Heaven Hath No Rage - Book Two

By nicwritesbooks

After a confrontation with the Center, the pirate island of Corinspe is left reeling. Captain Theo ushers in... More

Lucid
A New Direction
You're Poison, I'm Slipping Under
A Not So Lonely Game
Alleyway Endings
Problem Solver
The Grotto
Back at Sea
Coordinated Attack
Siren's Alley
The Alchemist
A Deal With The Devil
Em and Phen (One and Two)
Eng, Part, and Erdo (Three, Four, and Five)
Pii (Six)
Eln (Seven)
Put, Eza, Pharos (Eight, Nine, Ten)
Home Sick
Carriages and Conversations
Testimony
Secret gained, secret spilled
A Good Friend
Allies and Lies
Reward then Realization
Successful Attempt
Failed Attempt
Shots Fired
Forced Hand
En Route
Unearthed Secrets
Promised
A Path Forward Emerges
The Path Forward Taken
Don't Shoot
Children Scorned
Potential
Difficult Conversations
Delayed Departure
Political Punches
Sister's Request
Gwenevieve's Night Out
Rejected
Deviating
Negotiations
A New Home
Back Again
Pitching
Taking the Risk

Tender My Resignation

955 73 26
By nicwritesbooks

On the last morning they were at the Grotto, they shared some ravci as they watched the sunrise, enjoying their last relaxing morning for a while. The golden and pink hues that filled the sky would be in her mind forever, she would make sure to not forget it. Theo was held in on either side by her friends until it was time to get moving. They packed all of the spices, blankets, and special trinkets they had accumulated over their lifetime there. Before leaving, Theo dipped her blade in poison they had stashed at the Grotto; just in case Uncilo tried anything. Each of them took time to say goodbye in their own ways and once everything was ready, they gathered silently by their steeds. To avoid any unneeded emotions, Theo stepped up.

"Race you there," Theo said as she hopped on her horse and snapped the reigns, trotting forward. She thought she heard a cautionary shout from Xyra, telling her to take it easy and not rush but her words were ignored as Theo took to the wind.

Theo had acted brave, mostly because she could see how nervous Cooker was, but Theo was scared. Uncilo had always been good to them in his own way but she knew how he could get if someone wronged him. She had engaged in a mission or two when she was a child that was not for profit, but purely for revenge. Obviously, she had hoped that his relationship with them would not invite a vengeful attitude or actions, but she could never be certain. Leaving Corinspe and forming their own haven had been something that was attempted by others in the past. It wasn't looked upon favorably and if the head of the council condoned it, a chase could ensue. A harsh interpretation of the age-old pirate law that no pirate should betray Corinspe could mark them as traitors for attempting to leave and a bounty would be on their heads. That interpretation, however, hadn't been used since prior to Captain Vandoule.

Uncilo falling back on an old, outdated version of the pirate code just to stop them from leaving was unlikely. At least, she hoped so. He was a menace; he was smart and knew how to play people but he wasn't evil. He wouldn't stop them, at least not physically. She was sure there were dozens of emotional tricks he would pull. Which is why Cooker was probably worried. Theo was worried for her too. Xyra was used to him being hard on her. Xyra was equipped to navigate the emotional puzzle that Uncilo threw at her. Theo was always the most stubborn and her butting heads with Uncilo was commonplace growing up. So being subject to his guilt trips or mind tricks was just as common.

Cooker, however, kept all rebellion for areas that didn't break Uncilo's rules. She was a kiss ass, and it wasn't really her fault. Theo never minded, it was just Cooker's need to please authority figures that was trained into her. Not having left home until she was nine, she was a bit more amenable to instruction than the others. When it really mattered though, Cooker came to their aid when they were in trouble. But Cooker was always the favorite, or at least did everything right and was the favorite on the surface. In reality, Uncilo favored Theo and used Cooker's loyalty and devotion as a benchmark to compare Theo to. It was a way to annoy Theo and make Cooker feel good.

Cooker wasn't naive though, she knew that. They all knew it and that was why she was so worried. She was the easy target, the brunt of whatever he would pull would be directed at Cooker. Uncilo had hurt her too much in the past cycles, however, for any of it to work. Cooker didn't even need to say the words, Theo knew it for a fact. Uncilo would have no purchase. No weak links amongst them. When they were set on a goal and approached it together, nothing could come between that. It was something that he had taught them.

Theo wasn't showing it, trying to keep a brave face on for Cooker but she was nervous. Even though Theo was used to facing off against him in verbal sparring, she still felt his words penetrate her armor and keep her up at night. She was already facing so much guilt about Riva and Ava that anything from Uncilo would crumble her shaky foundation. The ride from the Grotto with its familiarity and calming scenery along the beach helped steel her mind.

Uncilo had to know what was happening. Perhaps he didn't assume she was leaving forever. But he had to at least know she was preparing to go off on some rebellion against him for a length or two. It wasn't temporary though; they would never return.

It was the fastest trip she had ever taken from the Grotto back into town. Or, at least it felt like it. Soon enough, they were approaching the entrance to the building in the mountain. The heart of politics and of Corinspe and a place she would never enter again. As they walked, one of the two guards at the door asked them to stop with a palm facing them.

"State your business," The guard said.

"You're serious?" Theo laughed, then scoffed when the guard nodded, "Give me a break."

Theo pushed past the spear that the other guard was holding in front of the large double doors. She pulled one open and slipped inside, the other two right behind her. With her hands cupped around her mouth, she took a deep breath.

"Helloooo," her voice projected as she bellowed the greeting, "we are here to see you, Captain."

"Theo, do not be obnoxious," Xyra said with a disappointed shake of her head.

Instead of the hallway going quiet as they made their way through the maze-like building, it grew louder as Cooker's voice chimed in.

"We are here to answer your requests! Requests! Requests!" Cooker gave herself an echo.

"Where are you! You! You!" Theo laughed along.

Theo's wrist was grabbed, and her walking came to an abrupt stop. Each of Xyra's hands held one of their wrists and her expression held frustration. She took a moment to sigh, looking almost in disbelief that she had to give them a talking to.

"Stop what you are doing. He still deserves our respect. He is in a position of authority, has done a lot for the island, and a lot for us. We are leaving here and not coming back. Even if he has been an asshole, this is the last time you will have to deal with it. Get it the fuck together. Do not be children."

"Whatever," Theo shrugged off her comment, but she was right. Theo just wanted to lighten the nerves she felt but she did need to show at least a bit of respect, "he's probably in his office. Come on."

Theo led the way and was the first one to enter the office. At the sight of the three of them at the door, he stood up and took his glasses off. He shook his head while pinching the bridge of his nose, then he rubbed his eyes and finally looked at them, "You have denied my every request for a meeting."

"You could have visited," Theo said and walked to the drink cart he had a few feet from his desk and picked up a glass to make a drink, Uncilo's favorite, "given I was too weak to make the trek up here because I had just been tortured by The Center since the imbecile you let run free around this island let the enemy into our waters."

Theo turned around after slamming the glass in her hand and Cooker took over, sending her to sit down. While Theo sat down and made herself comfortable, arms crossed over her chest tightly in defense, Cooker made a drink. Presumably, Uncilo's drink. Any stressful meeting about business was handled with a rum concoction to relax him. A usually rigid man had a penchant for a late-night drink– or in that case, an early morning. It was efficient the way Cooker made and presented the perfect mixture.

"Why didn't you visit?" Cooker pressed as she set the glass down before taking her seat.

"I did not think I was welcome," Uncilo sat back down with some effort and a grimace on his face, then he put his glasses back on, "I knew you would come to me when ready."

"What was so urgent that you sent a request every sun?" Theo asked.

"Just needed to debrief with you all after everything that happened," Uncilo said, "and I wanted to see how you were all doing."

A few beats passed in silence before Cooker shifted in her chair and shook her head, "Did you know? Theo says you knew..."

Uncilo knew what Cooker was talking about, it didn't take a scholar to connect the pieces, but Theo knew he would have eaten his own hand before giving into questioning so easily, "You know better than to put forward vague accusations. I am afraid you are going to have to be more specific, Cooker."

"You had information that exposed Fletching as the rat, but you didn't say anything. You let him run free around here. You let him invite the Center into our waters. You let us be arrested and forced us to fend for ourselves because you wouldn't aid us in our time of need," Cooker accused.

Uncilo pursed his lips, about to answer, but instead, he sighed, "All of this animosity and both you and your captain have failed to see that it was for you both."

"Your attempts at making me feel special when it was never about me won't work anymore, I can see through it. This was for her. So she could prove herself and become a frontrunner for your spot," Cooker scoffed, "it was always going to be her, wasn't it? You never considered me as a suitable replacement but strung me along for lengths making me believe I was your next in line."

"I never made you any promises, Cooker. Any expectations you had were created on your own."

Theo could feel the fury building inside of Cooker. She reached over and placed a hand over Cooker's forearm for comfort, but Cooker yanked it away and slammed her hand on the table.

"Just because you carefully curate what you say, your implications are just as important as the words you say," Cooker called him out, "lengths of telling me that if I kept up the good work, the island would see that and take it into account when voting. Meeting after meeting of singing my praises and hinting at the possibility to take your spot. All of that is a giant, obvious arrow pointing at the Head of the Council but that was never the plan, was it? It was always Theo."

"Cooker, you do not have the qualifications for it," Uncilo put simply.

"The only qualification I didn't have was that I never captained a ship. Which could have been fixed in less than an hour!" Cooker exclaimed, "Don't make me out to be crazy for thinking I had a shot! You never told me otherwise."

Uncilo was visibly getting upset. When he was pushed too hard, when the criticism for something he didn't agree was wrong was put on him, he tended to grow unrestrained, "You are acting as if I was ready to toss you to the wind. The Head is not the only important position on the Council. You have served Theo well as her advisor for lengths, this would be no different. You are talented in those areas. That is where you excel. You would be running the council, can you not see that?!"

"Why was I not good enough in your eyes to be the Head? Why am I only ever seen by you as being the support and never the lead on something?" Cooker's anger was fading into sadness, as it usually did. Theo could tell she was hurt.

Uncilo didn't answer but Theo also wanted to know. Why was the pressure always on her when Cooker and Xyra were just as capable as her? Why did she have to be the one in the front?

"Why me? Why not Cooker?" Theo hopped onto the questioning.

"Cooker, you have always been more sensitive. Xyrabellis and Theo, you both have shown a greater ability to perform under pressure. Out of both of you, only Theo displayed a positive disposition towards leadership," Uncilo provided his assessment, his tone calculated and cold.

"I failed one mission growing up. One fucking mission of the hundreds you sent me on," Cooker debated, "how is that not performing under pressure?"

"And when you returned from those missions, you turned to drugs and sex at a young age. It has not improved since then," Uncilo admitted but there was a bit of venom in his voice, "you are mentally weaker than your sisters. You turn to things that destroy your body to cope with your actions. At the level of a captain or the Head of the Council, you would break. That is why you were never considered to be my replacement."

The shock that registered across Cooker's face was horrendous to watch. Theo could see how taken aback her friend was. She could see that she was fighting back tears and her breath was caught in her throat. Theo wasn't going to stay there and let him keep hurting Cooker. He needed a taste of his own cruelty.

"We are leaving Corinspe," Theo confessed, breaking the intense staredown between Uncilo and Cooker.

"The fleet you have been preparing in haste has alerted me to that," Uncilo nodded and steepled his fingers, "have you considered maybe it is too early for any of you to be traveling? Especially with such a large fleet and, from what I have heard, such a small crew."

"I am not here to discuss business with you," Theo said back, "simply to inform you. Out of courtesy."

"The next meeting is in ten cycles," Uncilo moved on, "will you be back by then?"

Uncilo ignored what she had said.

"We won't be attending," Theo repeated, "did you not just hear me? We are leaving."

"That is alright. The meeting agenda will be short. Your presence is not currently required," Uncilo nodded.

Theo frowned and looked at Cooker who was still processing what Uncilo had said and then at Xyra. Xyra cleared her throat, getting a better read on what was going on than Theo.

"Captain Uncilo, we are leaving the island for good," Xyra said as she straightened up, "we are striking our names from Corinspian records and renouncing our titles as pirates of Corinspe."

Uncilo was stunned into silence but nothing on his expression gave away that he was shocked. He was stoic, stone-faced.

"Did you not hear her?" Theo sat forward in her chair, "we are leaving Corinspe-"

Uncilo held his hand up and Theo went quiet. He reached up and took his glasses off, tossing them on the desk again, before rubbing his face. After a minute of silence, he looked up and put his glasses back on, gracefully.

"What has gotten into you girls?" he asked.

"That's your reaction?" Theo laughed, "we are leaving as soon as the sun sets and you want to waste our last moments not acknowledging that we are going?"

"Help me comprehend what would possess you to make this decision," Uncilo looked at Theo with serious eyes and an unwavering glare, "you have everything here. A safe haven. A community. You are not thinking. You are all acting as if I didn't raise you to know better."

"Are you serious?" Theo scoffed again, "you have no idea what could have driven us to this? No sense of responsibility on your end?"

"For setting you up for success?"

"Bullshit! You gambled with our lives! It's because of chance, not your plans, that we ended up alright."

"It was not chance. It was all the work and skills you possessed. That I knew you would use to get out of things with Fletching," Uncilo shook his head.

"I had to challenge Fletching to a fight to get out of it! I could have died. There was no predicting what could have happened."

"It was impatience. A brainless move on your end. You could have waited an hour, plead your case, and gotten out of it without having to kill a major source of information. The fight was a sore lack of judgment on your end," Uncilo rebutted.

"It was a sore lack of judgment on your end that you didn't expect her to do that," Cooker snorted.

"You are right," Uncilo stared at Cooker, "it was a lack of judgment to assume either of you were mature or capable enough to take over my position or handle that kind of responsibility. I was pushing for something neither of you was ready for. Neither of you have been displaying any sort of finesse or intelligence with your decisions lately."

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" Theo asked.

"It means that the decisions you girls have made as of late have been embarrassing. Cooker's gross use of her time, money, and energy trying to score the next bag of loli whenever she is given any task to complete during meetings," Uncilo adjusted his glasses on his face and looked at Theo, "your outbursts at the meetings. Allowing yourself to get involved with that Vaith girl. Allowing yourself to get captured."

"Captain Uncilo, you are out of line," Xyra raised her voice, "if we want to pin blame on someone for what happened to Theo, I think you would find it falling on you."

"And not you? Who has had one job her whole life and you failed at it?"

"I was too busy protecting your island to protect her," Xyra snapped back, "once again, the blame falls on you, Captain."

"This must be a dream for you, Xyrabellis," Uncilo shook his head with a small laugh, "you've always been dying to get them away from me."

"This isn't her fault. It's yours. You were too busy trying to secure your legacy that you pushed us away," Theo interjected.

"My legacy is you three! I was busy trying to secure your future, not my legacy. I was trying to ensure your futures were safe even when I am gone," Uncilo exclaimed.

"Yet you couldn't even manage to get our inputs for what should happen to our own lives," Theo was feeling the emotions creep up further, she wasn't hardened. She was melting as one of the closets people she had to a father spat angry words at her in their last conversation, "if it was about us, why not trust us enough to fucking ask what we thought?"

Uncilo softened his demeanor at seeing Theo break her tough exterior. His shoulders loosened a bit, "Theo, I raised you girls to be independent. Only to rely on each other. I knew if you thought I was trying to make things easier for you in the future, you would rebel against that."

"So, you thought it was better to do it against my will? As if that would make it any better," Theo felt a tear slip away and she wiped it quickly, "you undermine my intelligence by thinking I wouldn't have figured it out."

"I thought when you figured it out, you would be appreciative that you were guaranteed a spot on the Council with Cooker by your side," Uncilo admitted.

"Then you don't really know me."

"I do, Theo. I gave you up all those lengths ago to Barge but I never really gave you up. You three are my girls," Uncilo tried a softer approach, "I am responsible for what happens to you. I took on that burden when I allowed you on my ship. You are the closest things I have to children, you need to understand that I am only doing things in your best interest."

"Doesn't give you the right to manipulate us," Cooker finally spoke up, her distance from the conversation having snapped away as she looked between the desk and Uncilo, "Why haven't you had a sip of the drink?"

The conversation was derailed, and they all looked at her in confusion.

"I am not in the mood to drink."

"I have never seen you angry at us without a drink in your hand," Cooker said, and her eyes were fixed on the glass, "I know how to make your drinks perfectly. You are always in the mood for rum. The drink has always been downed in less than a minute, especially when you are bitching at us."

"Cooker, I haven't been feeling well," Uncilo shook his head and pushed the glass further, "this is an unnecessary distraction from our conversation."

"You won't take a sip because you think I fucking poisoned it," Cooker said.

"I paid good money to train these two, but I trained you myself. I would be foolish to be careless around you, Carrie," Uncilo looked her in the eye.

At the name, Theo could see the veins pop in Cooker's temple. Cooker took the drink off the desk, downed it, and then threw the glass at his head before walking out. He barely ducked away in time for it to miss him.

"You really didn't expect us to be leaving, did you?" Theo looked between the door Cooker had just left from as something dawned on her, "You thought our fleet preparation was a way to escape if a coup failed. You thought we wanted the throne and that we came here to poison you."

"I was almost certain you were headed off on a voyage but one can never be too careful. I do admit the thought crossed my mind that you would attempt a coup. This island is your home and you are angry," Uncilo explained, "I did, however, think you would overthrow me before the sun ever came where you left this island."

"You think you have everyone figured out," Theo shook her head, "After all these lengths, I wish I had more to say to you. I wish I could even muster up a thank you, but I can't. Goodbye, Uncilo."

"Theo, stay for a proper conversation."

"I'm going after Cooker," Theo began to walk away, "you've always tried to get between us, but I am not letting another moment pass by where I don't have her fucking back."

"You are trying to make it out to seem like I've abused you girls your whole life! I gave you a future," Uncilo yelled and for the first time in the conversation, raw emotion came through.

"We were children, Uncilo!" Theo turned around, "Do you know what that does to a child? The mind games. The expectations. The jobs. We were fucking children!"

Without letting him get another word in, Theo stormed out of the room to chase after Cooker. Xyra watched as Theo ran out of the room then fixed her gaze over to Uncilo who had once again thrown his glasses across the desk. His heads were in his hands and his body language shouted: pain. It wasn't often Xyra saw him lacking composure. She believed that not only did he think that a coup would be more likely than them leaving the island, but he probably would also have been less hurt by one too.

Xyra got up from her seat and walked to the drinks, pouring two fingers of rum for each of them. He didn't realize she was there until she set one of the glasses down on the desk. She sat down as he looked up from his hands.

"Not to worry. I did not poison it," Xyra said, "They may be emotional when they say it, but it does not mean they are incorrect."

"In regard to what?"

"Everything said," Xyra shrugged and took a sip of her drink, "your manipulation is inexcusable. I know they are both stubborn but not bringing your plans to them? It was your downfall."

"I have started to figure that right about now," Uncilo said and took a sip of the rum.

"I know you do not believe me when I say it, but I rarely ever talked about you behind your back," Xyra admitted, "besides my obvious frustrations with you when I was a child, I never tried to sway their opinion or demean what you did for us."

"Is that your subtle way of emphasizing that it was all my doing? No one else to blame but me," Uncilo took another sip.

Xyra chuckled a bit, "No. It was my way of trying to get to some point about them loving you, but I can see how I was off to a bad start."

"Please, go on," Uncilo said but it was unenthusiastic

"You don't deserve any consolation, but my heart likes to start beating at all the right moments," Xyra took a deep breath, "but just because they are angry now, and angry with you for all the things you've put us through, they do love you. And that is why they are so emotional."

"Following that logic, your unemotionality comes from your lack of care for me?" Uncilo half-joked.

"It comes from lengths of training myself out of feeling anything," Xyra shot back.

"Why are you still here?" Uncilo asked in a genuine way, not a sarcastic one. Incredulousness in his tone, the last person he had expected to stay was in front of him.

"I have some questions I want answered," Xyra shrugged, "I just want the truth. I will not yell, or get angry, or blame you. Is that reasonable?"

"You have always been the easiest to be candid with," Uncilo waved his hand and finished his drink, prompting Xyra to begin.

"How did you decide what we were each going to specialize in?" Xyra put her glass down and leaned forward a bit, "I remember about a cycle of testing. Early mornings and late nights. Interrogations. Mental exams. Physical ones. But I never remember what happened after. There is just a gap. Next thing I remember was learning how to maim people."

"After testing, I had a conversation with a specialist that helped analyze your scores," Uncilo began.

"Specialist is an elaborate word for assassin."

"Assassin trainer," Uncilo clarified and Xyra couldn't help but laugh with a shake of her head, "this specialist made recommendations for each of your areas of expertise."

"And I was recommended for torture?"

"You were what that with what the specialist called a once-in-a-generation opportunity," Uncilo chuckled a bit and he looked to be reminiscing, "you were marked with a high aptitude for any of the potential careers paths an assassin could have been trained for. Torture happened to be the most useful one. It was also the path that the least amount of people were ever deemed good for. I thought it would be the most lucrative one for you."

"For you or for me?" Xyra asked.

"For both. It would bring me profits and make missions go better. For you, it would make you a commodity that people would pay thousands for," Uncilo explained, "I knew that making a kid do what you did was not ehtical, if that is what you are trying to get at."

"I was not," Xyra clarified, "but you brought it up. If you knew it was wrong, why did you do it?"

"It seemed like the best idea at the time. Once I had begun to second guess the decision, you were in too deep," Uncilo looked regretful, "I worried about you. I still do. But you are good at what you do, Xyra. And you have parameters, you are not a deranged killer."

"I do not need this from you, save whatever justifications you have" Xyra shook her head, "I just want to know why you treated me the way you did. I want to know, if I was such a golden opportunity, why did you hate me?"

"I never hated you."

"I was always singled out," Xyra shook her head, "I could never do anything right. Any successful mission was always met with more demands. More critiques. More responsibilities."

"Why does this matter?"

"Because you are the reason I am like this," Xyra let it off her chest, "my nerves are in disarray and I am always on the edge of a breakdown because of what you put me through. I strive for perfection even if it causes me pain, because of you."

"I thought we were not placing blame," Uncilo pointed out and Xyra held her hands up in a truce. Uncilo got up and poured himself another drink, "issues with your mind and nerves are something that runs in your family, Xyrabellis, this was not all my doing."

"And you did not make what I inherited any easier," Xyra shot back, "just tell me why you treated me that way when Cooker and Theo always seemed to get off easier for doing much worse."

"You were my favorite that first length you were with me," Uncilo reminisced, "Cooker was always crying about something or other because she missed home. Theo was still so young, I had no patience for her really. But you, Xyrabellis, were something so special. That is why I pushed you at first."

"At first but what about after. You and I both know that you were cruel to me some nights. Words that Theo and Cooker didn't get. Words I have never told them about. Some of them still haunt my dreams... Those did not come from a place of pushing me to be better."

"As you grew up, all of that talent was buried under your timidness, your reservedness. Theo and Cooker soon became firecrackers. Talented in their own ways. They began to put together elaborate plans, child stuff, like the greatest pirate fleet known to man. Then, it was more serious. They showed exuberance at the thought of leading something big. You never showed that. You were always in the shadows, lifting them up. I thought maybe if I pushed you, I could light a fire in you and make you yearn for greatness as they did. But you never did."

Xyra wanted candidness, and she was getting it. She had been trained, always, to keep her guard up and unlike Theo and Ccooker her guard never faltered in the presence of Uncilo. It hadn't it quite some time. His words hurt, even without intending it, but she had heard worse.

"Eventually, I knew it was not all of you individually that were set for greatness but all of you together. With you, as always, in the shadows pushing the both of them to greater heights than they could go alone," Uncilo finished his drink and sighed, "I should be fighting harder for all of you to stay but honestly, this island is too small for you... All of Baethos might be."

"It felt like you hated me," Xyra said after letting his speech hang. He had moved on to a new subject but she hadn't. It still didn't make sense. How could he act as if he cared for her when her experience with him always showed the opposite?

"Theo was right. I did forget, at times, that you were children. I had seen you each kill grown men; I could not wrap my head around any of you needing to be handled with care," Uncilo admitted, "I never hated you, Xyrabellis. I thought you hated me, and I never quite knew how to handle that. I am sorry. And for what it is worth, I am proud of you."

Xyra scoffed and rolled her eyes, "You have told many lies in your time, old man, but this one might be the boldest."

"I am," Uncilo nodded, "You are near impossible to fight. Your skill with your fists and the sword is undeniable. You are feared across the seas. You are sharp, strategic, speak more than four languages, and give some of the best pirates on this island a run for their money."

"Pride for my achievements... Not for me," Xyra shook her head as a morbid thought crossed her mind. She couldn't help but laugh at it though, "I may not have a connection to the gods, but their odd humor is not lost on me. I lost my father as a child and arguably the only good thing to come from it was that I was saved from his potential pressure and exigent personality. I was spared that, just to be cursed with you."

"I deserve that," Uncilo acknowledged.

Xyra laughed a bit and finally finished her drink. She set it down on the desk gently.

"What was the plan for me? Theo got Head of the Council, Cooker got to be her second and run the council's affairs. And me? Assigned to Theo's dirty work?"

"The fleet needs to go to someone. A strong captain is needed in the general body to provide a positive lean for Theo's proposals and decisions. You would guide her too. Use the fleet for whatever you three may need. Captain a new era of Corinspe with them by your side."

"So, doing Theo's dirty work," Xyra chuckled, "you were just monologuing to me about my lack of ability to be a leader. Severe oversight on your part assuming I would agree to captain a fleet."

"It would have been Theo," he said, "I knew that if she asked, you wouldn't say no."

"That is the first assumption you've gotten right," Xyra smiled a bit and stood up, "I should catch up with them."

She walked until she was at the doorframe then turned around, "Theo might not have had the words, but I do... Somewhere between all the mistakes, there were good times. And good lessons. Thank you, for taking us in. And for letting us go."

"Goodbye, Xyra," Uncilo raised his glass to her.

And as she turned to walk away, she swore saw his eyes glistening with fresh tears.

—-----

Theo walked through the halls until she found Cooker leaning against a wall with a frown on her face and her arms crossed. Theo picked up her pace, jogging over once she caught sight of her advisor. Before Theo could say anything to comfort Cooker, she spoke up first.

"I don't resent you," she said.

"I know that," Theo replied.

"All of that that I said in there, about him always choosing you-"

"It wasn't about me, Cook, I know," Theo assured her.

"But let me say it. Let me say that I don't think you were unfairly given anything. I don't hate you for being the one chosen as the Head. I don't think you didn't deserve it," Cooker looked sad, like she had regretted saying what she did in that room, "I don't want to leave with you thinking that I hate you, or hate working under you or being your advisor. It has been the greatest honor of my life to be able to build what we have under your command."

"Cook," Theo held onto her shoulders, but Cooker looked away, "we always imagined you at the Head of the Council, with me running a fleet and being the voice of the Council amongst the other captains. I understand your anger with Uncilo and that you feel betrayed. I know you don't resent me, alright. You know what else I know?"

Cooker turned her head to look at her captain, "What?"

"That he is mistaken about what you are capable of. He is mistaken that you can't handle the responsibility or lead a group," Theo reassured her and gave her a shake, "You are brilliant. You can handle the pressure. I know you will captain your ship and the rest of the fleet safely down Efriti."

She nodded, acknowledging Theo's words. After a pause, she took a sharp inhale.

"Theo-" Cooker cut herself off with a shake of her head, "never mind."

"No, speak your mind."

"The new island. I know it's far off in the future, but I would like to be taken into consideration when it is decided who will run it," Cooker said.

Theo smiled, "Cook, I have no idea what the island is going to look like, how we are going to set it up, what our system to govern will be, or any of the logistics, politics, or details. But there is one thing that I am sure of. You will be running it. I can't think of a better person."

Cooker just stared at her, tears forming in her eyes. Some of the leftover emotions from Uncilo's words combined with Theo's promise probably pushed her over the edge. Cooker rarely ever cried but two drops fell down either side of her cheek.

"Thank you," Cooker wiped her tears and looked down at her sleeves, "I'll work for it. I don't want it handed to me because you feel bad."

"Whatever doubt Uncilo planted in your head, you need to shake it off," Theo said, "you have not been handed anything since you left home, Cook. Your history with substances shouldn't erase all of your accomplishments. It doesn't make you less of a person or less deserving of anything. Xyra struggles with her nerves, I struggle in pulling in my emotions and you struggle with finding ways to cope. We all have our things. We are young, we are learning. You've already worked hard, you've already earned that spot, whatever it may be."

Cooker just nodded. Theo knew when Cooker was blowing off a conversation or advice and this wasn't it. Her scrunched nose and furrowed brows gave away her concentration in internalizing the words Theo said. No one could make Cooker question herself more than Uncilo, which was not good when Cooker was about to take her first journey as a captain, and she was doing it alone.

"I hate him," Cooker said and Theo hadn't heard that since they were kids, "I can't believe I've let him have control over me for so long. I just did what I was told."

"What is it you used to say when trying to convince Xy to come do something stupid with us? Following the rules gets you nowhere? Should have listened to your own mantra," Theo joked a bit, and Cooker couldn't help but laugh, "we are starting fresh. Forget him. Forget anyone who has made you feel incapable. Forget that voice in your head that tells you that you aren't good enough."

Theo pressed a finger to Cooker's temple and Cooker turned and made a biting motion towards it. They both laughed and Theo shoved her a bit.

"I'm fine," Cooker assured her, "you can stop being all sentimental now, loser."

Theo laughed as she took out her dagger, twisting it in her hand, "The faster you run, the harder it is to hit you. So, you better run fast."

Cooker laughed as she began to back away, "Where is Xyra when you need her?"

At the mention of Xyra, Theo turned towards the direction of Uncilo's office and looked down the hall. She put her dagger away with furrowed brows, "Where is she?"

"Probably talking to Uncilo," Cooker shrugged.

"I don't like that."

"Because he's probably being mean to her and she's already on the brink of a breakdown?" Cooker asked and Theo nodded, "I've been thinking the same thing."

"At least if one of us is there, we could hear what he was saying and comfort her after," Theo pointed out, "But, she's not going to tell us what they are talking about."

"Probably not," Cooker said.

They both stood in a hallway, close to the exit, waiting for her in silence. Cooker, unable to stand still, inspected the nooks and crannies of the hallway as if they had not grown up and spent hours in them. Soon, footsteps echoed and Xyra came their way. She didn't look sad, or perturbed, or humiliated. She seemed fine. As she approached them, she sort of picked up the pace and when she was close enough she opened her arms and pulled Cooker into a hug. Theo's eyebrows raised a bit at the rare display of affection on Xyra's end.

Xyra held on tightly for a few beats before pulling away and taking a few steps back. She was about to say something but Cooker raised her hand.

"Save the speech, Theo already gave me one," Cooker laughed, "I'm fine. Thanks for the hug."

"Then it seems everything is in order here, we should get going with everything else," Xyra said.

"I have something to attend to here before I inform Kaia we are going," Theo nodded at the both of them, "you know what the plan is. I'll meet you all at the docks later."

Theo waved them off and then cracked her neck, moving it from side to side. She was preparing herself for something she didn't think she had to courage to do until she stepped into the building. With a deep breath, she set off in the direction of the dungeon.

—------

Keys jangled in front of her and then a lock clicked. The guard in front of the door stepped back and turned to look at her.

"Door's open. I'll be right out here," he walked a few steps away and Theo stared at the door.

She had nothing to be nervous about yet could feel her heartbeat in her throat. The door dragged against the cell floor as she opened it, creating a disturbing scraping sound that Ulises Vaith turned his head towards. He looked as if he had been in a cell for almost a cycle, with no light, little food, and regular beatings; so, he looked like shit.

"You don't look very good," Theo walked into the room and pulled in the guard's chair as she shut the door. She sat down, "this is a long way from Aubermasse, huh?"

"Here to get your revenge?" he looked up at her with sunken eyes.

"I have no interest in torturing you, Ulises," she answered, "I need questions about your sister answered."

He chuckled, "What use is it to you? You shipped her off back to my family."

"You lied about it all," she accused.

"It was not hard to convince you," Ulises shrugged with a sly smile.

"That's all I needed," Theo stood up.

"That is it? I have a trove of information about her and my family and you are going to leave? Pathetic," he laughed again, "cowardice."

"I can torture you for cycles and I won't get a word about your family," Theo laughed too, not letting his taunts affect her, "and I know everything I need to know about your sister."

"That she's naive, easily manipulated, a slag?" Ulises tilted his head; he was saying it to get a rise out of her.

"That she lasted longer in this cell than you have so far. That she climbed her way to the top of a ship within a few cycles. That she's curious. Capable. Outgoing. Compassionate. And everything that you would despise in one of your sisters," Theo sat back down, "She renounced her name. She is no longer a Vaith."

"How adorable. I bet she felt really special. Did you make a big fire for her so she could burn her little paper with her name on it?" he laughed, "Your ceremonies are meaningless."

"What do you think your father will do now that both of his golden sons are not coming home?" Theo finally gave into his mockery, "You think he'll risk it with taking your other brothers under his wing?"

Theo inhaled through her teeth, "But you know what they say about third and fourth sons...Maybe he'll finally lose it all. Your legacies, your status as nobles, your family destroyed because of you. Taken down by some pirates."

Ulises kept quiet and Theo stood back up.

"Thank you for this."

"You will go down in flames soon," he said, "your hubris is too much."

"You have no idea what you are talking about," Theo chuckled, "you are just putting words together and hoping they strike a nerve."

Without much warning, she drew her leg back and snapped it forward to connect with his face. One kick was all it took. He was out cold. She pulled on her coat and walked out.

"Guard, make sure he's not dead."

—-------

She pulled the reigns back, bringing her horse to a stop. The trees were all around her as she tied her ride to one of them. She walked along the short, man-made path that led up to the small, humble home. As she approached it, a person came out from around the back of the house with a sack over their shoulder. Theo stopped in her tracks and turned her attention to the person.

"Theo," a winded Kaia spoke up, "I was expecting you to come to inform me about our departure a little later. I haven't finished some of the errands I need to run before we leave."

Theo's mind began to turn when she was in Uncilo's office. What if his reaction to them leaving wasn't genuine? What if he had known all along and the act was to cover his tracks. He could have easily hired Kaia. Or, her favor to him was to make sure to spy on them and inform him if they were planning a coup. It made no sense as to why she would want to join their crew. She had believed the story about a book being her inspiration to join a good cause but Theo was foolish to have done so. The possibility of Kaia being a spy was too great to ignore and Theo had gone there to confront her, not just inform her of their departure.

Theo stood in place, a few feet away from Kaia and the entrance to the house. She had rushed over there but was regretting doing so without a plan. Would she charm her or come out with it? Confusion spread across Kaia's demeanor at Theo's lack of reaction to her words.

"Captain Theo, is everything alright?"

"Are you working for Uncilo?"

Kaia laughed a bit, "If I was, is that really the best way to ask?" Why not get me on board first then have Xyra torture it out of me?"

She took three steps forward and before Kaia could fully register it, Theo had pushed her back and she hit the wall. Theo's forearm came to press Kaia's chest back and secured her to the stone outside her home. Theo's free arm snatched the dagger from her waistband and held it to her throat, "There is poison on the tip of this knife. It will paralyze you for a few hours. That is certainly enough time to get you on board so Xyra can do that. But I would prefer to just ask. No having to walk around it."

"Again, what will that do? I can just lie to you."

"And I would be able to see through it."

"Worked well for you before with whatever her name was? Vivexa?" Kaia chuckled, "Oh no, my mistake. Avery Vaith. Or was it both?"

Theo could bury the tip of her knife inside of Kaia's neck but if someone came into her home and held a knife to her neck, she wouldn't be kind either. She had to rein in her anger. She had to stop being so aggressive. She had to keep a lid on her volatile behaviors. There would be no nicking her with the poison. But still, Theo kept the pressure on her chest to make sure she didn't escape.

"Was the favor you granted him to come spy on us?" Theo rephrased the question.

"No," she answered but didn't offer any other information.

"Then what was it?"

"To keep my discovery of Fletching under wraps."

"You were his connection," Theo put the puzzle together, "his favor was to get you to find out about Fletching."

"No, he hired me for that part."

"Hired you with what money?"

"He has access to a fund only used at his discretion," Kaia elaborated, "the favor was to keep my mouth shut. Not tell the whole island about what I found."

Theo nodded then backed up and put the dagger away

"That's it? You just believe me?"

"I do, actually," Theo shrugged and backed away, "last cycle, I wouldn't have let you on my ship. But I realized that listening to my gut has worked more times than it hasn't. Trusting people isn't a weakness. The inverse of that is true."

"We have different philosophies about trust."

"Well, you need to trust me if I am your captain."

"After you held a knife to my throat?" Kaia crossed her arms as one eyebrow popped up.

"Your secret landed me in jail and yet I have offered you the job of my first mate," Theo said, "we are even."

"Oddly, I do trust you," Kaia admitted, "That is why I am still joining your crew even after your little display."

Theo gave a tight nod, "So, it's settled. Your room is ready with all the stuff you sent over. When you get there, find a pirate named Skins. She'll get you settled. We leave in an hour. That's all I came for.

"And to hold a knife to my throat."

"Can't promise you it won't happen again. We've got some rowdy pirates on board," Theo shrugged, "Welcome to the crew."

"Just came from Captain Owl," Cooker jogged up to Theo on the docks, "He is going to make sure to let the pirates know we have left Corinpse for good. Told him that we are weighing our options for what we are doing next but that I will send word from Niveal when we decide."

"The island is next," Navi chimed in from next to Theo

"Aye, but that isn't something we're just telling people," Theo said and turned Navi, "updates?"

"I've got all of the captains on each of the ships accounted for, except Cook," Navi pointed over at her, "the route is set. Everyone knows what to do."

"Thanks, Navi," Theo said and turned to Cooker, "time to get you on your ship."

"Gotta wait for Xy. To say goodbye," Cooker pointed out her absence.

"I caught her on my way back. She's on her way here but she'll likely be the last one to board any of the ships. You've got to get on yours. I'll make sure we stop the fleet before you take off so you can say goodbye," Theo said and Cooker looked distraught. Theo nodded a silent command towards Navi to leave them alone and then turned back to her friend, "what's wrong?"

Cooker hadn't expressed any of her concerns before but with the time upon them, she was cracking. Theo knew she was apprehensive.

"Theo, I don't think I can do this," Cooker panicked, "I haven't captained a ship before and now I have to do that and help a fleet? What were we thinking?"

"That you are capable," Theo replied and took a hold of Cooker's face, "don't get in your head about it. Cooker, you are more talented than you know. You'll probably get to Niveal before we do."

Cooker smiled a bit, "Is that a challenge?"

"Sure," Theo chuckled, "now, go get your crew ready to leave."

Cooker saluted and walked towards her galleon.

"Cook," Theo called out and she turned around, "I'm proud of you."

"What was that?" Cooker smirked, "Can you say it a bit louder?"

"I'm glad you're leaving!" Theo shouted and Cooker made a rude sign before darting off.

Theo took Cooker's retreat as her turn to get onto her ship. She headed up to the helm, where Navi looked like she belonged. She was navigating the world's largest ship through the world's smallest entrance, but she couldn't look less fazed. She was a savant and a savior; her skills had gotten them out of sticky situations one too many times.

"Navi," Theo called out as she approached and Navi turned around, "I love you, y'know."

"I'm flattered, I really am. But I am kind of doing this thing where I am taking time to myself and away from anything romantic. Also, your best friend is my ex. Maybe it's a road we shouldn't go down," Navi was serious as she spoke but a small grin at the end gave her away.

"Oh fuck off, I just wanted to tell you that you are an important member of this crew. And thank you for everything. And for keeping shit together when I was being the way I was," Theo clarified

"No problem," Navi shrugged and went to turn back around but Theo grabbed her upper arm and stopped her.

"And, I'm sorry..." Theo looked up at her and tried to muster the most genuine tone she could.

"We don't have to talk about it, Theo," Navi smiled a bit, "just don't let it happen again or I'm staging a coup. My affinity for consequences emerges on the second wrongdoing."

"Understood," Theo nodded.

"How was your little vacation?"

"You were a hot topic of conversation," Theo said as she walked the helm to make sure everything was in place, "Cooker took it upon herself to try and fight Xyra for your honor."

"I keep telling Cook not to get involved," Navi rolled her eyes, "she was pushing me to speak to Xyra and clear up the air and now she doesn't want me to speak to her."

"She seemed pretty involved. She took personal offense to the fact that you two slept with each other," Theo said.

Navi frowned, "Xyra told you guys?"

"No," Theo chuckled, "you two aren't exactly subtle. Her arriving the morning after she was supposed to be there with marks all along her chest gave it away."

"Oops," Navi cracked a smile and shrugged, "I guess that was my fault. I also promised Cooker I wouldn't do anything with Xyra so I suppose the fight was my fault too. Sorry."

"Can I ask you something?" Theo crossed her arms, "It has no relevance to our conversation and you don't have to answer."

"Shoot."

"Have you three ever..." Theo tilted her head, "you know."

"Do you want the answer?" Navi laughed.

"I think I already got it," Theo frowned, "Why did I ask?"

"I have no idea," Navi laughed and patted her on the back, "take a lap, cap. Get some fresh air, you look nauseous."

"What else happens on my ship that I don't know about?" Theo scoffed as she began to climb down the helm.

"So, so much," Navi joked.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29 0 20
Upon the treacherous waters of the Caribbean, two indomitable souls are bound by an unbreakable bond - Captain Hazel Cabot and her fearsome first mat...
192K 13.4K 108
(gxg) Aboard the Scorned Woman, there is a crew pirates that hail from all five Baethean continents. They raid merchant ships and other pirates in th...
1K 78 18
When Elle Nilsen travels to Oregon to be her best friend Morgan's Maid of Honor at her wedding right after getting dumped, she resolves to find a fun...
141 5 5
One year after a traumatic accident sends Robin Doyle into a tailspin of drunken depression and isolation, well-meaning Annalise decides it's high ti...