5. Dolls

Published on:
Sat, 6 Feb.
The year 2021

Chapter 5|Dolls

Hooves pushed over the rocky path as the cart moved forward, bumping all over the rough terrain. Mikasa sat by the window, shedding tears, holding Pico in her lap.

Eren watched her out of the corner of his eye, guilt already spreading like venom in his chest. He shouldn't have yelled at her like that. For once, he felt as if demons were jumping inside his mischievous head screaming false thoughts about her when she's just a helpless girl looking for her lost mother.

What could have happened if his father hadn't interrupted them? Hell, he was grateful he did it. The dark-haired boy sighed as he rolled his eyes. He knew he had to fix this. His hand tilted her face toward his and wiped away her tears, "Stop crying. We will never stop looking for your mother. We'll keep moving forward. You know why? Because no matter what, there's always hope." she bore into his soft emerald eyes. "Always a new beginning." Allured by the look in his eyes. "Always a way back home. Yeah?" she nodded. That wasn't the Eren she saw a few minutes ago, that was the sweetest side she'd seen of him since they'd met.

Grisha noticed Eren's intimate gestures towards Mikasa and recalled how he quoted Carla's words at his grandma's funeral. A smile arched through his lips. He never thought his son had a soft spot for girls or that he'd ever treat them kindly in any way. He had always taught him to be firm, harsh, rough like a stone, preparing him for future recruitment in the army.

Grisha has never spoken of women or girls as though they are delicate and fragile beings but rather remorseless, unforgiving monsters who wouldn't hesitate to kill, regarding the war they're in. He was astonished how he became this way, Carla might have had a great influence on him, as she is the one who stays with their son the longest, while he barely sees his face whenever he is at home.

Mikasa fell asleep, with her head resting on Eren's shoulder, and as soon as they arrived at their destination, his father carried her to bed, followed by Eren carrying her bag with Pico on it. His mother tucked him and Mikasa in bed, planting a kiss on the children's cheeks. "Sleep tight, you have school tomorrow." She smiled, before closing the door and sucking out the dim light of the room.

Eren lay on his side, slipping his hand under the pillow, taking on the features of Mikasa. His eyes glistened at her thin eyebrows and long lashes, traveling to her small nose and delicate lips. This couldn't be a criminal's face, but why did the soldiers attack them? He couldn't figure that out. The thoughts of the two soldiers crept into his mind. They groped her for no reason, tho. Perhaps there aren't enough reasons why her house was attacked. Either they were just dirty soldiers, too. What are the odds of that, after all? It's not like his people were the purist of the world.

•◦•⊱✿⊰•◦•

The sun glared on the glass window, the rays flickering on the little boy's face as he opened his eyelids. He tilted his head to the side where Mikasa lay. His ears welcomed her soft, muffled snores. Letting out a sigh, he pushed himself onto the mattress to get out of bed when he noticed Mikasa's hand gripping tightly on the fabric of his shirt. Oh, was she scared, again? She's been doing this a lot since that day at camp. He gently untangled her fingers and released her grip when she tore her eyes away. "Oh, you're awake?" "Huh?" She blinked at the view of him rubbing his neck, "Sorry if I woke you up. Well, since you're awake, wash up and hop in for breakfast. You can use the bathroom first, I'll wait." Mikasa blushed at the kindness with which he had treated her since that day. She loved it! And honestly, she could get used to it.