The Unpredictable Fire Advent...

By MizzGinger

He was supposed to be the Fire Nation's prince. You were supposed to be the Fire Nation's top student. Having... More

『at first sight
『another life
『a canyon to conquer [1]
『a canyon to conquer [2]
『a canyon to conquer [3]
『a legacy
『a bump in the road
『a merry trip down the river and into sea
『a tumultuous greeting
『a boy following traditions
『alone in thought
『a moment of solace
『a devastated sacred ground [1]
『a devastated sacred ground [2]
『another bump in the road
『at long last
『and up the mountain
『around the temple
『and down the mountain
『an apparent divide
『an ode to knowledge
『a long way home
『a diplomat, a prince, a prince, and a queen
『a tourist hot spot
『an awkward date [1]
『an awkward date [2]
『an awkward date [2.5]
『an awkward date [3]
『a miscalculation of epic proportions
『agonizing realizations
『a truth unspoken
『a tale of Tonraq
『a tale of Haku
『a tale of Iroh
『a tale of you
『a-plus planning
『a timely rescue [1]
『a timely rescue [2]
『a timely rescue [3]
『a timely rescue [4]
『a tea shop
『affronted by his omission
『a wise uncle
『a deadly pass
『a deadlier ally
『a deadlier ally [2]
『a cave filled with love
『an outspoken boy
『a tough wall to crack
『a date in Omashu!
『a lost soul
『a behavioral problem
『a bargain
『a daisy in the snow
『a plan for the future [1]
『a plan for the future [2]
『appealing to the masses WITH PAMPHLETS!
『an eternal necklace
『agreeable relations
『against their fathers' wishes [1]
『against their fathers' wishes [2]
『animosity between brothers
『a grand festival [1]
『a grand festival [2]
『a lethal ideal
『a burning tower
『 a looming threat
『a determined group
『 a faulty escape plan
『a burden greater than man himself
『a burden greater than this idiot
『a mix up in sleeping arrangements
『ah she's a fighter
『a very accurate play?
『a prince's return
『a group forever
『despite our best efforts
『very still is the world
『even through all the hardships
『new love, old love
『they lurk in the shadows
『united we stand
『ushered deeper into the abyss
『until we meet again
『unknown and alone
『utterly lost
『rendered to adapt
『remember us, remember our promise
『experience this love
『ever after
『salve for the wounds
『friends or foes
『oven-baked plan
『ren, the first
『evaluate and execute
『venture into the wind
『enter and discover

『unacquired justice

1.1K 59 23
By MizzGinger

A/N: I hope you don't freak out too much over the large time skip.. Still trying to follow the canon somewhat. These next few chapters takes place before, during, and after season 4 of TLoK. Don't worry, I'll add little stamps of which episode these scenes take so you can go back and watch if you need a refresher.  ANYWAYS, this is a short chapter but the next one is going to be much longer and more emotional, I might post it at the end of this month to compensate the length of this chapter but the editing for it is taking longer than usual. I'm gonna shut up now so you can start reading, unless you skipped this then lmao

[x]

[Twelve Years Later]

The clock's methodical clicks announces each second that passes and lulls Republic City's General into a haze as he recalls his dream from last night. Familiar tresses blanketed his vision, your face smiling gently at him. You were speaking to him about several different topics in your usual animated way. Not once did he cease to be enthralled by your chatter; not once did he cease to be in love with you; not once has he forgotten you.

Iroh's daydream of you dissipates at the raptures against his door. Golden hues watch carefully as his assistant opens the door for his friend. "Haku, to what do I owe the pleasure?"

Haku thanks the assistant before closing the door. "Would you believe me if I said that I am hiding?"

A chuckle rumbles out the General's mouth. "A twelve year old, an eight year old, and now twins. I can't blame you for feeling crazy."

Haku cannot help but laugh along. "It certainly is tumultuous, but now with my father's retirement, he enjoys spending time with the grandchildren."

"Oh, that's right. Councilman Haku!"

"Hush, that title is basically nothing with the President in power."

"You still have some authority." Iroh gazes down at his desk which is littered with requests and forms. All must be completed by the end of the week yet he finds distaste in paperwork and decides to procrastinate on them.

"Hardly. I actually came here to speak upon two different matters." Haku follows his friend's gaze and clenches his teeth. "There's an odd thing going on in the Earth Kingdom. Rumor has it that a woman is uniting many cities and villages under her banner."

"Yes, I have intel on it... Her name is Kuvira and we are monitoring the situation. However, President Reiko has me on a short leash at the moment. He's frustrated with the spirit vines infiltrating the city and the ongoing disruption in day-to-day matters... He's also aware of my allegiance to the Avatar."

"I see. I never thought I'd see Iroh on a short leash."

Iroh scoffs, "Well, there you have it."

"Amazing."

"What's the other thing?"

"Well, I'm not done with the first." Haku smiles sheepishly. "Actually, I suppose there isn't much you can do if you say that President Reiko has you stationed here."

"I'm patrolling since he wants to keep Republic City protected. Anything outside of the city holds little value to him. If you were asking for me to help stop Kuvira, I can't until she sets her sights on the city."

A small pout forms on Haku's lips. "I understand. I sure do miss the days of our adventures--"

His lips seal at the mention of the past while eyeing his friend with sympathy. Iroh understands his apprehension and shakes his head. "It's fine. I too am quite fond of the past."

"Yeah, those were the days. Just wandering around with no ties to anyone. We can fight who we wanted and argue with whoever. Titles didn't matter. Life was... simpler."

Iroh's features soften, "Simple and happy."

"Iroh..." Haku cannot meet his friend's eyes when he speaks on the next topic. "Have you been dreaming of her lately?"

The question lands straight through his heart and he jumps slightly in his chair. "How did you know?"

Haku finally looks at him with a guilty look. "I too have been seeing her in my dreams."

A frown mars Iroh's features. "Haku, you're married. What are you doing having dreams of another woman?"

"WHA-- NO! Not dirty dreams!" Haku sputters out.

Iroh chuckles wholeheartedly at his friend's embarrassed state. "Hahaha, I'm joking! So why are you dreaming of [Name]?"

"That's what I'm trying to figure out. Ever since Korra opened the Spirit Portals, I feel like I've been visited by her," Haku explains lowly. "Not every night, but she appears a lot. Then when the Red Lotus returned, she disappeared."

"She visited me yesterday," Iroh admits, "but it's just a dream. I'm not delusional enough to think she can truly visit me in my dreams."

Haku shrugs, "I don't know. With the spirit portals open, it feels as if many impossibilities are happening."

"Haku." Iroh's voice comes out stern yet broken. "If you want to allude to something, just please don't give me false hope."

"B-But, Iroh! That's the only other place where she could be!" Haku exclaims. "Her disappearance would make sense! She was last seen near the Northern portal. Maybe we can ask Korra to help?!"

"No, Korra has gone through enough," Iroh frowns. "She keeps enduring traumatizing moments, and you can see the effect its had on Tonraq. She still doesn't remember [Name] either, so we can't add another trauma to her memories."

Haku appears shaken by his friend's staunch opposition. "Iroh... Why aren't you trying?"

"I am," Iroh groans. "I just know that false hope will only hurt me, and I can't let my selfish desires break this girl. When I first saw Korra after twelve years, I realized that everything [Name] did to keep her safe is now on me. She risked her life to save Korra, and I need to do the same."

"But she's old enough now. She can help," Haku presses.

"No." Iroh's voice shakes with emotion. "No... I have been nearly helpless in all of Korra's battles. I won't be the one to force her to remember the bad memories."

Haku stands abruptly. "You're being a coward!"

"I'm being objectively responsible!" Iroh slams his fist against his desk. "I have worked tirelessly day and night fighting. I fight to protect those around me, I fight to protect the cities and countries that need it. But the fights that matter most, I have lost. I won't... allow you to hurt Korra. [Name] would never allow that either."

"... Iroh."

"If you're convinced, ask Tonraq."

"You still haven't spoken to him?" Haku questions softly yet he knows the answer. He recalls the day of their falling out. Both were yelling in the hallway, saying awful things to each other until no words could patch the bridge they broke.

Iroh was devastated and so was Tonraq. Yet in the end, the person who Tonraq desperately needed safe still lives. Iroh just kept to himself and dedicated his life to military service.

"I can't even keep his daughter safe. What makes you think he'd want to talk to me?"

"But you have! Korra will always call you an ally," Haku gasps. "I'm sure Tonraq thinks the same as well."

It takes Iroh several moments to accept the generous words, paving a grin over his face. "... Thank you, Haku."

[__]

Darkness once more morphs into an ethereal landscape. The area dances with vibrant colors with the grass greener than that of the city, the sky redder than the sunset in Ba Sing Se, and the air crisper than that of the air temples. He understands that it's all a dream, but it still caresses his senses into comfort. 

He glances beside him and there you are, in your sixteen year old form. He spots the lack of muscles on his body and can only assume that he too possesses his teenage body. The noise of an unrecognizable bird chirping is the only sound to grace his hearing as you remain silent, poking at the grass beneath you with a stick. Your back rests against the wide trunk of a tree as does his; it's the same forest he frequents in his dreams that involve you.

"As I was telling you earlier," you say, "I really think that you need to face Mel and provide her closure. It's not fair to give hope and make her wait around for you."

Iroh tries to speak in his defense but just like all the other dreams, he's muted in agony. All he can do is listen and watch your every movement. 

At first these dreams felt like torture. Every attempt to touch you had gone through your body as if you possess a incorporeal form. His nose also couldn't detect any scent from you. He'd wake up shaking and in tears, but now, he has accepted them as blessings. A moment of reprieve in the midst of his troubles. You were always someone that could bring him back to his true human self-- without the titles, without the responsibilities, and without all the extra baggage of the world.

He as Iroh the second. Someone full of spirited vigor and genuine love for adventure. One loyal to those who he holds dear. That's what you always brought out of him even in his dreams.

"...before it's too late to settle down." Iroh stares up at the sky, enjoying the breeze and the sounds of your chattering. "I mean, she is also partly to blame for her delusions. Sometimes you can't reason with crazy. By the way, I went to the library earlier and borrowed a few books. Did I tell you the librarian is an owl? How neat is that!"

"You and your adventures in the library," Iroh hums to himself. "Remember when you picked up that stray?"

"I hope you aren't talking about Lee."

Iroh chuckles, "Don't tell me you want to defend him after that disastrous date."

"It was YOUR fault that it became a disaster. Haku told me all about your plan to ruin it."

Again, he laughs but it dies down quick at his realization. You two were conversing?! He's tried so many times to speak, but why is this dream allowing his words to spring forth?

He whips his head around to spot your smiling expression. True joy paints your lips and you inch closer to him. "Seems like you finally got used to your dream-body."

Confusion strikes at him and suddenly the environment around him warps into its true form. Pale grey skies now blanket his vision as the ground beneath him turns hard and damp. He stands up to ascertain the change around him, watching as it all morphs in a darker shade. 

Your appearance also changes to your actual age as does his. He wants to pounce forward to embrace you but you begin drifting away from him. As his arms reach out for your touch, his mind races with questions.

"Where are we?" 

You shake your head, "I cannot tell you."

"But you're alive, right?" 

You glance down at the floor. "I also cannot say."

"[Name]..." Iroh walks forward but you take a step backwards. The ground begins to rumble, signaling the end of his dream and his moment with you. "I'll find you."

You tilt your head as a sad smile stretches your lips. "Will you?"

"I promise." The tumults become more violent, causing Iroh to begin running towards you with his shaky exclamations. "I PROMISE. I promise! You'll be found, and we're going to be together forever!"

Your lips quiver with emotion at his proclamation. As much as you trust logic to be your guide, you cannot help but fall prey to his promises. "Okay, I'll hold you to it."

"I... I LOVE Y--"

Iroh gasps and sits up from his bed, gasping for air. It's as if he's forgotten to breath in the human world. In an instant, tears pour down his face and he begins to heave out his cries. 

Alone and broken, Iroh remembers his pledge to you, suffocating all his depressive thoughts. Instead, determination fills him and he rushes for the library to start his research on the Spirit World.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

747K 19.1K 54
❝ oh 𝓛𝓸𝓿𝓮.... You make such fools of us all ❞ .✫*゚・゚。.☆.*。・゚✫*. .✫*゚・゚。.☆.*。・゚✫*. .✫*゚・゚。.☆.*。・゚✫*. (Y/N) grew up as an aristocratic noble who...
13.2K 186 23
After he broke her heart, Y/N only hoped to forget about Prince Zuko. But after a chance encounter in the hustle and bustle of Ba Sing Se, she finds...
3.3K 105 15
Naoki is a fire bender who escaped the fire nation to find her friend, Zuko. When they reunite they both travel across the world to find the Avatar...
36.1K 819 12
Y/N Seang, a noble girl daughter to one of the most important clan in the Fire Nation, is a girl who grew up learning the way of fire. As the people...