I am Kera, a Saiyan Warrior P...

By JessicaSmithen

After losing to Goku in the 23rd Great Fighting Tournament, Piccolo wanders the earth in search of a suitable... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118

Chapter 26

722 22 5
By JessicaSmithen

"Kakarrot, how did you survive the destruction of the planet Namek?" changed Vegeta the subject. He wasn't really interested in why the other one had survived. He only wanted to know what power now resided in Kakarrot. The one addressed stared thoughtfully at the sky.

"It was very close. After defeating Frieza, I flew to his spaceship, which was stuck in a crevice. I pushed all kinds of buttons like crazy, but nothing happened. I thought I was finished, but then I saw the small space capsule I had come here in fall past Friezar's ship deeper into the crevice. I jumped out of Frieza's ship through a destroyed window, raced after the capsule and managed to get in while it was falling. It launched and took me out of the radius of destruction just moments before the planet blew up. I saw a bright flash of light. After that, I only remember waking up on the planet Yardrat."

Vegeta only half-turned to Kakarrot as he again took the floor. "This must be one of the Ginyu Force capsules. Yardrat was their actual target. The autopilot took you there." Vegeta then gave Kakarrot a long look from top to bottom. "That's certainly the fashion of Yardrat then. Not exactly the latest trend, is it?" In his eyes, the other Saiyan looked ridiculous.

Embarrassed, Kakarrot scratched his head. "Well, it takes a bit of getting used to."

"Goku, why didn't you come back home?" the bald man now spoke up.

"It's obvious, you bowling ball. He's been training." In a croaking voice, Vegeta delivered the answer. Everyone looked questioningly at Kakarrot, who nodded affirmatively.

"I learned a really neat new technique: Instant Transmission." The confusion on the others' faces increased. "You can teleport to another person within seconds, that is, change location. But that only works if you know that person. Wait, I'll show you. I'll be gone for a moment."

Kakarrot put two fingers to his forehead and concentrated. Indeed, his outline began to blur, as if parts of him were dissolving. He was still grinning and waving, and the next moment he had completely disappeared. Everyone fixed on different points in the sky or on the earth. Less than two seconds later, it flickered back to where Kakarrot had just disappeared and he was back in full view of them.

"Hello, here I am again." Grinning, he looked around. "Well, notice anything?"

"I'm going crazy. Those are Turtle Hermit's sunglasses," Krillin exclaimed. Kakarrot did indeed have red-rimmed sunglasses on his nose, which he now demonstratively pushed up and down the bridge of his nose.

"But, how is that possible? The house of the Master Roshi is about 10,000 miles from here," Yamcha exclaimed.

"That was the Instant Transmission." Kakarrot's statement made it clear that he would not tell them how this technique worked.

"How do we proceed now?" Tien Shinhan reintroduced their real problem to those present. "Do we split up, train and then meet again in three years? Where and when?"

"Uh, yeah, well he mentioned it, but I forgot." That was typical of Kakarrot. Bulma slapped her hands in front of her face, Krillin and Yamch lost their balance for a moment.

"Three years from now, on May 12 at 10am, on an island nine miles southwest of the southern capital. I suggest we meet an hour earlier, so at nine o'clock." Gratefully, everyone looked to Piccolo. At least someone who could remember important things.

"But how do we know we'll be strong enough?" Krillin voiced his concerns.

"If you're scared, then stay home," Piccolo snapped at the little man.

"Will you come then, Piccolo?" provoked Vegeta.

"I'll be there," Piccolo barked at him.

"Hey, no need to escalate," Kera tried to soothe between them.

Bulma had been pacing thoughtfully during the conversation. "Hey guys, what if we just find this Dr. Gero and finish him off first. He can't even build the cyborgs that way." Yamcha and Krillin immediately agreed with her.

"I won't make it that easy on myself, woman." Furious that she could even think such a thing, Vegeta glared at Bulma. The latter glared back just as angrily, then turned to Kakarrot.

"Please, Goku, you understand me, don't you?"

"I'm sorry, Bulma, but I'm not going to miss this fight. Besides, this Gero guy hasn't even built the cyborgs yet. We can't punish him for something he hasn't done yet." Frustrated, Bulma howled and walked a few yards away from the group, grumbling.

Tien Shinhan and Chiaotzu assured her that they would participate in the fight. Kera, who had been standing next to Piccolo the whole time, looked up at him. He glanced at her briefly and nodded. They would both fight.

"All right then, we'll meet on this island in three years' time on, er, 12 May at nine o'clock." Kakarrot summed it all up again, to which Vegeta only responded annoyed, "Kakarrot, stop acting like a leader here. You better train so you can fight me and I can assign you your place." Before anyone could retort, he moved away.

He would train now. Maybe this woman would actually build him a training aid. If not, he would convince her to do it.

He flew to this Bulma's estate and met her father there. With threats he convinced him to build a gravity room, which the old man did. For the interim period he could train in the spaceship, which was in the Briefs' garden. Vegeta had a goal in mind. He wanted to be stronger than Kakarrot. He would find a better technique than this Instant Transmission and then assign Kakarrot his place. As an underclass warrior.

- - - - - -

Goku looked after Vegeta for a moment, then turned his gaze to Kera and Piccolo. "Kera, Piccolo, would you like to train with Gohan and me?"

Piccolo cleared his throat and gave Kera a quick look. "I don't know if that's such a good idea."

"What do you mean?" She clenched her fists instantly. She obviously felt attacked.

Piccolo raised his hands defensively. "Nothing. Just that right now it might be a little too dangerous ..." That was as far as he got.

"You think I'm a danger to others?" Reddish flashes twitched out of Kera's body in several places. Her hair rippled in a wind that only went around her. She roared angrily and flew off as well. Everyone glared after her.

Piccolo sighed. "I'm coming with you." No one dared ask why Kera had flown away. Goku tried to pick up his last thought and now looked to Krillin and Yamcha.

"What about you guys?"

"I'm going to see the Turtle Hermit. If only for the magazines," Krillin replied. Yamcha also wanted to train somewhere else.

"All right, then. Let's scoot, then. Oh, and Bulma?" She looked to Goku. "I hope you give birth to a perfectly healthy baby." With those words, he, Piccolo and Gohan rose into the air and made their way into the mountains to Goku's house.

The three landed in front of Goku's house. Chi-Chi rushed outside and ran towards them. She fell to her knees and hugged Gohan. "My little one, you gave me such a fright when you just flew away. Please don't ever do that again." Then she looked up at Goku, who smiled at her uncertainly. Her eyebrows drew together. "What took you so long?" Chi-Chi didn't give him time to answer, though, but stood up, took Gohan by the hand, and walked with him into the house.

Goku took a deep breath and looked to Piccolo for help.

"I'll wait outside," was all he said and took up position on a rock.

With drooping shoulders, Goku followed his wife and son into the house. Piccolo tried not to overhear the conversation, but when he heard his name come out of Chi-Chi's mouth, he couldn't help but listen.

"You can train with Piccolo, but Gohan has to study."

"Chi-Chi, please. Gohan needs to train too. He's important for the fight."

"How will he ever make up for his lack of learning? All you have on your mind is these fights and I have to see how I get along. You don't work and you don't bring home any money. I want Gohan to have it better later."

"Well, I am aware that I lead an unusual life, but I am a fighter. And there's one in Gohan too." Affirmatively, Gohan nodded. Chi-Chi ruffled her hair and stomped angrily towards Goku.

"Now you listen to me ..."

"I think it's really cute when you get so angry," he interrupted his wife and wanted to give her an affectionate pat on the shoulder. But he underestimated his strength and Chi-Chi flew in a high arc towards the wall. The momentum tore a hole in the wall and she was thrown outside.

Piccolo reacted in a flash and caught her before she slammed head first into the nearest rock. Chi-Chi blinked in confusion, collected herself and then realised who had caught her. "Piccolo? Thank you," she muttered. Goku, meanwhile, had run outside and was coming towards her.

"Shit, Chi-Chi, I'm so sorry!"

"Please, let Gohan train. I'll take good care of him," Piccolo said quietly to Chi-Chi. She stared at -Goku and her son, then nodded, barely perceptible. All of Goku's pleading and begging had failed to soften her. Piccolo's quietly made request had shown her how important the training of the three was.

Goku now stood before them and held out his arms. Piccolo let Chi-Chi slide over into his arms. She put her arms around his neck. Goku laid her head against hers.

"Darling, I'm so sorry."

"It's all right. There's no harm done. Gohan gets to train with both of you. During training, you will come here periodically so I know you are all right and we can eat together. When the danger is over, Gohan will devote himself to school."

Goku gratefully hugged his wife to him and kissed her. Laughing, he carried her into the house. Gohan wanted to follow his parents, but Piccolo called him over.

"I think we'll leave your parents alone for a moment."

"Why?"

"They haven't seen each other in so long. They certainly have a lot to talk about."

Gohan shrugged his shoulders. "Then I'll catch some fish for dinner." They walked to a nearby river. Gohan took off his battle suit and jumped into the water. Piccolo watched him go.

As the sun lowered towards the horizon, Chi-Chi and Goku came out the front door hand in hand. Chi-Chi's cheeks were flushed and she smiled happily. They both looked energetic and relaxed. Chi-Chi waved to Gohan and Piccolo.

Gohan grabbed the two huge fish he had tied together and ran to his parents. Halfway there, he dropped the fish and kept running. He jumped into his father's arms. He hugged Gohan tightly to him. Chi-Chi leaned against Goku's shoulder. Against the evening glow, the picture of this little family looked very idyllic. They all three looked happy and content because they had each other.

Piccolo walked slowly towards the family and had to swallow hard. He was surprised that he even thought such a thing, but he was indeed missing Kera by his side. Most of the time he tried to push the thought of her aside, but now her absence seemed to affect him more than usual.

He picked up the fish that Gohan had dropped. Chi-Chi looked at him and beckoned him closer. Hesitantly, he came closer. He felt like an intruder. He didn't want to intrude on this family picture.

Smiling, Chi-Chi approached him and took the fish from him. As an aside, he had to acknowledge that she was very strong for a human woman and could lift the two huge fish with ease. "Thank you. I'm going to make dinner now. Do stay."

Before Piccolo could say anything, she had disappeared into the house. Shortly afterwards, the clatter of pots and plates could be heard through the hole in the wall she had earlier torn in involuntarily.

"Tomorrow after breakfast, I have to fix the house first, then we'll start training, okay?" Goku had brought Piccolo out of his thoughts.

Piccolo nodded. "Then I'll see you in the morning." He turned and flew away before Goku or Gohan could say anything else.

He wanted to be alone. Aimlessly, he flew around. When the earth was plunged into darkness, he landed on a narrow high rock and looked up at the stars. Sitara ... who had come to him from the stars. So much had changed in his life since he had met her. He wasn't sure if he would have helped Goku against Raditz back then if she hadn't encouraged him. Or if he would have trained Gohan if she hadn't been by his side the whole time.

When he had died at Nappa's hands, he had felt not only his pain, but hers as well. Even in death, he had felt that she was with him. Only since she could remember where she came from again had something changed. Her aura had changed colour and it was as if there was an invisible wall between them. He had to admit to himself that it had stung him that she had been more interested in Vegeta on Namek than in him. That was jealousy, he supposed. He hadn't thought it possible that he could feel those human emotions.

For the rest of the night he remained sitting on that rocky outcrop, thinking of Kera. He hoped that tomorrow's training would distract him enough.

After sunrise, Piccolo was back at Goku's house. He had already had breakfast and started to repair the wall of the house. He greeted him cheerfully.

"I discussed with Chi-Chi that we would train for a month and then come back here for a night. Is that all right with you?"

"Sure." In the past he would surely have lost a comment about how every minute of training was important and unbreaking it again and again was not very conducive, but since he had thought so much that night, he could even understand Chi-Chi. She was happy when her family was with her. For her to let her husband and son go so willingly required a great sacrifice on her part.

To make it go faster, Piccolo helped Goku fix the house. They said goodbye to Chi-Chi and flew high into the mountains.

In the deep snow, they began their training. Goku and Piccolo attacked Gohan. Goku first wanted to get an idea of Gohan's powers. Piccolo readily jumped in to help him. For hours, Gohan fended off most of the blows and already had a swollen eye and many scrapes. During another attack, he slipped over the edge of a cliff and fell several yards into the snow.

"I think that's enough for today," Piccolo said, glancing at Gohan lying in the snow.

"No. I want to keep going. I will be as strong as you in three years."

- - - - - -

Vegeta's daily rhythm settled at 18 hours of training, which he only interrupted for quick meals. He barely saw Bulma and her parents. But he had to admit to himself that the blue-haired woman fascinated him. She could counter him, he had to admit. And the doctor willingly built him new robots or aids for training. All in all, he couldn't complain.

Then his thoughts drifted to Kera. He had simply flown away again without asking her if she wanted to train with him. When he had arrived at the Briefs' estate, he had thought of her and wanted to fly back to her, but there was no-one left on the plane where Kakarrot had landed. He could not detect her aura. She knew where he was. Then she could come to him, he thought to himself, and flew back to the Briefs' estate.

Vegeta wasn't going to give himself any breaks. He had to get stronger. While the doctor built him a gravity room, he used the spaceship he had already flown through space in. He set the gravity to 300 Gs. The light in the spaceship turned red and instantly he fought against the pull. For the first few days, it had been almost impossible for him to stand upright. But he didn't give up until he could move well with this gravity. The doctor had provided him with small flying robots that hovered just below the ceiling of the ship and shot uncontrolled bolts of energy at him. Vegeta dodged the lightning bolts, fending them off and every now and then destroying one of the little robots, which the doctor replaced with a new one.

Vegeta had already been training every day for a fortnight and that morning he didn't feel as fit as he would like. Maybe he should give his body a little rest after all? The 300-fold gravity was tugging at him more today than it had yesterday. Were the robots firing more energy bolts at him today than the days before?

Vegeta spun out of the path of one of the robots, stumbled and fell. Faster than he would have liked, another energy bolt raced towards him. He could not dodge it. The lightning would strike him. Lying on the ground, he raised his right arm with a frantic effort and blocked the energy beam with a counter-attack. The two balls of energy met in mid-air. For a split second Vegeta thought he had averted danger, but then the balls of light exploded. Vegeta put his arms protectively in front of his face as the spaceship collapsed above him.

Debris flew down at him, hitting him in all sorts of places. The increased gravity was gone all at once, but instead there was now a mountain of metal pieces above him. Only slowly could he peel himself out of the debris. Swaying, he straightened up and tried to take in his surroundings, but his vision was blurred and his head hurt.

Bulma was standing in front of him. Where had she come from so quickly? Vegeta saw that her mouth was moving and she was obviously upset, but only fragments of her words were getting through to him.

"Are you out of your mind? That explosion ... could destroy house."

He wanted to retort something and took a step towards her. His foot found no purchase, his leg would not support him, and Vegeta buckled away. Painfully he came up on his knees. Then suddenly there was Bulma, supporting him. With wide eyes she looked at him. "Don't you get that you're interrupting? I'm training."

"You're hurt. I need to tend to your wounds."

"They're just scratches. I'm a Saiyan. I'll show those cyborgs. But in order to do that, I need to increase my fighting power."

"I understand that. But if you bruise your body, you can't fight at all. So take it slower."

"You can make others happy with your advice." He tried to get up, but fell to the side again. She bent over him. The last thing he saw were her blue eyes, looking worriedly at him, then he went black.

Vegeta woke up in a soft bed. He blinked and tried to take in his surroundings. Slowly he raised one arm. His wounds were bandaged and he had a breathing mask on. He turned his head. To his right was only the wall. To his left was a table at which Bulma sat. She had put her head down and was sleeping. Had she been sitting next to him all this time?

He thought back to his dream. Kakarrot and the mysterious stranger had stepped in front of him and transformed into Super Saiyans. He tried to transform as well, but he couldn't. Frustrated, he yelled out. His father suddenly stood before him and told him that he was the chosen one. That one day he would lead the Saiyan people. The dream had left him feeling frustrated and terrified. Vegeta swallowed hard and turned his head back to Bulma.

She looked ... cute, resting her head on the table like that. Why had she been sitting next to his bed? Surely she couldn't care how he was doing.

He couldn't let himself be distracted now. He had to keep training. He couldn't forget that in less than three years, the cyborgs would emerge who wanted to wipe out all of humanity. He, Vegeta, the prince of the Saiyans would not let that happen.

- - - - - -

After a month, they were back at Chi-Chi and Goku's house in time for dinner. Chi-Chi had set up a fireplace outside and hung a pot over it, which she was stirring when they landed next to her. She fell around Gohan's neck, then Goku's, and threw him a genuine smile as well. Piccolo was transported back to the time when Kera or Sitara had cooked in the forest and they had sat together by the fire. He wanted to leave again, but this time Goku asked him to stay.

Somewhat reluctantly, Piccolo sat down by the fire. He even ate a few spoonfuls of the stew Chi-Chi had cooked, listening to Gohan's words as he told his mother about their training.

When darkness fell, Gohan sat down on Chi-Chi's lap. She stroked him while she talked to Goku and even asked Piccolo a question or two, which he answered curtly and mechanically.

"Where is Sitara, anyway?" asked Chi-Chi.

"Kera," Piccolo corrected her automatically. Questioningly, Chi-Chi looked at him. Piccolo sighed. "When Sitara was flying to Namek with Goku, they hit turbulence. She fell and hit her head. Then on Namek she woke up again. She could no longer remember life as Sitara, but she could remember her origins and who she actually is, namely Kera, a Saiyan. During the time we were with Bulma waiting for the Namekians to be taken to a new planet, she didn't talk much to me and just disappeared on the day we were going to revive Goku. After the Namekians left, I went back to the mountains. Months later, she reappeared and showed me that she could no longer focus her energy. We had just started to tackle this problem when this boy from the future appeared."

"And why isn't she here now? She could be training with you guys, couldn't she?"

Piccolo shrugged. "Goku had asked us if we wanted to train with him. I didn't think it was a good idea at the time."

"And then?"

"Then she flew off in a huff."

"I see." Chi-Chi nodded knowingly. Now it was Piccolo's turn to look at her questioningly. "You thought she was a danger to others."

"Yes. Not knowingly, of course, but because she is finding it difficult to focus her powers right now. She has no confidence in herself."

"Is that what you told her?"

"No. I didn't get around to it."

"I see." This time it was pronounced with a triumphant undertone.

Piccolo felt himself getting angry. What was he supposed to do with it now? "What do you mean?"

"Sitara ... Kera thinks you don't trust her and was disappointed and hurt."

Goku, who had been silently following the conversation, groaned. "Women ... You can't understand them." Chi-Chi gave him a peck on the shoulder, but smiled as she did so.

Goku stood up, yawned and stretched. "Time for bed."

"Will you carry him into the house, please?" Chi-Chi pointed at Gohan, who had fallen asleep on her lap. Carefully, Goku lifted his son and disappeared into the house. Piccolo had also gotten up and held out his hand to Chi-Chi to help her up. Gratefully, she accepted the offer.

"We have another bed available," Chi-Chi said, pointing to the house.

"Thank you. Namekians do not need sleep like humans."

"Our door is always open. Even for Kera."

Piccolo nodded gratefully.

"You miss her, don't you?"

Piccolo was shocked that she could read his mind like that. Since he didn't respond, Chi-Chi drew her own conclusions.

"You must go and find her. She must be training with you." Then she too went into the house, leaving Piccolo standing beside the nearly extinguished fire.

Left alone like this, Piccolo began to wonder. Chi-Chi was right, though he would not admit it in front of her. He now thought he understood what had been going on inside Kera. He had to tell her that she had to have faith in herself again.

He waited impatiently for the next morning. When he saw the first rays of sunlight creeping across the plain in front of the house, he flew off without waiting for Goku and his son.

- - - - - -

Yawning and stretching, Goku stepped outside the front door about an hour later. Searchingly, he looked around. He called for Piccolo. Bewildered, he scratched his chin. He wondered if Piccolo had already flown off to continue training. Gohan stepped up beside his father.

"Say, do you know where Piccolo is?" Gohan shook his head and now looked around searchingly as well.

"I think I know where he is," Chi-Chi called from the kitchen through the open front door.

"Where is he?" Goku turned to his wife.

"I think that's obvious." When he just looked at her questioningly, Chi-Chi continued, "He's looking for Kera."

"Now? But we have to train."

Chi-Chi rolled her eyes and turned, shaking her head. Goku ran back inside and stood behind her, "I don't understand."

She turned back to him, crossing her arms in front of her chest and tapping her foot impatiently. "Well, of course you don't understand this again. Kera is very important to Piccolo. Until he knows she's okay and they've talked it out, he can't train."

"What, are you telling me that Piccolo has a crush on Kera?" Unbelieving, Goku looked at his wife. She just nodded. "Well, then ... come on, Gohan. We'll get started on the training." With that, they disappeared towards the mountains.

- - - - - -

Dear Reader,

Thank you for following my story for 26 chapters. Writing is great fun and a retreat for me. All the more I am happy about your comments and your support. Thank you very much!

A little anecdote: When I published chapter 25 last week, I received a review a few hours later with the words: "Saved my Friday. Thank you 3" This sentence gave me so much strength and accompanied me over the whole weekend. Thank you so much.

Stay healthy!

Yours, Jessica

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

81 0 1
The Z-Fighters have caught on to Frieza's arrival to Earth, and with him, his very own father, King Cold. They look to stop them, but what happens wh...
2.5K 176 32
THINGS TOOK A STRANGE TURN IN THE DRAGON BALL MULTIVERSE AFTER ANDROID SEVENTEEN'S WISH, WILL GOKU AND VEGETA BE ABLE TO OVERCOME EVERY ENCOUNTER OR...
47.7K 741 111
Meet Kuzuku, a young Saiyan who traveled to Earth at a young age. Read this story to discover his adventure with Goku and his friends as he battles v...
581K 9.4K 112
In Age 759, Son Goku and Chi-Chi had their second child, a boy they named Son Y/N. Unlike his brother, Y/N trains with Goku, growing stronger and str...