Four Mates & A Tribrid

By Karma__Winters

*Sequel to "Three Mates & A Tribrid"* *Can be read as a standalone* Maeve Maxwell is the daughter of the infa... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52

Chapter 24

14.7K 644 314
By Karma__Winters

Colt's POV

I clench my fist tighter as the dark-haired beauty next to me trails her fingers down my chest. I could smell the floral perfume sprayed across her neck, along with another scent. Fear...and desire.

She's usually the exact kind of girl I would go for. Dark hair, ample breasts, submissive. And yet, I felt like setting myself on fire for letting her touch me. Because it's not her hands that I crave, but that of a stubborn and dominant silver-haired tribrid.

"Enough," I growled, knocking the girl away from me as I picked up a book discarded on my desk.

A huff of annoyance was released before Samantha stepped back into my personal space. "You invited me."

I snorted, "Actually, you saw me heading back to my dorm and invited yourself in."

She crossed her arms, putting her breasts on display, though I didn't bother looking. "Well, you looked like you needed company," she said, moving to place her hand back on my arm.

I caught it before it could reach me. "If I wanted company, I would have fucked you by now, Samantha. I asked you for something and you brought it. Anything else?"

Her eyes narrowed angrily as she yanked her hand from my grip. "Fuck you," she snarled as she grabbed her bag and stormed out of the room.

I sighed, more in annoyance at her presence rather than her hurt feelings. I looked down at the book she gave me, wondering if I would regret going down this path.

Samantha didn't question why I was asking about the subject. I mean, if anything, she probably thinks it's just for a class.

I opened up to the section I was looking for, my heart instantly searing with pain at what I was reading. "How to sever a mate bond."

I closed the book abruptly, the pain ebbing to a pulse. I couldn't do it. I would just ignore it, like I do every other inconvenience in my life. How hard could it actually be? With the pain I've felt, this would be nothing. I'll just ignore her and those other bastards until I leave this place.

I close my eyes, trying to block out the look she gave me in the woods. Walking away was the hardest thing I have ever done. I swear I could feel her pain through our bond, but I think that was more from my guilt than anything.

I snorted at the thought of feeling guilty. Why should I feel guilty? I didn't ask for this. Neither did she, my mind added unhelpfully.

Harley's POV

I could hear my heart pounding in my chest as I beat my wings faster, trying to outrun my own pulse. I could feel my own throat seizing up as my brain strained to comprehend what just happened.

I slam open the window and climb in ungracefully, tripping over Daxon's gym bag and a pair of Olivia's heels. I straighten myself, looking around the empty dark dorm room to make sure that I was indeed alone. I mean, Olivia is at the party, and Daxon is probably still with...

I rub my hands down my face and exhale heavily. Mate. Maeve is my mate. I should be happy. Hell, I should be fucking ecstatic, and yet, here I am looking as if someone just snapped my wings.

The truth is, I'm relieved. It wasn't for nothing. That kiss we shared wasn't a betrayal. These feelings I've been hiding from her are pointless. Because I can finally tell her. Then, why did I leave?

The look on her face when I told her I couldn't do this, us, makes me absolutely sick. I didn't want to hurt her, but what could I have said?

I didn't plan on sharing my mate with someone else, let alone, three other guys. I'm a strict monogamous kind of guy, is that such a bad thing? It already infuriated me when I heard she's been hooking up with both Colt and Daxon. Now for it to be confirmed that they are her equal, my equal, it's just too much.

I glance up at her bunk and see her bed still made up from the day prior. Where did she go yesterday? And why did she not respond to my messages?

I suddenly felt sick for leaving her behind. How did I go from worrying about her feelings to crushing them so quickly?

I wanted to go back, wrap her up in my arms, and take her away from this place. But I can't. Because no matter how much I wish to ignore it, she cares about the other three. I know she wouldn't leave them behind.

I sigh, walking towards my own bunk bed and hopping up. I run my fingertips along the wall, using my magic to brush against the small crease hidden by my pillow. I pull along the creased edge, using my magic to drag effortlessly. Inside the small hole, lay a small pouch.

I could feel my pulse beating against my head as I rested the pouch in the palm of my hand. I knew what lay inside. Knew what it was meant for. The only present my bastard parents ever gave me. And yet, I leave the bag untouched, replacing it back into its hole, and sealing it back up.

Maeve's POV

I made my way through the dense forest, following the sound of laughter and music. I could already feel my tears dry up, the only remaining evidence that could be seen was in the redness of my eyes. But I could just easily pass that off as being high.

"Maeve!" I heard my name being called, making me squeeze my eyes shut. "Hey!" But it wasn't the voice of one of my ma...it was just Jesper.

I turn towards his voice, spotting a group of people sitting around a campfire right on the outskirts of the party. I make my way towards them, most people not paying me any attention, others eyeing me up and down, but in a more appreciative way.

"Hey, where have you been lately?" I asked in a tone I knew sounded hollow. I glanced over, seeing his arm wrapped around another shifter's shoulders. That must be AJ then.

He cringed. "With my pack back at home. My mother just had a fourth pup."

I felt my lips try and form a smile. "Well, congratulations."

"Thanks, but it's not my dad's kid," he responded with a frown before shaking his head. "Anyways, come sit down. You look like you could use something to take your mind off things."

I raised a brow, "Do I really look that bad?" I asked, although I was gratefully taking a seat.

"You know you always look good. You're just looking..." His words trailed off as he searched my face intently. "Lost."

I sighed, watching closely as the people around us relaxed into a state of calm, some smiling, others completely blank. I looked to where AJ was putting some sort of powdery substance on the table.

"Is that coke?" I asked bluntly.

Jesper chuckled, shaking his head. "No, it's hellfire." He must have seen the skeptical look on my face before he continued. "It's just a magic-infused powder, it's not as bad as it sounds."

I watched as AJ bent over and instead of snorting the powder, he licked it clean off his thumb. His demeanor immediately changed from rigid and tense to calm and carefree.

Jesper was already putting some in his mouth before he glanced over at me. "You can have some, or don't. But please don't go wandering off into the woods this late. You never know what could be out there."

I was about to ask him what he meant before his own eyes lit up hazily, while my own mind involuntarily wandered back to the guys. I wanted the heart-wrenching moment out of my head, but instead, it kept playing on a loop. I could feel tears starting to build before threatening to fall.

My gaze landed on the powder, still sitting in small bags on the makeshift table. I've never tried anything stronger than weed, besides those mushrooms, I accidentally ate in my wolf form.

I wanted to feel something, or maybe nothing, I don't know. All I do know though is that I would gladly do anything to not feel this pain-searing heat in my chest. I leaned forward, grabbing my own small bag.

I licked my finger, pressing into the powder before bringing it to my nose to smell. I didn't doubt Jesper when he said it was safe, but I wanted to make sure there were no toxins I could detect.

I brought my finger to my lips and was instantly greeted by a pure blinding light. Not like the light you'd expect to see when dying, or the kind when a pair of headlights blind you. No, this was the kind of magic that felt like angels were touching you, blessing you.

My mind went fuzzy, not blank. No, my thoughts were still my thoughts, I was just...happy. Not empty, but full of life. I felt a smile stretch across my face as my eyes landed on the stars above.

I could make out constellations in the sky. My eyes tracking every movement, every detail. However, it didn't take long for my mind to make connections. Like the ones where those same stars reminded me of the vast expanse of freckles that lay across Daxon's cheeks and nose. Or the fact that every shape of a bird in the night sky looked like Harley's black wings.

I dipped another finger in the bag, bringing it to my lips, and licking it clean. My body warmed with magic, the feeling caressing me in the gentlest embrace. I smiled, exhaling every bad moment that has occurred in the past few days.

I watched the people around me, so happy, so laid back, and so not me. I wish I could be that carefree, have my guard down that much. And I could, I am. At this moment, I felt the weight of the world lift off my shoulders.

I don't even remember standing up and walking off, but soon I'm edging towards the section of the woods that I knew I really shouldn't be headed.

Caspian's POV

I watch, heartbroken, as Maeve turns around and walks away, tears tracking down her beautiful face. I exhale unevenly and turn to Daxon's own heartbroken face.

"So that was your plan?" I ask, anger burning through me, although I knew he didn't mean for any of this to happen.

Daxon cleared his throat, hand going to his chest. "I thought...I thought she would be happy. I thought that she would understand, but I..."

I ran my fingers through my hair, feeling lost, so lost. "I told you she might freak out. I told you so many weeks ago that we should have told her, and now she can't even stand to look at us. Like we're liars."

Daxon stilled before turning around and punching the base of a tree. "Fuck!"

I moved after the second time his fist made contact with bark, pulling him back by the shoulders and turning him around.

A tear slipped down from the corner of Daxon's eye. "I fucked up, Cas," his voice sounded so broken.

I put both hands on the side of his face and leaned my forehead against his. "It's going to be okay."

The thing about me and Daxon is that we're inseparable. He's my best friend, as I am his. Sure, we've kissed in front of Maeve, or have a bond closer than most guys, but in the end, we'll always be family.

"How do you know? What if she never talks to us again?" Daxon inhales a shattered breath. "What if she tries to break the bond?"

I pulled him in for a hug, my slightly taller frame engulfing his. "She won't, you know her. She hasn't been herself these past couple of days, she'll come around. Don't worry."

But the truth is, I don't know if she will. Because in reality, we don't know much about Maeve, only what she wants us to see. And yes, I may be lying to Daxon, but only to stop his heart from breaking, stop his thoughts from tumbling into a firestorm.

"Go back to your dorm room. I'll keep an eye on her out here," I said, wiping the tear that was lingering on Daxon's freckled cheek.

He exhaled shakily before nodding. "I love you man," he murmurs before clapping me on the back and stalking off through the trees.

I wait another minute, letting the quietness of the night wash over me, while my thoughts tumbled to dangerous territory. I shake my head, dislodging all of the negative energy building up inside of me.

I turn, heading back to find Maeve. I don't think she would have left the party. I mean, where would she have gone? No doubt Daxon would be there, and Harley, hell, I don't know a single thing about him. Would he actually think about it? Pursuing her, with us in tow?

Although I don't enjoy the company of Colt, and quite frankly, he scares the fuck out of me, I know Maeve feels something for the cold-blooded bastard. But I honestly don't see him coming around anytime soon, and that breaks my heart for Maeve.

I walk towards the outskirts of the party, looking through the brush as my eyes search for a head full of silver hair. I was about to take another step before a tugging sensation pulled me in the opposite direction. I couldn't explain the urge that I felt to go this way or even why. But deep down I knew, Maeve was this way.

My heart quickened as I pushed my way through the hanging limbs, hitting my head more than once in the process. I broke my way through the trees, finding her standing in front of a cleared-out area, one made by man, not nature.

Her back was to me as she gazed up at the sky. "It's beautiful isn't it?" She whispered, watching the stars with a wistful expression.

"It is," I said, although I never took my eyes off of her.

She turned towards me, her expression calm, but I could see a turmoil of emotion underneath. "You found me."

I nodded, stepping closer to her. I didn't like where we were. I wasn't an idiot. This is obviously where that freaky cult does its rituals. "I did."

She swayed on her feet, her eyes were cloudy with what? I don't know. She leaned against a tree for support as her eyes drifted closed, trying to stay open.

I cursed, closing the distance between us as I picked her up, letting her head rest against my chest. "It's going to be okay, shortcake," I whispered into her hair.

"I'm just so tired," she murmured, "so tired...of everything."

I didn't like the sound of that. The loneliness, the desperation in her voice. I held her closer to me, not willing to let go. I walked back at a brisk pace, heading towards my dorm room. I glanced at the door where I knew Daxon was probably pacing behind, worried out of his damn mind.

I sit Maeve down onto my bed, taking her shoes off before pulling a blanket over her exposed skin. I thought about changing her into some warmer clothes, but I instantly retracted from that thought. I didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable when she woke up.

I sent a text to Daxon, telling him that she was safe with me and to quit pacing. I swear I could hear him from here.

"Why didn't you tell me?" A soft voice spoke, making me turn to look down at the silver-haired beauty spread out across my bed.

I gulped. "How could I? Daxon found out by...Well, that's his story to tell, not mine. But I knew it would be better if we just remained friends."

Her eyes were still sleepy, dazed, but she pushed out the words as if they physically pained her. "That's why you didn't want to kiss me. I thought you just didn't like me like that."

I blew out a breath. "It killed me not to kiss you, to let you be with me the same way you were with Daxon. I wanted to, but I was afraid of what might happen. But it looks like you already hate me anyway," I said, slumping down onto the edge of the bed.

"Cas?" she asked breathlessly, motioning for me to get under the blanket with her.

I gave her a small smile, pulling the covers back and joining her. Her warm skin pressed against mine as she looked at me through hazy eyes. I shouldn't have climbed in the bed with her, she's obviously wasted and would probably regret even coming up here with me by the morning.

"I'm sorry, shortcake. You have to believe me when I say I didn't want any of this to happen. And if you don't want to be with me," I gulped, the words feeling like sharp knives as they come out of me. "Then I'll be fine. If that's what you want."

I was laying on my side, a mirror image of her position. Her gaze was searching mine before she lifted her hand and touched my hair, making me purr at the contact.

"I do want you. I did since I first saw you in the headmaster's office," she said before leaning in and giving me a quick but gentle kiss. Her eyes held mine. "I just don't know what to do about the others," her voice cracked, her eyes filling up with tears. And fuck, it killed me.

I held her head against my chest, her small frame fitting against mine as I whispered sweet nothings into her hair. I held her until her breathing evened out, drifting off to sleep. I held her until I could hear soft snores escaping her parted lips. I held her until my own eyes drifted shut, lost in the feeling of her body against mine, lost in the knowledge that she's mine and that I'll never let her go.

You all were starting to like Colt a little too much so I had to change things up a bit. I'm hoping everyone is having mixed feelings when it comes to the guys. I'm very excited for everyone to see a little more of Caspian since I have been purposefully not elaborating on him as much as the others.

Question: If I rewrote "Three Mates & A Tribrid" and made it much longer with extra bonus content and background information would you all read it again? I think I may eventually rewrite the book and keep it on Wattpad and Inkitt for a little longer before publishing it. Your girl needs to start making some money and I'm feeling much more confident in my writing abilities now. Don't worry though, this would be far in the future before I take anything down on here.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.5M 129K 33
I sighed, walking towards him. "Look, big man. I know who you are and I'm really sorry for what I'm about to do." I said before leaning in and kissin...
2.6K 124 16
Tribrid Series- Book 2 ********************************************* The Blood moon eclipses had bought more tragedy to Alexandrea's life than she co...
9K 360 21
Welcome back! If you haven't read My Sister's Boyfriend, GO BACK (but not before following and adding this to your library) and CATCH UP! Wyd?!? ***...
1.2M 15.4K 50
Attention: NOT FOR GRAMMAR FREAKS, I REPEAT, NOT FOR GRAMMAR FREAKS or people who likes to correct mistakes. Sorry but it just ruins my fun to write...