properly. Amber winced, for she should not have mentioned it. It just slipped out in the moment. Amber sighed and said, “Listen it was not about you. This was between me and Solomon.”

“Oooooh, between you and him, okay then. Please note the call is on speaker. Tell Solomon what I told you and what Valletta told you.”

Amber was dumbfounded as she started sweating profusely. The air conditioner must not have been working. 

“Why are you at his house?”

“Amber, I told you already. I live near him. It was not that hard to come over when he called me and told me this slackness you are spreading.”

Amber retorted strongly, “I am not spreading any slackness.”

“Amber I did not kiss Solomon. Even Valletta knew and told you and you come a lie pon me? Me? I look like the battaears pack you used to be friends with?”

Amber groaned aloud. This was not the way she was expecting this day to go. Amber heard some voices in the background, but she could not pick out the words. 

“I wish Valletta was there,” Michaela said.

“Present!” Valletta said.

“Valletta darling, I am so glad you're there girl,” Michaela said with joy.

“You know me, I had to be here in Amber's traumatic time.”

Amber sent Valletta a death stare for that. 

“Valletta what did I tell you back then, what was the bet we had?”

“That if Solomon roll in, the man them would run.”

“Thank you. That is what I told her Solomon. Is lie she telling.”

Solomon finally spoke, “Yeah.”

“I was not telling a lie. That is what I saw,” Amber cut in.

Michaela started, “Vallett—”

“Don't draw me into this. I was not exactly able to see. You were on the other side of his face, so I am not sure what you did around there," Valletta interrupted.

Michaela replied, “Whatever, Solomon tell them I did not kiss you. I whispered in your ear.”

“Hello, how yuh just a tell him what him fi say and how him fi say it?” Amber cut in.

Solomon mumbled, “Ahhh, me...” He gave up. 

Michaela said, “Leave him alone. Is yuh a the problem, me have to come down here and a console him. Yuh a stress him out fi something that did not happen.”

Amber slapped her chest. “Me? Listen here, you know what me wa' know, how yuh reach a him yard? A mus yuh was there all along?! Yuh tun him lawyer all of a sudden!”

“At least I got his back, yuh wou—”

“Amber, Michaela,” Solomon projected his voice. Deep and booming, it coursed through the speaker leaving pure silence. Solomon sighed, continuing, “Amber, the woman you heard was not Michaela, it was Shanice. Me best friend's sister.”

“Hi.” That voice, yes, that was her.

Solomon said, “She got kicked out of her parent's house. She asked and me give her the spare room. She is not my girlfriend and we are not having nothing. Me sorry, that is on me, you see me? Me just helping a friend out. Me nuh want to throw her business out there."

Amber's heart plummeted down a deep ravine into the depths of nowhere. If her head got replaced by a donkey, it wouldn't be out of place.

Valletta made a facial shrug at Amber. Amber cut her eyes. 

“The kissing thing, now. Me sorry, you never shoulda see that. Nothing happen, trust me. Me really did not think she was going to do that. But what happened, happened,” Solomon finished.  

Amber moaned low as she looked down to see Cyribus around her legs. Cyribus snarled at Valletta. Valletta blew out her tongue at Cyribus. Cyribus whipped her head up and away before stalking off.

“Solomon...” Amber was not sure what to say. This was irritating, for Amber hated being put on the spot. She desired time to think. “Can we talk later, can you call me about this later? My head a kill me. Me want some sleep right now.”

Solomon replied with a lighter inflection in his voice, “So, we are good? Right? Right?”

Her eyes rolled. He was like a child sometimes. “Yeah, yeah, yeah,” Amber said. 

Amber pressed the red button ending the call. Valletta stared surprised at the action Amber took.

Amber rubbed her face and groaned when she leaned back.

Valletta leaned off her palm and laughed. 

Amber said, "Can't believe this…" Everything came crashing down on her. Why the hell did he call Michaela in the first place? Amber knew she shouldn't have mentioned Michaela.

Why did she even brought up the discussion in the first place? She did want to know, but she didn't want to know like this.

This indicated one thing, Solomon liked to keep Information of people he knew close to his chest.

Whether it was about his son and baby mother, or Shanice. Amber was honest with him about everything, but for some reason, he didn't want to be honest with her.

Why was that? Did that mean all men were liars and they always had to lie?

Amber breathed into her palm and her face warmed under the flush of heat. 

Valletta said, "Yo, him come correct."

"Never expect that."

"So, you're back together again?"

Amber's fingers parted from her eyes. "Shut up."

Valletta's laughter crackled in Amber's mind.

Mini-Glossary

Bloodfire - used alone or as a noun or verb in various phrases to express surprise, disbelief, or shock

Battaears - a derogatory term meant for females considered low class and lacking ambition.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

695 76 14
Vote, Comment & Share.♥️
59.7K 4.2K 49
WARNING!!!! explicit language, abuse and strong sexual content. "Mi tired a yuh a swear 🤬!" I say out loud then quickly regret it. "Repeat weh yuh j...
3.8K 277 22
Nathan Brooks. A 23 year old college student finding his way between the walls of a rather small dry cleaners shop. He strives for the simple college...
44.5K 1.5K 97
Meet Sarah, 20 years, a sweet and tender-hearted young girl, who, despite facing the harshness of life, always puts others' needs before her own. Her...