The Unpredictable Fire Advent...

By MizzGinger

He was supposed to be the Fire Nation's prince. You were supposed to be the Fire Nation's top student. Having... More

『at first sight
『another life
『a canyon to conquer [1]
『a canyon to conquer [2]
『a canyon to conquer [3]
『a legacy
『a bump in the road
『a merry trip down the river and into sea
『a tumultuous greeting
『a boy following traditions
『alone in thought
『a moment of solace
『a devastated sacred ground [1]
『a devastated sacred ground [2]
『another bump in the road
『at long last
『and up the mountain
『around the temple
『and down the mountain
『an apparent divide
『an ode to knowledge
『a long way home
『a diplomat, a prince, a prince, and a queen
『a tourist hot spot
『an awkward date [1]
『an awkward date [2]
『an awkward date [2.5]
『an awkward date [3]
『a miscalculation of epic proportions
『agonizing realizations
『a truth unspoken
『a tale of Tonraq
『a tale of Haku
『a tale of Iroh
『a tale of you
『a-plus planning
『a timely rescue [1]
『a timely rescue [2]
『a timely rescue [3]
『a timely rescue [4]
『a tea shop
『affronted by his omission
『a wise uncle
『a deadly pass
『a deadlier ally
『a deadlier ally [2]
『a cave filled with love
『an outspoken boy
『a tough wall to crack
『a date in Omashu!
『a lost soul
『a behavioral problem
『a bargain
『a daisy in the snow
『a plan for the future [1]
『a plan for the future [2]
『appealing to the masses WITH PAMPHLETS!
『an eternal necklace
『agreeable relations
『against their fathers' wishes [1]
『against their fathers' wishes [2]
『animosity between brothers
『a grand festival [1]
『a grand festival [2]
『a lethal ideal
『a burning tower
『 a looming threat
『a determined group
『 a faulty escape plan
『a burden greater than man himself
『a burden greater than this idiot
『a mix up in sleeping arrangements
『ah she's a fighter
『a very accurate play?
『a prince's return
『a group forever
『despite our best efforts
『very still is the world
『even through all the hardships
『new love, old love
『they lurk in the shadows
『united we stand
『ushered deeper into the abyss
『until we meet again
『unknown and alone
『unacquired justice
『utterly lost
『remember us, remember our promise
『experience this love
『ever after
『salve for the wounds
『friends or foes
『oven-baked plan
『ren, the first
『evaluate and execute
『venture into the wind
『enter and discover

『rendered to adapt

1.1K 56 38
By MizzGinger

A/N: I was going to post this a week ago, but the ONE time I was able to sit down and edit the chapter, Watty was down for maintenance. It was such bad timing. Anyways, time to do more exploring with the gang and we finally catch up with the reader c:

Thank you so much for the enthusiasm with the story. As always, the last chapters are the hardest to write for me as I try to tie everything together. Your comments and likes help tremendously and I cannot thank you enough. 

Enjoy!

[x]

Prez... This is a library, not a forest," Iroh II comments.

The group stands in disbelief at they stare at the grandeur of the library. Iroh I had ushered them not long ago onto the unagi to find you, yet he did not state what destination awaited them. A mixture of fear and curiosity harkens the group to remain still as they ponder on their next move.

Yet Iroh II glares at the unagi. "You were supposed to take us to [Name]."

Jinora tries to suffocate the timid feeling in her chest as she speaks up, "Well... Maybe he did take us to where he last saw her."

Iroh pauses then narrows his eyes more at the unagi, who continues to nuzzle him. Long has he used Prez as his stout companion during his time in the army. It was an obscure advantage none had. Through his adulthood, they formed a tight bond that the unagi's death pained Iroh greatly. Thankfully, his passing was due to old age.

Yet as much as he feels a undiluted joy at the sight of Prez, he still ponders on whether he was taken to the right place.

"You better be correct about this," Iroh warns as he pets the unagi gently.

"I just worry," Jinora mumbles, "if we will be chased out once we get in. Last time I was here, Wan Shi Tong captured and handed me over to Unalaq."

Tenzin strokes his beard. "Jinora is right. The deity that protects this library despises humans so much that I cannot imagine him allowing [Name] inside."

The thought is certainly concerning and causes the group to ponder. Tonraq crosses his arms as he states his logic. "But Prez brought us here, and I recall Haku stating that [Name] visited him in a dream and mentioned a library. It has to be this one."

Haku nods his head, chuckling at the thought of you. "And if we are to find her, it would always be in a library."

It appears as if the group has decided and march forth, ready to face any deterrent. As each person enters, the sounds of wings flapping grow stronger in volume. They know who travels in hopes of greeting them, they know the fight that may ensue.

When Wan Shi Tong appears and stations himself at the center, everyone's bodies becomes rigid with alert. Korra steps forward, her brazen and confident attitude as fierce as ever. "Hello, we are looking for someone that may be reading here. I'm Avatar Korra and these are my companions."

The owl glosses over the Avatar and narrows his vision on Jinora. "I see you have returned, girl."

As much as Jinora holds a fragment of fear in her heart, she cannot stand the sight of the owl's hubris. "You helped Unalaq become a giant force of evil!" Jinora shouts while pointing at him. "You entrapped me and helped that evil man!"

Everyone gawks at the girl's anger, but what surprises all the most is how Wan Shi Tong accepts the scorn. "And now I've learned not to trust any humans," he responds. "Never again. No human can enter, and I will never help the Avatar either."

"But we were told that someone we know is here," Iroh interjects. "They go by [Name] and we are sure she frequents this place a lot."

The owl steps forward to hover over the group. "I said: No. Humans. Allowed. Besides," he returns to his normal position, "no human of that name visits my library. No other human has been allowed here ever since Unalaq."

Tenzin strokes his beard in thought. "Then that would mean she must have came here in spirit?"

Again, the owl shakes his head and combats the idea of you being here. "No spirits by that name have entered my library either."

Haku's eyes widen as a revelation forms in his head. "Then surely you have heard of Hammy?"

The owl pauses at this. Silence follows until he realizes that it might be best to go along with the questioning if it means the group will leave him alone. "There is a spirit who wanders these halls and is associated with the Lion Turtles. They have been coming here every day for the past four years."

Korra's eyes widen, "Ever since Unalaq died."

Wa Shin Tong begins to understand their dilemma, his suspicions becoming aroused with each new revelation. "It appears so..."

Haku nods his head. "Can you direct us to this person? They must be here somewhere."

"She left not too long ago, stating that they must go and eat..." The owl lowers his head menacingly. "This spirit has brought me great reprieve for the last four years. I do not want any harm to come to her."

His declaration stuns the group, while Jinora gasps with amazement, "How are you attached to a human now?"

Unamused by her exclamation, Wan Shi Tong flails his wings about in anger. "Don't be absurd! She isn't human!"

"She is a human!" Iroh II growls out.

"Insolence! There should be no reason that a great Lion Turtle would hold a human captive in their sanctuary! Besides her appearance is strikingly different than that of a human."

Iroh loses his temper and shakes his head, "She looks like a normal human! How can you mistaken her as anything else?!"

"My eyesight has not frayed."

Tenzin interjects quickly, "Wait, you said that a Lion Turtle is harboring this spirit. Are you saying Hammy is a Lion Turtle?"

It appears that the incessant questions have weathered the last of the owl's patience, and he speaks his peace. "I am saying that it shouldn't be the case. Now leave this place and never return!"

[__]

Having lost all of the owl's interest to comply, the group departs with sullen expressions and now discuss outside the library.

Tenzin leads the discussion, listing off the new information the group has learned. "So what we have discerned is that [Name] has been wandering around as a spirit that looks nothing like a human. Hammy is a Lion Turtle incarnate, and Prez will REALLY take us to her now. Is that the gist of things?"

Korra taps her knuckle against her chin a few times. "I suppose, but how exactly can she be a spirit and a human?"

"Maybe," Jinora adds quietly and with doubt in her tone, "her body couldn't last long enough in the Spirit World and has now become a spirit."

Dread spreads like an infectious disease yet Iroh refuses to contaminate himself with such thoughts. "No, there's no way that can happen. She would have told us to not look for her if her human form is already dead."

Tonraq also refuses the sentiment. "Yes, there has to be another explanation. We don't know much about living in the Spirit World, so there are endless possibilities as to what it could be."

Korra stares at the two, amazed by their resilience despite the harrowing clues they had found. "Well... I guess there could be other explanations. We also have no clue on how spirit-bending works except that it's a healing ability to make spirits calmer, but maybe there's more to it?"

Jinora gasps, "That's right! I hadn't thought about that, but it could be part of spirit-bending!"

The dots begin to connect in Korra's head. "Which is the reason why she gets to enjoy her freedom in the Spirit World. It would be very interesting to see that sort of bending in our world."

"But that would mean," Tenzin hums, "that we need to find her first and bring her back."

Iroh smirks with pride, "As always, my girlfriend is the most amazing person out there."

Haku arches an eyebrow, "Weren't you guys not together at that time?"

"S-Semantics!" Iroh huffs.

[x]

Another day spent consuming knowledge at the Wan Shi Tong library.

You heave a sigh and pat your stomach, wondering what monstrosity Iroh I will cook up today. At the sight of his vacant porch, you let out another sigh as now you must procure your own food for the day. "Serves me right for thinking bad thoughts of his cooking."

If anyone ever told you that you would be family with Iroh I in the spirit world, you'd scoff with disbelief. Not in a million years did you think such an thing could happen. Yet at your lowest point, you found him. It's as if your whole body screamed for help, and he provided it within seconds.

It took a lot of time in the Spirit World to realize that everyone that inhabits it has a part to play. Iroh's is to be a safety net for those feeling lost. Yours is to... explore all its bountiful knowledge!

And learn spirit bending!

And hide from the Red Lotus.

And bother your friends in their dreams!

And...

You continue to stare at the empty table, finding similarities in your heart. You too wish to connect once more with humans and to be of the human realm; to live as a human and to love as a human. Yet you must masquerade yourself as a spirit to blend into this world. It is lonely to not form friendships based on truth and hide yourself from a genuine relationship.

The hardcover of the book against your fingertips serves as a reminder of this. Long have you wanted to visit the Wan Shi Tong library, but it was all just a dream due to Unalaq's frequent visits to there. The minute you heard about his presence being exterminated and the portals being opened, you thought you would be allowed to go home.

You tried, truly. But at the sight of the Red Lotus members still prancing around had you retreating back into your recluse. You received a special power from Hammy, allowing you to manipulate your spiritual energy at will. In the Spirit World, the laws of the human realm do not apply and much of its fabrications lies heavily in its energy. Hence your ability to manipulate your body into a Spirit Form.

You had to start with an animal as most seem akin to the animals in the human world. You choose a deer-fox, sprightly four legged animals with antlers and a flexible body. Though you wanted to retain a human element it, you stand on two legs but have kept the antlers. You paint your face in an almost unrecognizable way and wear a long straw hat with a veil on it. Your essence is striking to that of a Spirit World inhabitant, but with your appearance came questions.

Only mixtures such as yours are found in the Human Realm. Why do you suddenly inhabit this world? Yet when you had no answer, you were saved by the indisputable reign of the Lion Turtles. Hammy's voice echoed through all their minds; that you are the Guardian of their resting place and will be respected as so. That was enough to silence their curiosity.

Now you are recognized as the guardian for the Lost Forest of the Ancients.

You park yourself on the porch's bench and heave out a sigh. "And now Wan Shi Tong just confessed to me."

It was an awkward encounter to say the least. You've known the owl for a few years, and he has been a great comfort to you by sharing his library. You sit by him and talk all day, exploring each other's knowledge and fleshing out the most philosophical of thoughts. At times you rest in his abode to continue learning the next day.

You didn't think Spirits were capable of such feelings, hence your carefree attitude in forming this friendship. How devastated he would be learn that you are a human! You couldn't fathom the thought.

Hunger continues to strike at you, time passing slowly as you try to think of what to eat. Finally, you settle on stealing from Iroh and begin to head inside for anything that may be lying around. As you open the door, you spot a tired Iroh along with Zaheer seated in the dining room. Fear paralyzes you while Zaheer stares at you oddly.

"Who is she?"

You don't utter a word as your voice will be recognized in an instant. Your frantic stare hastily lands on Iroh, who seems the least bit bothered. "Ah, you're here. I think some people are looking for you."

His comment frightens you even more and you rush out in a hurry. You hear Zaheer fast on your trail and you pant with each harsh step against the floor. "SUOH!" you scream the name of your companion at the top of your lungs.

The sound of an awakening dragon stills Zaheer into a silence. He gazes up into the air to see a blue colored dragon rushing to provide you succor, and it does so by whisking you off onto its back and disappearing.

"Oh, I should have led with something else." Iroh chuckles.

"Is that... who I think it is?"

"Yes, and I just sent the others to the library. How unfortunate... Maybe I should have informed them of her spirit form as well." 

Zaheer stares at your receding back, his mind still in shock from the sequence of events. "Yes, that definitely should have been mentioned."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

822K 32.5K 37
( sequel to The Ruka Wild > book 1 ) Join Ruka on her journey alongside Prince Zuko and former General Iroh for her new destiny has begun. For the h...
210K 5.6K 40
Lady (Y/N) was exiled along with her best friend, prince Zuko. She has conflicted feelings about hunting the Avatar, since she wants the war to end...
165K 3.1K 40
your name is Nami you are a unknown bender that was born in the fire nation by a water bending mother in prison, they took you away as a child, The f...
18.6K 830 28
Fire and Water. Two opposite elements. They can never get along. The Fire and Water Nations have been enemies for a century. So when a teenage Water...