The Diabolical

By themoonlightdemon

Rose Hawthorne is the empress of Goterra Empire who ruled the country with iron fist. At first, Rose wasn't t... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49 - End

13

1.1K 94 1
By themoonlightdemon

  THIRD-PERSON POV

  Gisele smiled as she lifted her sword.

  "Commander, we manage to locate the enemy camps. As per your orders, they were exactly near the frozen rivers. Those barbarians probably thought the river won't freeze in such weather." Elfie chuckled as she watched Gisele continue to sharpen her sword.

  "Oh really? Get the troops ready. We will attack their base as soon as everyone can get ready." Gisele lifted her sword once again and smiled at Elfie.

  "Commander, do you think the knights will be able to survive such harsh weather?" Gisele smirked.

  "What do you mean? I'm sure nothing can compare to how they've been training under my instruction. It's just a snowstorm. They will manage." Gisele turned around before swinging her sword to a nearby tree branch.

  "My weapon is ready." Gisele chuckled.

  "Commander- I don't think it's wise of you and your troops to attack the enemy's camp. You should stay here and guard the village." Gisele smiled before patting the countess's cheek.

  "Oh- don't worry. I'll leave some of my knights to guard the village." the countess couldn't say anything back since Gisele seemed determined to continue with the original plan.

  "Now- it's time for us to return the favor tenfold."

  MEANWHILE ON THE BATTLEFIELD

  "Commander!" Elfie screamed as he ran towards Gisele with his sword raised. Elfie manages to stop the barbarian's attack and push him back.

  "Die!" The barbarian screamed as he swung his ax, but Gisele lunged forward and pierced his neck with his sword.

  "That was easy. How are you holding up, Elfie? Will you be able to continue?" Elfie nodded her head before wiping the blood off his face.

  "Commander! I accidentally swallow some of the barbarian's blood." Elfie look at Gisele with worried looks. Gisele laughed.

  "Ah- don't worry about it. I'm sure you won't mutate into something grotesque." Gisele looked around the camps and smiled at the sight.

  "It was easy for us to overpower them since they haven't eaten anything decent for the last few days. It seems their king had completely abandoned them too. It is explained by how some of them were willing to die rather than fight back. Search the camps. Find out everything that was left behind." Elfie nodded as he went to complete the task.

  Gisele decided to look at the surroundings and sighed when she noticed that her armor was now drenched with blood.

  "Commander, we found corpses that don't belong to the barbarians. And they were half-eaten." Gisele didn't even flinch when she heard what had happened.

  "So these barbarians had decided to be a cannibal since they wouldn't find any food in the forest, huh. Well, I can't say that I am surprised. I've seen far worse scenarios while traveling as a mercenary." Gisele followed the knight towards a cave and witnessed the dreadful image left by the barbarians.

  "Based on the pile of clothes that were left behind, the corpses belong to the villagers. The barbarian's manage to kidnap some of the villagers and make them into their-" Gisele raises her hand.

  "It's best to give them a proper burial and then leave them here in the cave. We should at least give them the respect they deserved." The knights nodded before they did as told. Gisele excused herself and continued to search the surrounding for anything.

  "What should we do with the barbarians' corpses, Commander?" Gisele hummed when Elfie came back.

  "What more can we do? Burn them crisp. It's the least we could do since they decided to attack their empire even though their king had signed the treaty. But do leave their heads unattached. We should be polite and return them to their king. What do you think of that, Elfie?" Elfie smirks before nodding their head.

  "I shall execute your order with honor, commander." Gisele smiled as she watched Elfie give out her orders to the other knights.

  "I- what happened here?" Gisele didn't expect the countess to be here. When she turned around, the countess couldn't remove her gaze from Gisele's bloodied armor.

  "I hope that's not your blood." Gisele shakes her head no.

  "How did you manage to find us? Did you force my knight to bring you out here?" The countess nodded.

  "These barbarians- I heard they were eating the villagers to survive the cold. Is that true?" Gisele nodded her head.

  "I had asked my knights to give them proper last respect." The countess nodded.

  "Thank you. At least they receive proper burial from the imperial's knights. If only I had accepted the marriage proposal, my people wouldn't suffer like this. It is my fault. I promise I will let it go, but I simply can't. Every decision I made reflected on my people. And now they suffered because of my idiocy." Gisele smiled.

  "Truth be told, it's a good thing you decline the marriage proposal. I don't think marriage would stop this war from happening. If you said yes to the marriage, the enemies would have access to the North, which would be difficult for the empress. In another way, you not only save thousands of lives but also stop the enemy from spreading their influence. Good job, countess." The countess smiled. 

  "Commander, the fight is over; why are you still holding your sword?" Gisele looks down on her sword before smiling at the countess.

  "The fight is never over until I know it's over. We don't know just how many of the barbarians are still in hiding. That is why I'm doing a full scope of the place. I've been in too many situations where my negligence killed my trusted men. It's a habit now that I think about it." Gisele continues to look around and make sure that the enemy is dead.

  "I heard tales about you when I was at the academy. Yes- I went to the academy. The teachers called you many names, but there's only one who doesn't and keeps on protecting your image as the genius swordmaster." Gisele chuckled.

  "Is it Mr. Lowry, the alchemist?" The countess nodded.

  "Mr. Lowry believes that you are not like the rumors said you are, and I know to believe him. You're nothing like the rumor, commander." Gisele smiled.

  "Countess, believe me- the rumors are true. This time, under such circumstances, I have to obey the empress. As long as I manage to bring this war to an end, I will continue to be the empress's loyal dog." The countess seems to be surprised by Gisele's choice of words.

  Gisele smile.

  LATER THAT DAY

  The barbarians were surprised to see Goterra's royal carriage just come to a halt as it arrived in front of the barbarian king's castle. Prince Kian, who acts as the empress's representative, walks out from the carriage and goes to see the king without any notice given ahead of time.

  "Prince Kian of Goterra- as someone who acts as the empress representative, you sure act like a rogue in front of our king. You should know better than to come here without any notice given ahead of your arrival. King Gras is a busy man, and he has no time to see someone who didn't make an appointment." Kian looks up to a man far bigger and stronger than he is with dignified looks.

  "For someone who had betrayed the empire, you have a lot of words to say to me. By now, you king had probably received a few gifts from our commander. I'm sure he will want to see me now that the king knows he's in trouble." The barbarian king, Gras, barged out from his throne room and assured for the prince to enter.

  "Get out! I want to be alone with the prince!" The king instructed his guards to leave the room. The moment the door is closed, the king kneels in front of the prince and begs for mercy.

  "I am a fool who betrayed my savior. Please forgive me, my prince. I don't know what came over me. It wasn't my intention to help the enemy of the empire. I do not know how I agreed to be part of this attack. It's almost as if I was bewitched by something." Kian placed his hand on the king's head.

  "Are you saying the truth, Gras? Because if you don't, it won't be difficult for the empress to take your head as part of a decoration." The king presented his hand.

  "I am telling the truth, my prince. You may do whatever you wish to investigate this matter. I worked hard to convince the empress to sign the treaty. Why would I destroy the trust we had made for something like attacking the North? It's absurd!" Kian hummed before snapping his fingers.

  "You called?" Rona appeared from thin air and smiled at the barbarian king, who was surprised to see her in her natural form.

  "Rona, tell me if this barbarian is telling me the truth. Was he bewitched?" Rona turned her attention to the king before sighing.

  "This barbarian is telling you the truth. It's just a simple, charming spell- some hypnosis. I remembered prostitutes, courtesans, and escorts would use such a method for their clients. Do you think there's someone within the empire who works for the enemy and acts as a spy?" The prince sighed as he walked towards the king's throne.

  "There's a possibility. I can't say that we should ignore the fact that the officials who work for us also work for the enemy." Kian took a seat on the throne and sighed.

  "Summon all the witches and warlocks who are skilled enough to bewitch others. We should investigate this matter thoroughly. How long does it take Gisele to come back to the palace from the North?" Kian asked.

  "A few hours of the child use the portal. Three days if she wants to use the horse." The prince hummed.

  "Have you investigated the magician's tower that scattered around the capital? Any news from them?" Rona shook her head.

  "They have not seen or heard any abnormalities from the circle. The protection spell cast by the empress is working fine." Kian looks at the king and tells him to rise from the floor.

  "Send your best troops to the palace. It's the least you can do to make it up for your mistake." The king nodded his head.

  "Your wish is my command, my prince."

  GOTERRA ROYAL PALACE

  "Oh, mother. I didn't expect to see you here." Rose smiled at her daughter as she took a seat at the table.

  "Would you like some tea? Perhaps you could give me some pointers." Rose raised an eyebrow.

  "Did you learn how to brew tea today?" Kiera nodded. Rose nodded while the maid poured her a cup of tea. Kiera waited with anticipation as the empress gave a taste of her tea.

  "It's brewed for perfection. And this is coming from someone picky when it comes to tea. The maids can be my witness." The maid nodded their head when the princess looked at them.

  "Thank you for such kind words, mother." Rose smiled as she placed the cup down.

  "Kiera, I am here with some urgent news, and I need to be the one to tell you in person." Kiera placed her cup down and waited for her mother to say something.

  "What do you think of having a little brother or sister?" Kiera seems surprised by such a question.

  "Mother- you almost gave me a heart attack. I thought you would ask something important and related to the war. I don't mind having a little sister or brother. But I do prefer having a sister more than a brother. I heard what my friends had to endure while having male siblings. It's not good." Rose seems to be speechless for a moment.

  "You seem to be quite calm knowing this. Aren't you going to throw a tantrum?" Kiera looks at her mother with a weird expression.

  "Why would I throw a tantrum? I'm not exactly in any position to stop my parents from doing what they want to do. It's fine for me. Don't worry about it, mother. Why? Are you pregnant?" Rose shook her head no.

  "But I am a little surprised, mother. I thought you would stay away from having another child after having me. Did something happen that made you change your mind?" Rose cleared her throat while Kiera kept smiling at her mother.

  "It seems my father's charm is working like it should, huh." Rose shoved her hand onto her daughter's face.

  "Kiera, stop it." Kiera chuckled.

  "I like this side of you, mother. More fun and not too uptight." Rose smiled.

  "I'm sorry that I've been neglecting you. Know that I always care for you. Even though it's a rarity for me to show it, I do. Do you forgive this foolish mother of yours?" Kiera nodded her head.

  "Of course. I understand. Father had explained everything to me. So in a way, I do know you care, mother." Rose sighed in relief.

  "Thank you, Kiera. You've grown to be such a beautiful and loving woman." Kiera blushed.

  "Father said I look and act just like you when you were my age." Rose smiled.

  "But don't be like me, Kiera. Never be like your mother."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

227K 12.5K 66
Aiden Guevarra lives to survive; throughout her life, all she wanted to do was finish her education, find a stable job, and live her remaining moment...
6.7K 338 6
β€’UNEDITEDβ€’ In order list: 1. Touch Problem (Complete) 2. I Don't Care About My Mates (Complete) 3. Let Me Be (Complete) 4. Step-Sisters (Complete) 5...
95.9K 2.6K 34
What will you do if your first love is the new girlfriend of your dad? What will you feel if she's not only his mere girlfriend but his goddamn fian...
88.2K 973 44
Bella Hart comes to LA to help Elton and be the new TFIL assistant. There are ups and downs along the way but they know they'll always have each othe...