Every New Beginning... (Chris...

De belleofmarvel

Every New Beginning Comes From Some Other Beginnings End I'd have been completely fine, living in my littl... Mais

.1.
.2.
.3.
.4.
.5.
.6.
.7.
.8.
.9.
.10.
.11.
.12.
.13.
.14.
.15.
.16.
.17.
.18.
.19.
.20.
.21.
.22.
.23.
.24.
.25.
.26.
.27.
.28.
.29.
.30.
.31.
.32.
.33.
.34.
.35.
.36.
.37.
.38.
.39.
.40.
.41.
.42.
.43.
.44.
.45.
.46.
.47.
.48.
.49.
.50.
.51.
.52.
.53.
.54.
.55.
.56.
.57.
.58.
.59.
.60.
.61.
.62.
.63.
.64.
.65.
.66.
.67.
.68.
.69.
.70.
.71.
.72.
.73.
.74.
.75.
.76.
.77.
.78.
.79.
.80.
.81.
.82.
.83.
.84.
.85.
.86.
.87.
.88.
.89.
.90.
.91.
.92.
.93.
.93.
.94.
.95.
.96.
.97.
.98.
.99.
100
.101.
.102.
.103.
.104.
.105.
.106.
.107.
.108.
.109.
.110.
.111.
.112.
.113.
.114.
.115.
.116.
.117.
.118.
.119.
.120.
.121.
.122.
.123.
.124.
.125.
.126.
.127.
.128.
.129.
.130.
.131.
.132.
.133.
.134.
.135.
.136.
.137.
.138.
.139.
.140.
.141.
.142.
.143.
.144.
.145.
.146.
.147.
.148.
.149.
.150.
.151.
.152.
.153.
.154.
.155.
.156.
.157.
.158.
.159.
.160.
.161.
.162.
.163.
.164.
.165.
.166.

.167. ~FINAL~

663 28 17
De belleofmarvel

Opal POV

  "So the plan is what exactly?" Rae asks as I rock Giovanni to sleep in his nursery. 

  I run my thumb down the bridge of his nose, watching his eyes get heavier and heavier with each pass. "The realtor came out yesterday and listed it this morning."

  "Wow. That's fast." She continues to fold the baby's clothes and put them away. 

  A sigh escapes my mouth as my tired eyes go back to her. "What's fast is that there's already been three offers just since noon."

  "You know you don't have to do it, right?" I give her a shrug of my shoulders and close my tired eyes. "He would understand, especially if things have really changed for you."

  I can feel my lower lip begin to quiver as my eyes start to burn. "I've lost a lot of sleep lately, so I'm not sure I can make the best decisions anymore. Feels like maybe I should let him make this decision for me." I chuckle lightly, "ya know, let him make one more decision for me even if it is from 'beyond the grave.'"

  I feel her gentle hand on my shoulder now. "You know we'll support you with whatever you decide to do, Ope. We just want you to be happy again."

  My hand reaches up, resting over Rae's hand on my shoulder. I give it a soft squeeze. "You all are the best family a girl good ask for."

  "Friends are the family you get to choose. Don't ever forget that," she tells me, kissing the top of my head before reaching down to take her sleeping son. 

  "When did you turn into a walking Hallmark card?"

  "Be glad this conversation is with me and not Lily," she reminds me, causing me to nod in agreement although I know that talk will still have to happen too. "So, when are you going?"

  "I'm gonna drive out in a week I think. I told the realtor I'd make a choice on offers by tomorrow night. The way the market is right now, she said nothing is staying listed for very long. She gave me the name of a commercial realtor. She's already setting up some meetings for me."

  "What about Dr. Maxwell? You gonna keep seeing him?" she sets a sleeping G in his crib and motions for me to follow her out of the room. I stifle a giggle as I watch her tiptoe quietly away from the crib and through the door.

  "That's the plan, for now, anyways. We'll see how things progress."

  "Did you ever finish question 3?" she asks as I follow her down the hall.

  "I'm working on it. That one isn't as simple as the first two. It's gonna take time, I think," I tell her. Walking towards the front door I pull my cardigan on and grab my keys off the foyer table. 

  Rae pulls me into a hug, squeezing me tightly and holding me a little longer than usual. "I'm gonna miss you, Ope."

  "Don't," I warn her. "If I can't find the right place then you'll be stuck with me for longer."

  She pulls back slightly, her hands holding my arms. "You've got this."

  "I hope so."

  Rae shakes her head slowly, a tiny grin forming on her lips. "No hope so. Know so."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  "And that's a cash offer?" I ask Bonnie over the phone the following night.

  "Yes it is," her chirpy voice answers. "Not just a cash offer, but they want to close in two weeks at most."

  "Oh. That's um, that's fast." My heart starts to race a bit as I begin to falter on these decisions. 

  "It's just how the market is right now. If you wait a couple more days you may get a higher offer, but longer closing. Can I make a suggestion?"

  Why on earth I nod my head when she can't see it before realizing I actually need to use words. "Of course, this is your area of expertise."

  "I think this is going to overall be the best you get. You could get a higher offer, but if the buyer's mortgage company doesn't feel that the house is worth it, that could stall the whole process. Cash really is king in a seller's market."

  I set the phone on the coffee table and run my hands through my hair, pulling it up and using the band around my wrist to secure it in place. My stomach flips as soon as I start to say the words, "alright. Let's go with that one."

  "Wonderful! I'll email the paperwork over to you and let them know you accept. Congratulations, Miss Lucas!" 

  The fear that's causing my heart to beat faster doesn't quite match Bonnie's enthusiasm. And I start silently counting in my head. "Thanks for your help."

  "Sure thing! Oh, did Chelsea get in touch with you yet? About those commercial listings?"

 Before I can answer I have to swallow down the bile that's threatening to make an appearance. "Yeah, she did. I'm meeting with her in just a few days actually. Which, thanks to you I now remember I need to book a rental car," I think quickly, trying to get off the call. "I better take care of that now before it slips my mind again."

  "Okay then! Be on the lookout for those DocuSigns," she reminds me again before we give our goodbyes and hang up. 

  I head into the small home office, which really isn't much larger than a walk in closet. A few clicks on my computer and I'm staring at multiple rental options, all to be picked up from the airport. When I finally decide on just a small compact car, since it will just be  me making the trip, I notice my hand shaking as it hovers over the mouse pad, waiting for me to confirm my information. 

  I jerk my hand away, shaking it out as if that will change the anxiety I feel coursing through my veins. I give myself a moment, leaning up on my elbows, resting against the desk. My hands clasped, I sit my chin on the top of them. I close my eyes, take a deep breath, and I see him. 

  In my mind's eye, he's sitting on his porch waiting for me. His face lighting up the closer I get to his steps. He meets me right in front of his door, taking my hands in his. "No matter what, keep writing your story, Ope." 

  I feel a slight calm come over me. It's strong enough to make me open my eyes and click confirm on the website.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "So this one probably needs the most work, but it has some of the strongest history," Chelsea informs me as I follow her down the cobblestone sidewalk towards the next home. "It was built in the 1800s, but because of its location, it wasn't effected by the fire during the Civil War."

  "Wow, that is definitely incredible," I agree with her as we round the corner. I lift my eyes from the path and take in the gorgeous Victorian home in front of me. There's an immediate surge through me that I actually stop walking and just stare.

  Chelsea notices and stands beside me. "Good right?" her brows wiggle as she smirks. 

  "Unless the inside is just one big hole, I think this might be it." 

  She motions for me to follow her again, leading me up the continuous cobblestone path to the stairs. I take a moment to let my mind wander at the possibilities of this incredible porch. Chelsea must notice because she chimes in "it's a wrap around, too."  I may or may not have squealed. 

  The outside of the house is painted yellow, with grey trimmings. My mind is already at work, thinking about how beautiful it could be painted grey with black and white trimmings. "Ready to see inside?" I give a nod while my head is still looking at the worn railings.

  "So it's six thousand square feet, six bedrooms, six baths," Chelsea informs me as she unlocks the front door. "Lots of windows on both floors."  I follow behind her, my heels clacking against the old flooring. "As you can see, it needs some work."

  She walks on, leaving me to look around the bottom floor. I'm not sure how, but I'm barely registering the dilapidated state of the home. Instead, I can already see placement of the front desk, a couch in the sitting room, and the tables for the dining area. I even find myself grinning when I notice a window seat directly across from the place I'd install the check in desk. 

  "Just as I thought," Chelsea begins, coming back with a specs paper. "Central everything, heating, air and gas."

  "Are all of the bedrooms upstairs?"

  "Five of the six, along with restrooms," she answers. She moves ahead of me onto the stairs. "Watch your step, I'm not sure about the sturdiness."

  I hold onto the banister, taking in its intricate woodwork. I wouldn't change anything about it, except giving it some tender love and care, much like the rest of the home. 

  "Now, one room is bigger than the others, along with the bathroom." I poke my head into the smaller rooms, noticing they're practically perfect in size to hold the beds that most Inn's offer. "Here we are," she says, gesturing towards the door that sits in the middle of the upper area. "Go ahead."

  I push the door open to find a very spacious area. Just a couple steps in and I notice that this room has a balcony. A quick jiggle to the handle and it pops open easily. I take a careful step out, noticing that there are holes in the floor of the balcony. "You may want to just get rid of this all together," Chelsea suggests.

  I'm turned away from her, so she can't see the tiny smile playing on my lips. "Nah, just needs some TLC." I finally notice the view from this spot, straight into the city. "This could be a great honeymoon suite."

  "Well if you think that by just the balcony, check out the bathroom."

  The bathroom holds double sinks, a stand up shower, but the best part is the claw foot tub. "Original?" I ask, my eyes threatening to bug out of my head.

  "Original."

  We continue our journey through the home, looking at all the nooks and crannies. I know, as a business woman, that I'm not suppose to show my cards, but I can't keep the smile off of my face. 

  "What do you think?" Chelsea asks as we make our way back out onto the porch. 

  "I think it's incredible." I walk down the steps back to the cobblestone walkway before turning back around, taking in the building as a whole. "I want to make an offer."

  "Are you sure? It's gonna be a lot of work for one person."

  "I've got a lot of blood, sweat and tears to put somewhere, might as well be here." I nod my head again as my smile grows wider. "I want it."

  I follow Chelsea back to her car where she lays out all the information for me. I sign a contract with the offer before she tells me she'll let me know as soon as she hears something. I give a quick wave as I walk over to my rental. Just as I step off the curb and onto the pavement again, I stumble, reaching out I grab the hood of the car. A lift of my foot shows me that my heel is still laying on the pavement. "Some things never change." I grab the broken heel from the ground and slip both shoes off, tossing them into the floorboard of the rental. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris POV

    I park the cruiser off the side of the highway, making sure the radar gun is pointed in the right direction. Once it's in place I sit back against my seat.

  "So," Cooper begins. For whatever reason the man's voice makes me roll my eyes now. "Two weeks is almost up. You ready for that date with Tinsley?"

  I tap away at the computer in the car, my eyes flitting between it and the radar. "Actually going out tonight," I sigh. 

  "Nice!" He slaps my shoulder. "Good for you, man. Get back out there."

  I don't respond to his clambering as he goes on and on about how it's time for me to move on with my life, or at the very least find some enjoyment from a woman again. The man really hasn't changed much like we all thought he had. He'll always be Coop. 

  "Where ya taking her?"

  "Doubling with Spencer and Laura at Decker's," I answer. 

  Cooper scoffs loudly, shaking his head. "That's not a date if you're going with her brother and your ex's best friend. Don't you think that'll be awkward and a waste?"

  "Oh, I can guarantee it'll be awkward, but not for me," I chuckle. "Laura can't stand Tinsley. Says she reminds her too much of herself." 

  "Damn, maybe I need Spence to set me up with his sister then."

  The two of them would certainly make more sense than Tinsley and I. Just as I'm about to mention I'd pass on the word to the siblings the radar gun flashes red and beeps. I flip the lights and sirens on as I pull out onto the highway, maneuvering behind the speeding car. 

  The driver notices the flashing lights and pulls off on to the shoulder of the road. "Your turn," I tell Cooper as I start running the tag through the computer. He unbuckles and climbs out of the car. I double check the dashcam and keep my eyes on Cooper, watching for anything that might go wrong. 

  It doesn't take long before he's walking back with the license. He climbs back into his seat. "It's a rental, so no information on the car."  I can tell he's holding back a grin as he passes me the license. My brows furrow in confusion as I watch him.

  I set the license by the computer screen and get ready to type in the information when my heart begins to race. A quick glance at Cooper reveals a quirked brow, he gives me a nod, pointing towards the car.

  Grabbing the license I open the driver's side door and begin walking up to the window that is still rolled down. I can't hold back the smirk that overtakes my lips.

  "Hi, gorgeous."

             **The End**

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

113K 2.6K 92
Newly rewritten It started at Christmas containing fluff and smut I hope you guys will like it it is my first time writing. and English isnt my first...
79.7K 1.7K 37
* contains smut (unprotected sex), mentions of violentce, mentions of abusive parents and toxic relationships* y/n gets a nanny job at some rich peop...
13.2K 995 33
"Both feet steady on the curb, Steve looked up at the house. For a moment, wondering what it looked like before. Glancing to his left and right, Stev...
7.7K 268 63
Zoe William's life has been lonely beginning being left at a Boston police station when she was 5 with no memories besides her name . She has never f...