Love You Goodbye (h.s. au)

Por kelseyrae21

After being in a long term relationship the past two years, and now newly single, Avriella is lost. She's use... Mais

AN
-
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Trailer
31
32
33
34
35
36
38

37

1.6K 72 30
Por kelseyrae21

The next morning, I wake with a start after having a nightmare of being chased by a swarm of wasps. My hand darts to my neck when I remember the end of it just before I woke up, where I got stung in the neck by one. Confirming that my neck is fine and it was only a dream, I sit up with a heavy sigh and push my hair away from my face. I look at the time to see it's well after ten in the morning and stare at my door in trepidation. I went straight to bed after getting off the phone with Harry last night, exhausted from my tears, so I haven't spoken with my parents yet. I'm dreading it, knowing the talk they're going to give me is either going to hurt me or make me want to tear my hair out.

I force myself to get out of bed and open my bedroom door, peeking out into the hall to make sure the coast is clear before darting to the restroom. I wash up real quick, do my business then make my way downstairs with reluctance. I tip toe my way to the kitchen and slow my pace when I hear the quietness, and I wonder if everyone went out for breakfast. I relax at the thought and walk into the kitchen to smell coffee. I pour myself a cup then rummage through the cabinets until I find a box of cheerios. I'm in the middle of pouring milk into the bowl of cereal when I hear footsteps approaching behind me. I stiffen and place the milk back in the refrigerator before turning around with the bowl in my hand.

My dad is standing by the kitchen table with his arms crossed, his lips in a firm line as he watches me grab a spoon. Judging by the jeans and ironed collared shirt, he's been up for awhile. Taking him in, I brace myself. His stance says it all. He's got things he'd like to say to me.

"Morning." I mumble, dipping my spoon in my cereal and stuffing my mouth so I don't have to talk just yet.

"Glad to see my daughter still has some manners." He says and I scowl at him, taking my coffee with me to the kitchen table. I plop myself down in a chair, chewing as my dad watches me. He sits in the chair across from me, leaning his arms on the table. "You have anything you'd like to say?"

"I'm not apologizing." I say firmly and look down at my bowl. There's a spike of nervousness that rushes through me for using that tone with my dad, but I ignore it. "I meant what I said about Karley."

"You were out of line, Avriella."

"Dad," I look at him and he arches an eyebrow at my tone. "Did you hear what she said to me?"

"I did. I also heard how you purposely got her in trouble by outing her to your aunt and uncle."

I press my lips together, feeling my ears get hot the way they do whenever I got in trouble with my parents. I don't feel I'm in the wrong here, but my dad does a good job of making me feel like I am. "Only because she brought up Harry. It wasn't her place."

"Speaking of," He begins and I already know he's going to hit me with twenty-one questions. "Who is this guy? Was Karley telling the truth?"

I bite the inside of my cheek and shake my head. She wasn't wrong about his past but, despite it, she didn't know him well enough to talk about him when he wasn't here to defend himself. "No dad, she wasn't. Karley knows nothing about my relationship with Harry and she had no right to taint it without you guys meeting him first. He deserves a chance to show who he really is to you guys and Karley just...ruined it."

"I'm sorry," I look up at my dad to see him watching me intently. "I don't know who this guy is so I was quick to believe her. You're right, he deserves a chance to make a good impression. But until then, I only know what I'm told. So, you don't have to tell me about him if you're not ready but I just want to know, is he good to you?"

I don't answer the question right away, because truth be told he wasn't at the beginning. Harry was the biggest asshole, with his arrogant grin and blunt comments. It's crazy to think I couldn't stand him in the beginning but now... things have changed. He's, different. Not completely, and I'm not stupid to think the person he was when we met is completely gone but he's been a good friend to me. Or whatever he was. "He is." I blurt, feeling my cheeks heat when my dad continues to study my expression. "I prefer not to talk about him though, if that's okay."

"Absolutely." He nods, leaning back in his chair and crossing his arms. "We can discuss how you're going to apologize to your mother then."

"Dad." I groan, dropping the spoon in my bowl and frown at him. "Mom completely embarrassed me last night. She took Karley's side, came at me like it was my fault."

"Your mom just likes everyone to get along. She wants peace, and she can't control Karley's actions. She's not her daughter."

"But she thinks she can control mine?" I feel my anger rising and breathe in through my nose. Letting the breath out through my mouth, I sit up straighter. "That's part of the problem, dad. I've kept my mouth shut about Karley for awhile now because it's what mom told me to do. How is that fair to me?" 

He pursed his lips, and I could tell I had the wheels in his head turning. He knew I was right, but I don't know if he had it in him to say my mom was wrong. He had her back, always had. I admired him for it but when it came to needing him on my side sometimes, to have someone in my corner, it sucked. 

"It's not fair...but, that still doesn't give you the right to speak to your mom the way you had. You could have gone about it differently."

Okay, I guess I could have. But sitting there and hearing Karley say the things she had, set a fire under my ass and I couldn't control it. Didn't want to. "I can admit I lost my temper. But I wasn't wrong in what I said." 

He nodded, and I knew that was as much of an agreement on my actions I was going to get from him. There was no point in trying to convince him more, but If I wanted to get out of here on somewhat good terms I had to talk to my mom first. Straighten things out with her before I took off to spend the rest of my break with Harry. Just as I opened my mouth to ask where my mom was, I heard the front door open. 

Ellie rushed through the foyer and into the kitchen where we sat, blonde pigtails bouncing as she jumped into my dad's lap. He caught her, laughing as he settled her and pressed a kiss on top of her head. Renee walked into the kitchen carrying two shopping bags and my mom followed in behind her carrying her own too. I sunk in my seat a little when my mom's gaze slid to me as she rounded the kitchen island, plopping the bags on top of it. 

"Look who finally decided to show her face." My mom tutted, and going by the tone in her voice, she was still mad. 

"Where did you guys go?" I ignored her comment and Renee slid into the chair next to me, opening a pastry bag. She held it open for me and I immediately plucked a strudel out. 

"We went into town and did some Black Friday shopping, then stopped at a bakery on the way home." Renee answered, biting into a blueberry scone. She groaned and shook her head. "I'm supposed to be watching my weight but damn, I can't resist. They're so good." 

I snorted and took a bite of the strudel, suppressing my own groan. "You're right, these are good." I looked around the room, eyes sliding to my mom who still hadn't said much to me. "What did you guys get at the stores?"

"I got some blouses for work and new jeans. Ellie got a new pair of shoes, some cute sweaters, and two new toys." 

"Toys!" Ellie grinned and I stared across the table at her, clapping her hands. 

"What'd you get Ellie?" 

"Doll!" 

"Two of them," Renee mumbled and rolled her eyes. "The girl has a bunch already. Her room is going to turn into one of those creepy rooms with them sitting on shelves. Watching." She shivered and I stifled a laugh. 

"I don't doubt it." I shook my head and took a sip of my coffee. "Where's Drew?"

"Out doing his own shopping. He didn't want to be stuck with the girls." 

"He's so dramatic."

"Speaking  of..." Renee turned in her chair behind me, a smirk pulling at her mouth and her eyes narrowing. "Last night was totally badass. High five." She held her hand up and I bit down on my lip when I heard my mom gasp from the kitchen. 

"Renee!" 

"I mean, not the part where you told your mom and dad off. That was wrong." She rushed, but leant in and whispered for only me to hear. "Karley had that shit coming. Kudos, sis." 

"Renee." 

"And that's my cue to leave." She shot up from the table, grinning like she just stole a cookie from the jar. She moved around the table, picking up Ellie from my dad's lap and swinging her onto her hip. "I'll leave you guys to chat." 

I watched Renee walk out of the kitchen then turned to my dad, who raised an eyebrow at me, then stood from the table. My mom came to take his place, and he pressed a kiss to her forehead before whispering something in her ear and walking out. The sternness on my mom's face was making me fidget and I shifted in my chair when she clasped her hands together on the table. I felt like I was ten years old again, getting in trouble for something I did at school. You're an adult, now. Suck it up. 

"I'm sorry, for embarrassing you last night." I blurted, pressing my lips together before continuing. "I hope you understand where it came from, though."

She studied me for a moment, eyes the same shade as mine sweeping over my face. Her mouth was set in tight frown, which told me she wasn't happy with me. "I understand Karley hurt you. What I don't understand, is how the daughter I raised was capable of being disrespectful." 

I ground my teeth together, jaw locking as I worked to keep my attitude in check. I didn't want to make this worse than it already was but damn, it looks like she wasn't going to make this easy for me. I took another deep breath to calm myself. "I didn't forget the manners you've taught me mom, but I'm not going to sit back and let someone walk all over me. Not anymore." 

"There are ways to stand up for yourself without being mean. Don't stoop to her level, Av." 

I fell silent for a moment, staring down at my mom's wedding ring as I thought over what she said. I guess she was right. I didn't have to be mean back but Karley...she's got a way of getting under my skin. Last night, I wasn't able to control it the way I usually do. "I know. I'll work on it, but I'm not apologizing to her. She had it coming." 

Her lips thinned, showing she wasn't too happy about that but nodded. "Fine. And me and your father?" Her eyebrow arched, waiting for the apology she felt she deserved. 

"I'm sorry...for saying what I said in front of everyone. I'm not sorry for saying it, though." I held my ground, but continued before she could start in on me. I needed her to understand. "Mom, I've held that in a long time. I need you to know that's how I feel. Like, you're both  siding with her even after knowing what she did. And it makes me feel like shi-," I caught myself at her eyebrow arching. "Like crap." I took a moment to gather the strength to say the next part, because it came from a vulnerable place. "Zack...he chose Karley over me. I hadn't been enough for him and the two important people in my life tossed me to the side like I was trash. It made me feel inadequate, like I was nothing. When you and dad side with her? It makes me feel that way all over again." 

Her face fell and her shoulders hunched over, hands reaching across the table for mine. "Oh baby, I didn't know it made you feel like that." She squeezed my hand. "You are not nothing, not to us. You're our little girl, always going to be no matter how old you get. We love you."

"I know, I love you too." I squeezed her hand back.

"I've only been trying to keep the peace. You know, I didn't grow up like you and your brother. My dad was tough as nails, had us working the farm until our feet ached so bad we wanted to cut them off. Had us sleep in the barn if we were anything but respectful and polite." She sighed heavily, and I nodded. Mom grew up in Iowa when she was little, then moved to New York as soon as she got the chance to for college. She met my dad during her third year. "I get stuck in my dad's old ways sometimes. I know it, and it's something I try to work on. So don't for a second think Karley is more important than you are. You're my daughter. I'm sorry for ever making you feel less." 

I felt my throat tighten, my eyes blinking as I swallowed the emotion down. "Thanks, mom."

She grinned, but then her expression became serious and she was pointing a finger at me firmly. "But don't you ever speak to me like that in front of a crowd again. You have something you want to share with me, you pull me aside so we can have a private conversation. You hear me?"

I felt my cheeks redden and nodded, laughing nervously. "Yeah, momma, I hear you." 

"Good," she grins and clasps her hands together, leaning forward like she wants in on a secret. "So, who's this Harry?"

"Oh my god," I groan and suppress a laugh. "You and dad are terrible."

"He question you already?"

"Yeah, but it felt more like an interrogation." 

"Well I want the juice. What's he look like?" She asked excitedly, and though I wasn't really ready for my parents to know about him it was too late for that. I decided I'd tell my mom a little, to make up for last night.

"He's tall," I start, picturing Harry as I spoke and feeling my stomach flutter. "Has brown curly hair, green eyes, dimples, a smile that can kill, and tattoos." 

"Wow," She looks a little dazed like she's picturing him and smiles. "He sounds handsome." 

"He is." 

"Last night you said he likes photography?"

"Yeah, but it's complicated with his dad. There's a lot of pressure on him so, I'm not sure what he'll decide."

She nodded, smiling sympathetically. "You can only hope whatever he chooses will make him happy." 

"Yeah," I nod, swiping my tongue over my lips. "Now that we're on the topic of him... he wants me to go visit him."

"Now?" Her eyebrows furrowed. "But, you just got home." 

"I can leave tomorrow." I tell her gently then immediately give my argument when I see her shaking her head. "Mom, I really don't want to be going to the picnic tomorrow. Karley will be there and I'm just done, with that. Harry doesn't have the greatest relationship with his parents and his Thanksgivings can be lonely. And I... well, I just want space from the rest of the family." 

"From us?" I frown at the hurt look on her face.

"At first, yes. But after our talk I want to spend today with you guys. But, I don't want to see our relatives right now." I wince, knowing if I attend the family picnic we usually have every year a few days after Thanksgiving, Karley and I will most likely get into it again. I wasn't in the mood to deal with her anymore. 

"Well, I suppose I can't make you stay. You're old enough to decide for yourself." She sighed and stood, leaning over to pickup my dirty dishes. "Let's get a move on then. Go get dressed so we can all have a fun day together." 

I smiled, pushing away from the table. "Thanks, momma." 

"Yeah, yeah," She waved me off, a small grin on her lips as she looked at me. "He better be worth it though." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello!

Glad everyone liked the last chapter and thanks for being understanding about me being gone awhile. :)

I've been outlining the rest of the story and I'm impatient! I want you guys to know what's going to happen I'm sooo excited. 

I know this one is a little short but wanted to leave you guys with something! Don't forget to vote and comment :) 

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

930K 35.3K 83
𝗟𝗼𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝗲, 𝗹𝘂𝗰𝗸𝗶𝗹𝘆 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗵𝗲𝗿, 𝗔𝗻𝘁𝗮𝗿𝗲𝘀 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 �...
308K 10.1K 52
There's no way you're hitting on me right now. ━ Lando Norris x Fem!OC © KissLeclerc , April 2024 Started: April 8, 2024 Completed: May 10, 2...
146K 2.8K 31
In the whirlwind world of basketball and broken promises, Nailea finds herself at a crossroads as she prepares to transfer to the same college as Pai...
228K 9.2K 60
𝗜𝗡 𝗪𝗛𝗜𝗖𝗛 noura denoire is the first female f1 driver in 𝗗𝗘𝗖𝗔𝗗𝗘𝗦 OR 𝗜𝗡 𝗪𝗛𝗜𝗖𝗛 noura denoire and charle...