Mirage of the Moon||TaeJin

By ukiyo_0701

A power hungry alpha plans to trap an omega in his greed to acquire immortality and limitless strength. An un... More

1. Prologue
2. The Prize
3. The Boy Who Lived
4. Into The Wild
5. Chasing Fires
6. Till I Find You
7. The Truth Untold
8. Dauntless
9. Fire On Fire
10. Arrival of Conflict
11. A Test of Will
12. The Trouble I'm In
13. True Colours
14. The Onset of A Storm
15. Cruel Intentions
16. Battle of the Beasts
17. Calling Me A Sinner?
18. Unstoppable
19. In My Blood
20. Beauty in Adversity
21. Alone, Together
22. I Will Be Your Armour
23. Tug Of War
24. The Unfitting Warrior
25. When Alpha Claims
26. This I Promise You
27. Can I Trust You?
28. Disaster In The Air
29. Caught In A Lie
30. Of Love and Lore
31. In Mood for Malice
32. Thunder and Lightning
33. The Mystery of Love
34. Where Our Horizons Meet
35. Where The Mind Is Without Fear
36. War Of Hormones
37. Truth Begins to Show
38. Echoes of Tomorrow
39. Better Left Unsaid
40. Stay With Me~Pt. 1
41. Stay With Me~Pt. 2
42. Be In My Touch
43. Caged In Camouflage
44. The Price Of A Life
45. War of Hearts
46. All You Never Say
47. A Game of Thrones
48. Beyond Enemy Borders
49. A Losing Game
50. Desperate Measures
51. The World Could be Ours
52. What We Fight For
54. Power Over Me
55. Half of My Heart
56. Legions Of Fate
57. A Twist of Fate
58. The Fault in Our Stars
59. Through the Storm
60. Because We Are Destined
61. A Heart of Courage
62. A Gift of a Dream
63. A Tryst with Destiny
64. Wings of Apocalypse
65. The Song of Surrender
66. The Birth of Tragedy

53. Rhapsodies of Change

3.3K 255 427
By ukiyo_0701

Third Person’s P.O.V.

They say hope begins in the dark and guides one into light… 

“I did warn you a long time ago…didn’t I?” Hoseok grinned turning towards the Commander, making Taehyung look at him with the kind of annoyed face that he specifically reserved for the other.

“Warn what?”

“That he was going to strip you off of all your pride…” his grin grew wider, almost comical and jeering “…and I would watch the day it happens.”

Hoseok was almost waiting for the other to grab him by the neck any moment but saw Taehyung turn back to look somewhere else and traced his gaze going to set on Jin.

“Hoseok…I pity you but one day you will learn that sometimes you don’t have to boast about a win” Taehyung smiled to himself “and about my pride…well, what can be more rewarding than finding the calm in the chaos?”   

“What calm in the chaos huh?” Hoseok scoffed breaking out in laughter “you’re the most chaotic person I have met…or even entire Kleon has ever seen!”

Taehyung still had his eyes on his mate as he patted on Hoseok’s back “you won’t get it now…I didn’t either…but I learnt…” he spoke before walking ahead to go and join where Jin stood “I was headed for destruction and yet I didn’t care…that wasn’t pride Hoseok, that was years of cruelty that got me to feel comfortable with self-destruction…”

Hoseok stood in silence as he tried to reflect on the words.

“But I learnt that there is salvation for me…for you…for everyone…we all have our way of finding the light…”

He stepped around the others surrounding his mate to find his place beside Jin, who instantly looked a lot more at ease with Taehyung standing by him. 

-

“Your wounds won’t heal if you do not let me help” Yoongi’s frown deepened when he felt Jungkook barring him from applying the medicines for the umpteenth time now. He had been trying for hours to ensure his wounds were properly cleaned and bandaged but Jungkook had been trying his very best to ruin his intentions.

“Just go…leave me alone…” his voice was tired, eyes still shut and his face scrunched in pain even due to the little movement he made.

Yoongi took a deep breath, eyes settling on the other who lay bruised and battered in the cold hard bed in the dungeon. His grandeur seemed to have left him completely now and his will to live gone along with it. Jungkook seemed to like he was waiting for the end.

“As a medic I cannot-” “Hyung…”

Yoongi froze midway, it had probably been a decade since Jungkook had addressed him as his hyung and the word brought back early memories from the days when Jungkook was a younger equally dear to him as Taehyung. 

Time has a way of making changes that we are often bound to accept, even against our will and Yoongi had merely accepted the fact that the Jungkook who had once held him in high esteem and had adored him as a child had chosen to change over time. He had grieved in silence every day that he had to watch his younger brothers grow harsh and cruel against each other and after years of trying to make them see that they were both victims of oppression and should not blame each other, he had failed. He never meant to choose sides, at least not among them but had to because his integrity wouldn’t let him side with treachery.

However, if Yoongi was being completely honest, to him they were still equally dear.
“I have something to ask of you…”

Yoongi watched the way Jungkook’s chest rose and fell in slow heavy draws as he found it difficult to breathe freely.

“In the left compartment of the desk in my study” he blinked his eyes open, onyx gaze glazed with an emptiness that masked the concern very effectively “there is a sealed envelope, labelled ‘entitlement’…I had intended to give it to him myself but…”

“Whom-” “It has the receiver’s name…and some instructions about something that has to be done” Jungkook cut his question to reply before he closed his eyes, his wounds leaving him feel more frail by the minute “please ensure it is carried out accordingly…think of it as my last wish of sorts” he tried to chuckle at his own words but the bruises on his face burned and he was grimacing at the pain yet again.

“Jungkook you are simply being stupid now” Yoongi’s voice had the reprimand of an elder sibling “stop this…you’re not dying…your wounds are going to heal just fine…you’re going to be well-”

A mocking half-laugh and half-groan cut the elder alpha’s words yet again.

“Well?” He scoffed at the word “you really think I will get well?”

Yoongi knew what he was referring to but chose to stay silent about it.

“Of all the people around me, you are the one who has actually known that I haven’t been well for a long time hyung…”

“I still believe you can get well…you were healing and progressing remarkably when Jimin was-” “I still haven’t forgiven you for doing that you know” Jungkook’s head lolled to the other side as Yoongi saw his eyes flutter open to blankly gaze at the wall on the other side “you made me feel weak…as the king I am never supposed to look weak…”

A heavy silence filled the space as Yoongi remembered the time when the late king had appointed Taehyung as the Commander-in -chief while Jungkook was yet to attain the throne and the entire kingdom was talking about how the king must believe in the trueblood’s powers more than he had faith on the crown prince. He had seen Jungkook have fits of volcanic anger that led to bizarre hallucinations and was driven to ask Jimin to help him in calming the king down with the help of his powers.

That was also the time Yoongi had realized that Jungkook used to force his wolf to act so cold towards the omega since his entire greed was driven by his plan to overpower his ‘undefeatable’ brother…and it was the reason Jungkook had spent years searching for a way to be invincible before the trueblood.

“I might not be as strong as a trueblood but…as an alpha, I too feel shame to look weak before my omega…”

“There is nothing to feel ashamed of to seek help to recover from an illness” Yoongi’s voice was stern yet supportive “I asked Jimin to help because it was the only way for you to feel at peace, but your biggest fault was going against your wolf…discarding it’s needs…a mate bond is just not about a claim Jungkook, our wolves choose a mate knowing that it belongs to the other…the bond would help both and help you feel complete.”

Yoongi watched Jungkook go quiet as he continued to blink at the empty wall, and a part of him knew that the younger was probably still trying to fool his own mind or telling himself that Yoongi was being a bore yet again but Jungkook’s next words made him realize how every decision Jungkook had taken over the years had contributed to end up being a reason for his own fall.

“As a king, Kleon’s future was my responsibility…how was I supposed to just do as I pleased when I knew what my brother’s destiny spoke…?”

The air grew chilly and heavy with anticipation of the future Jungkook knew he could not succeed to reform. Despite all his sacrifice he had failed to ensure the end of the monster…and Kleon was still in danger.

“How was I supposed to be happy with my omega knowing he will take away everything from me in the end?”

And Yoongi couldn’t say anything against those words or discard those calling those false beliefs because Taehyung had told him how Jimin had told him about the seer and her prophecy…and how it was slowly beginning to come true.

“At least right now I can choose to die alone…than ruin another’s life along with mine…” Jungkook sighed softly, closing his eyes as he felt exhaustion and pain making him weaker.

-

“I don’t think he is willing to live even till his punishment is declared…seems like he has really given up…”

Yoongi’s as well as Taehyung’s attention were drawn as they saw Hoseok enter the large study where the rest were busy in planning the reformations they believed Kleon could benefit from.

Hoseok walked around the desk to take his seat beside Yoongi “he has denied to eat every time they served him food” he sighed to himself, his gaze moving to the others as concern flickered in them “it’s been two days already.”

A frown formed on Taehyung’s brow “what’s he trying to prove now? He knows he deserves much worse anyway…he never flinched before declaring punishments on others…”

Yoongi stayed silent, head dropping back to the scrolls that lay before him “and has he stopped with the screaming?”

There was a heavy pause and Hoseok’s gaze stayed on the side of Yoongi’s face, he knew as the king’s medic the other was well aware of Jungkook’s ‘hallucinations’.

“I haven’t seen him sleep in the last two days either…not even for ten minutes…”

Their conversation was cut short when they saw Jin enter the study followed by a few guards.

“They queen dowager is nowhere to be found” he stated marching up to join them at the desk “I heard there was some disturbance last night…? Did she really try to break Jungkook out of the dungeons?”

“Well, she was furious with your mate for making the ‘King’ stay in the dungeon” Hoseok explained with a taunt in his tone, his gaze moving to the trueblood who scoffed at the words.

“She had some nerve to demand that he must be allowed to stay in his chambers…she should try to get her mind wrapped around the fact that he is a criminal…no longer the king” Taehyung spoke rising from his seat to walk closer as Jin neared him.

He could see his mate’s eyes come to stay on him, the gaze turning pleased as he caught the little curve of Jin’s lips beneath the myriad of other things they had to quickly get busy with since the dethroning of the last monarch of their kingdom.

“You should rest awhile” Taehyung spoke clasping at Jin’s wrist, an action resulting from his own jitters which seemed like they were going to stay till the potion would wear off. His wolf was annoyed with how much he missed his mate’s scent, and the little feeling of Jin’s warmth and steady beating pulse against his fingers provided the assurance he was desperately seeking to ensure himself that his omega was fine. It wasn’t helping either that Jin was pregnant, it made him anxious with worry every single minute and stay instinctively on edge around everyone who even looked at his mate.

But he wasn’t going to be acting that same beastly way he had been. Feeling territorial and possessive about his mate was his first instinct…and it was a battle against himself as he tried to gulp down the building growl as he saw Jin turn away to converse with Yoongi and deny him a reply.
And yet his grip tightened on Jin’s wrist as he tried to grab back at his attention.

“Let me take you home-” “You can’t take him home right now Commander…remember about the, well I don’t have a word for it yet I guess, other than calling it ‘coronation of the new leader’…you know the rules…gotta make it official and all” Hoseok spoke with a shrug as he pointed to the scrolls Yoongi had been preparing for the last couple of days, earning an annoyed grunt from the trueblood for always finding ways to interfere in his intentions.

And yet it was the omega who startled him this time as he suddenly turned to grasp at his hand and leaned close to whisper to him “I have something to tell you” he spoke with a grin making Taehyung get even more worried and with that Jin hastily tugged the alpha to follow.

“You should get ready for the coronation Seokjin” Yoongi called out after them and Hoseok joined along to taunt “Yeah…and for godsakes don’t dress like a foot soldier for today! Your mate seems rather careless in taking good care of you Seokjin…I remember you looked like an angel in those white silk robes when I brought you here from Eulan, look at you now…” he sighed in a comical tease to intentionally rile up Taehyung “you truly look like you just survived a war, looking so pale and haggard in those shabby clothes…”

Jin took the words in serious concern, checking out his appearance because he knew he must be looking really messy right now. The soldier’s clothing he usually wore looked rather worn-out “I r-really should change, shouldn’t I?”

And for a moment he felt the kind of anxiousness seep that he had felt when he had to be present in front of a court full of people before his father.

“But I don’t have anything here” he looked up with a pout, turning to his mate now “we have to go home…Ha-yoon would know-” “You look fine…don’t pay attention to him” Taehyung spoke in a decided tone as he clasped at Jin’s wrist and guided him outside the room trying his best to look unbothered about Hoseok’s stupid games as he told himself he was working on being a better alpha now and he could put away his need to see his fist break that fuckface’s jaw some other day.

“But he’s right…my clothes look ragged” Jin’s voice was a whining mewl as he still complained with a pout.

“I just said you look fine-” “I thought you liked me better dressed like an omega” Jin spoke in low tones following after the alpha, and the words made Taehyung halt momentarily before he was turning around to look at his mate.

Well, Taehyung really couldn’t lie about the truth in that…he did like seeing Jin dressed like an omega, it wasn’t anything crude…he just thought those flowy silken robes made Jin look pretty to the point of looking divine.

“But I thought you hated dressing in those” Taehyung remembered how his first attempt to dress his mate in wedding robes had gone down the drain with Jin throwing those at his face in anger.

“I don’t hate those…it just makes it a little difficult to walk”

“I see…but why do you want to dress like an omega to stand-” “Because I don’t want anyone to think I need to be like an alpha in order to lead…I want it to be an open space for the next person who would become the people’s representative…who could be an omega as well…I don’t want anyone to think that just because I am different or was given abilities not everyone possesses that they too have to be gifted to be a leader…our aim is to embolden them, right? I just want them to feel powerful enough in every way to believe that we are all equal in the true sense.”

Taehyung had fallen silent as he listened to the words and smiled wide before pulling Jin into his embrace “you truly will be a good leader to them darling…I have no doubt about it.”

Pride filled him when he felt Jin chuckle against his words before he felt Jin pressing his head to his chest and hug him back.

No words passed in between, Taehyung had been a little too concerned but Jin looked happy and that made him feel at peace as well.

“So, this is how you felt every time you bonded with him?” Jin’s voice was soft as he stayed warmly snuggled into the alpha’s embrace, face warm with a healthy blush as his eyes closed at how the feeling of sensing the glee their pup felt to be bonding with them together made his insides feel all gooey and blissed out.

Well, it was something really unexpected to Jin initially but when he realized what that feeling was, he couldn’t hold in his excitement and had literally pounced on Taehyung to give him the news that he could finally sense the pup and bond with him. He hadn’t thought that being able to attain control over Arcana would even let him bond with his child.

“How does it feel to you?” Taehyung asked peering down to watch his mate look truly happy at this moment, and he too could feel the bonding just as much as Jin could yet wanted to hear how Jin would describe it.

“Like a supernova of all things good…” Jin mumbled against his chest, denying to lose the proximity as he kept his arms coiled around Taehyung. Yes, he was currently severely missing that heady scent of his alpha that would help tone down his jitters all the time and was trying to curb the loss by basking in his warmth instead.

Taehyung laughed out at that “that’s just your hormones, there’s a wild rush of those going through your system but it’s normal-” “For some reason you sound like your mother right now…she’s always telling me these stuff…not like I still get it though…honestly, I didn’t get half of what she told me last day either…except the part that she was happy that everything was fine with the baby and that she was pissed at both of us” Jin thought out casually caressing and checking his own tummy to see how big he had grown and how bloated he must look.

“She isn’t pissed…it’s just how she says she was worried about us…” he spoke as they now walked along the hallways of the palace of Kleon that looked a little emptier than usual today, probably because the throne room was empty today after how the trueblood had grabbed at a battleaxe and struck down the grand seat that had once been the prized treasure of his forefathers, its pieces still lay there to remind how the trueblood had destroyed the throne.

And right now as they crossed the room, a short sight of the broken pieces slipped past them.

The lords had been dismissed next, and given duties accordingly but Jin had declared that after what he had watched during the time Taehyung was made to serve a punishment of two hundred lashes, he wasn’t willing to let those vile men take decisions to ensure law in the nation anymore.

“She is proud of us…but she’d rather see us safe than become martyrs for a cause…it was what she taught me as well…”
Taehyung’s words brought Jin’s gaze back on him.

“War isn’t always about honour or might…it is mostly about who survives…because it is he who lives who will get to tell the story to the future” he remembered her early teachings and a smile took over his lips in its own volition “she told me to beware…because in that someone’s story you might not be the martyr you believed you were…and time might remember you as a villain you never meant to be…”

Taehyung’s gaze wasn’t snarky, they didn’t seem conniving either and that soft press of his fingers clasping tighter around his and that smile that he was giving him right now made Jin feel a whole new world of things that he knew not how to figure out.

“And hence, she’d always tell me to be selfish in war…to think about the person I’d like to live with rather than giving up my life so that others could live theirs in peace…” he chuckled to himself, although Jin couldn’t understand what was so funny about it. To him those sounded pretty thoughtful and logical.

They walked around a little longer through the empty soundless hallway as Taehyung continued speaking and to Jin it was truly turning into a new experience to see the alpha not trying to be anything but simply himself as he chatted with him…it was probably the first time he was actually chatting with him this casually too.

“She used to tell me…unlike warriors who choose their land over their mate…choose your heart over your head, always.”

Jin blinked up at Taehyung, still caught in a wordless daze as he tried to understand what the trueblood was thinking, it wasn’t that the alpha was being devious like Jin had felt in those early days when he knew Taehyung hid things from him and instead of explaining he used to play crafty games to get his way. But right now, even with him not being able to affect his omega, Jin could sense the clean genuineness be it in his words, actions or in his eyes.

And when they finally faced the crowd to carry out the official event of the coronation of Kleon’s first…or the world’s first, omega leader Jin was holding his breath as he gazed at the sea of expectant eyes watching him.

Jin turned to stare at Taehyung whose content gaze currently took in the way the crowd began cheering in their names, hailing them as the future of Kleon. It was true, on fair terms there was no way Jungkook or any other could overpower the trueblood’s might and glory…neither could any of them win against his own unusual abilities…together they truly were beyond any mortal strength to overpower and he knew Taehyung was aware of this as well.

“They are waiting for you to say something” Taehyung turned to speak to him as he tugged him forward.

“What am I-uh-what should I say-” “You’re thinking too much…all you gotta do is be yourself Jin” Taehyung spoke leaning closer, a smile playing at his lips as he tried to ease the fumbling omega. He knew Jin was capable of the responsibility but he also knew that Jin would need to trust himself entirely.

“You see, I can make people drop to their knees and cower at my voice but I can’t change their perspective” his words were low but decided “that is something only you can do…”

“What do you mean by that?” Jin frowned at him struggling to follow his words.

“My father believed in using power as a way to overpower everyone else” Jin saw Taehyung look over the people with a knowing gaze “but as someone who has been born with the power to do just that, I learnt that my undefeatable strength allows me to do way more than that” his face seemed gleaming with pride as a smirk unfolded at the corner of his lips “imagine them not fearing our strength but trusting us? Imagine when it wouldn’t need a command to impose what you or I believe is right for them…but them thinking about each other’s betterment and choosing to do what is right…” his eyes seemed wild with something Jin had never seen but at times felt, it was the Taehyung that hid behind the cold hard surface “imagine the power of a nation when every person would think for each other, be another’s aid whenever in need…you can defeat a king…but you can never destroy the will of the masses…it will live on even if there is but one survivor…a seed for a future still…”

Jin wasn’t really sure that the words helped him to understand but he could tell that Taehyung was not the sort of alpha who only craved to lead…he sounded like a man who had a vision of a different kind.

His gaze was still on the crowd as he spoke “I have seen it you know…it’s easy to kill a man but impossible to ruin his will…” he turned to gaze at Jin now, his eyes shining with the vision he had wished upon and had finally been able to take the first step “there is hope in people, not in systems or society but you and me” a zealous smile broke upon his lips “not just a royal to hold the glory of our land but every one of us…thousands…millions of us…and each of us equally willing to be the better…do our best…”

“So…this is what you meant” Jin’s voice was little as he began catching up “when you said that everyone had the right to choose to become what they wanted…?”

“I thought upon what you said about not conforming to laws just because it was the way…and came to the judgement that you were right…honestly, there were many laws I have often found to be too rigid or even coercive…so yeah, I realized they needed to be changed” Taehyung gave a nod, eyes bright with confidence as he spoke to his mate “everyone should be able to have a choice, that is something no one had under the laws my father had created…and Jungkook blindly followed…”

It had been so hard for Jin to get to the point where he could tell himself that Taehyung had changed over time to become a lot more understanding and approachable than those early times when Jin would flee from even being anywhere around the trueblood and yet he couldn’t believe the brute doing something like changing the entire history of Kleon and be this supportive of him.

Jin knew for a fact that this would not only create aggressive denials in this kingdom but others as well. This would probably be the most unbelievable breakaway from what has been established over centuries…maybe the most crucial turning point since the very beginning of civilisations. No one had even dared to think of such a thing and yet Jin could see the pride and resolution burning in Taehyung’s eyes to see his long sought intention playing out just as he had wished for.

It was then that snippets of earlier conversations with his alpha floated into his mind like echoes of this very intention to uproot the tyranny of the royals to enforce a new reign of equality.

He remembered the times Taehyung had voiced his anger against the oppression of the royals…or the times he had said that he intended to bring the change he wanted to implement…or when he had told him that there will be a day when they will ensure to become the ones the royal palace would learn to fear what they were capable of and every head would bow before their power.

Was this then his way of proving to Jungkook and the Queen Dowager that he could achieve whatever he sought and they would be powerless before his intentions? Or was it truly his intention to stand up as a voice against the oppression against the people?

“So…now omegas can join the troops as well, right?”

“If they prove themselves capable…then sure” he nodded to see Jin’s eyes glimmer in delight.

“So…they are going to have equal rights from now on…and have a choice to do what they please as well…right?”

“You are the leader…you make the rules now” a grin took over his lips to see Jin’s eyes grows brighter still as the realization began seeping into the omega. Taehyung knew that despite Jin’s unbiased notions and stern zeal for justified norms, he was still unaware of how to take hold of the duties of being a leader. However, he could see his mate was slowly yet surely harping on what it would be like.

“I guess I need a raincheck on this not being a dream” Jin spoke shaking his head looking confused “I still can’t process the fact that it’s you saying these.”

And it made Taehyung chuckle as he snaked an arm around the omega’s waist “come on darling…you make me sound like some arrogant brute.”

Jin’s brow perked up at those words “that’s because it was exactly who you were…you were an annoying arrogant brute-” “Well then, I admire that it’s in the past tense now” the smirk that pulled at one corner of the trueblood’s mouth made Jin stop midway as he thought back on what he had just said.

He felt Taehyung lean closer to his ear “have you finally given up on your hatred against me then?”

Jin was about to scoff at his sly way of playing with words when he stopped hearing the next words.

“Could I then ask for something else?”

Jin’s mind was rather blank as he stared back at those darker eyes, they were still playfully glinting against his own but Jin could almost feel the smouldering heat of that gaze on his skin.

“What?”

Jin felt fingers scraping across his wrist as they glided against his skin to entwine with his fingers as Taehyung locked their hands together.

“Would you choose me as your alpha…willingly?”

“But you are-” “I’m not talking about the mark I gave you Jin…”

And the more Jin stared at Taehyung the more difficult it got to look away from those darker ones as he began realising that he was probably never going to figure out exactly what went inside that head of his alpha.

But for now the kingdom decided it was time for celebrations, although no official announcement had been made since the lords, the new leader, their commander everyone were busy with other problems. There were troops still recovering from the recent war and families grieving their loss, people settling back into their routine and the most prominent one was the constant news about their former king who had apparently been put in the dungeons by his half-brother. 

There were growing rumours about him as well…some maid said she had heard the king screaming in the middle of the night and had assumed that he was being tortured for his mistakes by the trueblood…some guard had seen the royal advisor visit him twice a day and came out only hours later and had assumed that they were trying to make him confess his crimes and king Jungkook would probably be beheaded after doing so.  

Although most of it were utter fiction and rumour but it was true that Jungkook wasn’t in his best state.

“People like a show” Taehyung scoffed muttering to himself as more such rumours reached his ears “it’s the reason one must remember that the crowd that applauds your win might also applaud your beheading…”

And Jin could see the truth in those words with his own eyes as he saw the same people who had flocked before North Gate castle once calling him and Taehyung monsters and tried to hurt them were currently yelling death to the tyrant king while shouting praises at them.

“My master says that we create our own destiny”

Jin’s voice echoed among the crowds who slowly fell silent and stood expectantly admiring their new leader as Jin’s voice grew stronger with every word he uttered.

“He taught me that each of us have the capacity to create our own identity…you become the person you act to be, you are what you do and not what others label you as…everything we do, every decision we take, every step we choose becomes a part of who we are as a person…so we must always choose wisely before doing anything…”

He breathed out, eyes gleaming as he saw them look up at him and Jin felt the sense of responsibility slowly but surely seeping into him.

“It is on us to work for what we envision” a little smile broke onto his lips as a rush of pride overtook him and he remembered Taehyung’s words yet again “because if we want to change something then it is on us to be strong enough to become that change” his eyes moved to his side to see Taehyung smiling down at him, pride brimming in the alpha’s eyes as he smiled.

Jin had been facing trouble in adjusting to the idea of what had really occurred, that he really was supposed to lead a kingdom…that the people had actually accepted that he’d be their guide to a better future…they believed he was right person to put their faith and trust upon. His eyes moved behind him where both Yoongi and Hoseok stood looking at him with the same pride, smiling at him as he stood before hundreds to give his first word of promise to the people, let them know what he was going to do first as the representative of all.

“You heard your Commander say that from this day onwards every person is allowed to become what they want to…and therefore there will be no longer any ban on omegas in joining the army” Jin’s words were decided as he spoke “there will be provisions to prepare omegas to attain combat skills…so that if they intend to then they too may join the troops during the time of war.”

A roar of voices erupted, most people acknowledging the statement although many were still against it.

“There will be more changes in those age-old laws…I don’t want to be rash in making those and will take my time as well as assistance from my trusted advisors to read into those before we decide which to keep and which to discard or what more changes we’d need to maintain a prosperous, impartial and stable system that will be beneficial for all.” 

“This is ridiculous! I’m an alpha! I don’t take orders from an omega!” A voice shot up from the crowd and Jin was aware that there’d be oppositions like this.

“I agree” he smiled, eyes cocky and glinting at the alpha who held an angry frown against him “and hence from today using a ‘command’ to force someone to do something they do not want to do will be held as a punishable offence. Any alpha using their ability to command unjustly will be held accountable and will have to justify their action, failing which they’d have to serve punishment.”

This however brought harsher outbursts, angry growls filled the crowd as alphas felt insulted. It was a right nature had given them, they believed they were superior and felt belittled to be barred from using what came naturally to them.

“No one should have the power or privilege to think they are allowed to dominate another by force” Jin’s voice was resolute as he let them know that the declarations he had made were going to stay.

The words got them to settle down again and Jin realised that it might take time but they will be able to get to that equalized social standards someday surely.

However, as he took the chance to mingle with the people and tried to listen and understand their wishes as well as former grievances, he began to realize that there was a lot more left to accomplish and the days ahead were to be fraught with tireless work.

-

Groups of people gathered to share the news about what was currently going on at the royal palace of Kleon, everyone had something to say…everyone had some new information to add about what they had heard and they were bubbling with surprise and anticipation as they relayed to one another the startling new occurrences.

“What are they talking about?”

The question made Jimin snap out of his silent reverie and he whipped around to see his mother looking at him expectantly, waiting for him to answer while her eyes inquisitively went to the cluster of people roiling in the rural streets around their humble home.

Jimin tried to wipe off the panic on his face and struggled to look unaffected as he guided her inside, shutting the wooden doors quietly.

“N-Nothing…they’re just talking about the war being over” the words were rushed as he closed the door and clasped at her arm to cross the open courtyard and hurry towards the inner rooms. His home was still quiet, the daily chores not having begun yet held the calm of the early morning.

“But I heard them saying something about the King of Kleon being challenged by that trueblood we saw…you remember him, right?”

Jimin didn’t respond to her and yet the way his eyes fell to the floor and mouth pressed shut made it evident that the news wasn’t new to him.

“I don’t understand alphas you know” she went on, moving to one end of the room as she began tidying up the place in the same casual habit as every day “it is difficult to not call them beasts…nothing seems to satisfy them, be it their greed for position or hunger for possession…they seem to love creating chaos…”

“Maybe that’s why it is better to let an omega rule” his voice was soft and eyes set outside on the empty courtyard, his chest strung tight as the words left his trembling lips “the future will be better…I am sure…”

He blinked away the tears when he felt hands rest on his shoulders “you learnt something more, didn’t you?”

Jimin tried to gulp the lump in his throat but his voice broke as he tried to speak “K-Kleon…doesn’t have a king anymore” and for some reason the words turned to pierce into him yet again, he didn’t know what to assume from the information he had gathered. He wanted to believe that it wasn’t what he was thinking but from what he had learnt he could only figure out that there had been a duel between Jungkook and Taehyung and that Seokjin was declared as the new leader to the people.

And a part of him…no matter how he tried to suppress it…was gnawing at his insides to know more…to know what had really happened…to know if Jungkook had lost more than the throne…

“They really made an omega a leader? Are you sure it is the truth…?”

Jimin was about to answer when the sound of horses neighing and loud heavy banging erupted at the door.

“Good heavens” his mother gave out a startled breath before she was turning to go and see who it was visiting them this early in the morning.

And Jimin’s query was answered the very next moment as he saw royal guards of Kleon break through the door to gather in the courtyard, their feet clamouring and kicking up dust as they spilled in dozens over the space.

Jimin froze and he heard his mother gasp at his side.

“Run Minnie” was all his mother said before she closed the door and pushed Jimin towards the hallway that led towards the back door. He saw his mother rushing to where the guards seemed to be jostling to capture his father and for a moment Jimin paused, regretting being separated from his parents yet again, fearing that they would get hurt for the ugly fate that seemed like it would never release him from its clutches.

However, he was met with an even shocking scene when he finally stepped out of the back door and came face to face with a dozen more guards standing there, their faces stern as they stood unmoving staring at his wide-eyed and frightened state.

“You don’t need to fear…I am not here to hurt you…”

His racing heart and fear-stricken gaze jumped over the guards to set on the voice behind them and Jimin saw the hooded figure step out to stand before him. He took a step back, debating if he should run back to where his eomma and appa might be facing severe troubles all because of him yet again but stopped when he read into the thoughts of the other and felt his breath catch at what he discovered.

The Queen Dowager removed the veil as she walked out of the crowd of guards surrounding her and stood before him, her face ashen and eyes brimming with tears as she struggled to speak “I will pay you anything you want…gold, jewels, land…position…name it and it will be yours…”

Jimin saw her mouth pressing tight as she gulped what was left of her pride, her eyes still struggling to remain just as strong and sharp as he remembered them. Yet when he remained silent to her offer, it was then he sensed that even the mightiest and proudest of souls had a breaking point as he saw tears rolling down her pale cheeks profusely as her entire form shook.

“Help me save him J-Jimin” her voice faltered as she broke into more tears now “he has surrend-erred himself…” she struggled to keep her voice steady but Jimin could see how scared she was “he won’t eat…he won’t talk…I d-don’t remem-mber the last time I saw him sleep…” she anxiously clasped at the veils that gathered in a bundle around her shoulders at the moment “I fear-I fear he will kill himself…” the words as if made her entire body hurt as Jimin watched her coil into herself as gasping sobs tore through her.

And Jimin knew it hurt her to talk about it because of how those same words made his chest burn as well.

Through the last few days that he had been free he had been going over so many things in his mind. They had come back to settle in their old home that had been left empty for so many years. He had told himself that he was finally happy, finally free and master of his own self…he was no longer a slave to anyone. It would be a lie if he said that he had not feared being dragged back to Kleon and punished by Jungkook. Honestly, he’d say he thought about it every single day…one might even say he was just waiting for it to happen. Living with the alpha had taught him that Jungkook took betrayal very seriously, he had no mercy for those who tried to defy him. Maybe that’s why when the guards broke into their home, he knew…he was ready to run but he knew he’d not be able to escape his fate.

But he was not ready to go back to being treated like he had been…he told himself he would not give up his freedom ever again.

“My powers aren’t like the omega princes’…I can’t save anyone-” “Yoongi is helping him with those…but the real wound he carries doesn’t bleed Jimin” her words were instant as she stared expectantly at the other “and only you know how to help him forget what torments him.”

Jimin’s breath caught as he stared back at the Queen “are you asking me to control his thoughts? That would be like controlling his every thought and movement and-” 

“I am asking you to help him find his will to live…please…” the plea in her voice made Jimin’s inside churn as he read further into her fears, she knew that her son had not only surrendered to his brother but Jungkook had decided to kill himself now that he had no reason to live.

And Jimin read into the guilt the lady before him felt as she acknowledged to herself after all these years that maybe if she had not told her son every single day that he wasn’t good enough if he wasn’t the best or if the late king hadn’t made him feel that he was worthless without the throne and the title of the King then maybe Jungkook would have been a better alpha…or at least, he could be himself.

“My parents-” “Jimin” her voice echoed against the chill of the calm morning “I am not here as the Queen today…nor am I ordering you or threatening you…I am here as a mother desperate to save her child…”

She took a step towards him, her eyes rueful and human as she stared at the other.

“I know about what happened to you…and as an omega who had been abandoned by her mate to another who had to endure losing his mate and child…I am here to plead to you…”

Jimin felt all air whoosh out of him at the mention of that burdensome memory, tears spilling out of his eyes without his knowledge but his gaze froze to see the queen halt a foot away from him.

“Please don’t-” “No let me” her head hung low as she inhaled deeply and Jimin held his breath as he read into her thoughts yet waited for her to voice them out.

“Six years ago when my son took you as a slave to the royal palace of Kleon I knew…I knew it that very moment” her voice dwindled to a shaky stop before she inhaled deeply again, as if mentally preparing herself to speak “he had accompanied his father to several wars before n after and yet never once had he sought to bring along any other omega” she breathed keeping her gaze fixed to the ground still “every concubine that lived in the inner castle had been sent as a gift of amity among kingdoms or to settle disputes…Jungkook had never been that kind of an alpha who took omegas to be his playthings…”

If this was some other time, Jimin would argue because what happened to him was proof enough…Jungkook did not take him from Zyon as chosen omega…he was taken as a prize…a mere plaything whom he tossed and commanded as he pleased.

But right now he was stunned to silence…because he could read the words she was about to say.

“It was probably the only thing he had done against his fathers’ wish…his father didn’t agree to the crown prince bringing in a slave instead of a royal…it didn’t fit his motive as a king but Jungkook denied to back off…I had never seen him be that rude to his father, he never talked back at him…and yet he made sure to get you out of Do-Hwan’s clutches that day.”

Jimin wasn’t sure whether to believe what she wanted to explain, he would agree that the memories of being in the royal palace of Kleon had been not as painful and gruesome as what he had to endure in Zyon however, it wasn’t like Jungkook treated him well.

“He hurt me” his voice was angry at the moment, his omega finally complaining against all he had silently accepted as his sad fate.

The Queen fell silent at his words, her eyes still guilty as they stayed low.

Jimin’s eyes were on her but his mind ran to the times Jungkook let him peek into his head and even allowed him to see every scar he held within.

“But I know that’s just who he is…” his voice was flat but his gaze had a distant look of haunting pain “he hurts everyone around him…it’s how he deals with the insecurities and pain that keeps eating him from within…he accuses everyone for hurting him and believes they must repay.”

The Queen picked her gaze up to gawk at the other as she heard him speak.

“I feared him when I first peered into his mind” Jimin breathed through his mouth, the memory made his breath stutter “it felt like a chilling calm…as if he felt no emotions but I realised over time that the chill was not rage but regret…” Jimin blinked remembering the way it still haunted him “he regrets everything…even his existence…it was so overpowering that it drove his every action…every thought…he fears his own self, his own wolf…and he had snubbed it for so long that it became a mere shadow” he knew that even in extreme situations Jungkook never bared his wolf “thus he plots every step…his mind blocks his rationality at times when taking a rational decision could lead him to acknowledge his emotional side…he seems so cold” Jimin’s voice became soft, as he remembered the rare times he had seen Jungkook become humane “because he fears his warmth would be ridiculed as a weakness.”

The surrounding seemed to have grown even more chilly as he stopped talking, gulping down the several other things he had learned about the young king. 

“You’re his omega Jimin…you have to help him” the Queen’s plea was even more desperate now as she thought that the thoughtful words must be a sign that the omega was giving in and Jimin could see how utterly weak n stripped off of her arrogance she looked at the moment.

But Jimin’s jaw became stiff at the thought, his eyes lost the pained look and turned passive.

“I am not bound to do anything for him…if he has chosen to end his life then it would be coercion to force him to stay-” “So…you never felt the bond?”

And that was the snapping point for Jimin.

“What bond?!” His voice had suddenly turned sharp and heated, he rarely ever got angry but he knew right now he was more hurt than annoyed as pale icy eyes burned in white hot fury. 

“I am his omega you say…what alpha treats his fated like the way he did to me?!! What alpha calls his omega a filthy slave?! He said he’d never claim me! I save him…then what?! Do I keep saving him for the rest of my life?! Who saves me huh?! When do I get to feel safe again?! When do I get to be protected?!”

He was fuming and sobbing and yelling all his inner turmoil at the moment.

“Six years and not a day that he treated me like an omega he desired! I was always reminded of my position as a slave! He knew…he knew he affected me and yet played with me like I was a mere toy he was allowed to treat as he pleased! Wy did you come here?! Why me?! I will die anyway…why should I care of what happens to him?!!”

The queen didn’t speak as she waited for him to voice it all out, she knew those enraged words weren’t just aggression against her request but complaints the omega had held within for a long long time.

“I hold no title…have no power or position…just another insignificant breath of life and hence no one would care if I am no longer there” his voice fell to a severe low, but the sharp understanding in it was more than evident “I should have died along with my alpha…” the deep regret made his throat choke with pain “life feels too cruel without a heart to share the pain with” a deep sigh proved how tired he was after everything “why should I care what happens to anyone?”

“Because you know…saving him will save you too…”

The words made Jimin go quiet as he stared at her, his gaze blank and yet they held waves of emotions the omega dared not unveil. It was the truth Jimin couldn’t deny. The emptiness and the harrowing pain his omega constantly felt since the loss of its mate only seemed to settle around one alpha…it just happened to be his luck that he had a way of summoning ill-luck to himself and the alpha his omega chose to settle on this time had trouble written all over him. The queen took his silence as a scope to go on.

“Don’t do this for him…do it for yourself…I agree, you’re not bound to do anything for him” her eyes glinted and Jimin knew that she was only trying to manipulate him “but when he claims you, both of you can help each other…”

“You cannot promise me that” his voice was harsh but strong “he doesn’t see me as his mate-” “Jimin…you helped him for years, even if you’re lying to me…please do not lie to yourself…”

She was getting desperate now and her emotions spilled into the way his eyes looked pleading and his body had as if gone taut with a held back wail.

“You say he hurt you…why then did you chose to help him?”

Jimin fell at a loss of words, the sharp truth in her statement held the reality as he looked beyond his own anger and complaint.

“Because…sometimes he reminded me of myself…” he frowned to himself knowing the words were going to confuse the other just as much as they had confused him when he had pondered over it “beyond all his ugly habits, he too was trapped in a situation and wanted freedom…” he gulped to himself remembering the times he had peered deep into Jungkook’s mind “he too felt like he was too weak to fight and overpower the fate you all had trapped him in.”

Because only those who have suffered long, can see the light within the shadows…

“I know what feeling trapped in a situation beyond your control can do to you…it pushes you to do monstrous things…because to you everything that tells you that you still have some power in your own hands makes you believe that you’re doing the right thing…the voice in your head says it’s all good…and sometimes in all that empty howling darkness, that voice is your only friend…”

…and sometimes a new dawn looks like the answer to a long-said prayer…a new day begins a little brighter than the rest…and the new light teaches to look beyond what is merely right before our eyes…

When Jimin picked his eyes to look at the queen she was wearing a stone cold face with cheeks shining due to her constant tears “if you want to punish someone to atone to the sins committed against you, I am willing to serve-”

“You cannot pay for another’s sins Queen…at least not in the real endgame of life” a regretful smile pulled at one corner of Jimin’s mouth “he will have to pay for his sins himself”.

á na márië.

[A\N] Sorry that it took me a while to get back to updating...but I have some tiny good news to make up for it maybe...

I don't wanna spook away anything but there might be the possibility of some fluff coming our way... eventually...✨

🌚

Borahae 💜

Word count: 9.2k

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

801K 37.3K 55
Kim Taehyung, True blood alpha of Silver moon pack, Many enemies and people fears him...he never showed any emotions to anyone ever. Jeon Jungkook, r...
910K 32.1K 34
Completed 🔞Lots and Lots of smut🔞 💜 Jungkook and Taehyung are mates. However, their packs are enemy packs. Taehyung is pretending to be an alpha a...
32.5K 2.2K 41
OMEGAVERSE AU Kim Namjoon alpha of the pack MOONSTONE is in love with his childhood best freind , but his best friend is in love with someone else...
815K 37.1K 51
-A male omega who despises all alphas from the bottom of his heart due to some past memories is now being betrothed to the trueblood who is the Head...