[New!!!] SC02. To Believe In Madness

Published on
Tue, 21 Nov
The Year 2023

A/N: I wrote this chapter while listening to [Their Last, Together by Martin Czerny]. For me, it quite did set the mood for this chapter. If you guys want, I recommend listening to this song on a loop while reading this chapter. Find it on spotify, or any music streaming app of your choice, or download it offline from any 'illegal sites' you find on google. Hit me up if you want instructions.

Special Chapter 02 | To Believe In Madness

Behind Armin, the sand crunched and the grass squished under Eren's heavy steps, leaving a trail of footprints in their wake. They joined their friends who were waiting by the lake, a sight he definitely worked hard to bury at the back of his mind.

A sense of overwhelming guilt weighed heavily on Eren's chest as he forced his legs forward, his gaze fixed on the ground in shame. The weight of everyone's presence loomed over him as he passed by, unable to meet their eyes. How could he? After all, he was the one responsible for all that had happened. It's better off with him gone.

Levi maintained a rigid stance next to Hange, his gaze flitting away the instant Eren came to view. And Levi pretended not to notice, he pretended not to care, hoping to shield himself from the waves of complicated emotions stirring within him. A deep crease etched itself between his brows, his jawline tightened, holding back the seething storm inside. He would just ignore him, ignore him until he walked away.

But to his surprise, Eren didn't ignore his presence. With a slight bow of his head and a somber mutter, Eren acknowledged him. "Captain."

Hange pursed her lips through a faint smile, approving of his respectful gesture.

Levi, on the other hand, remained unmoving, a sliver of guilt stab at his heart at his hushed voice. It was the slight bow of his head that pierced through the walls Levi had built. His mask of indifference cracked ever so subtly by that one simply word and that one simple gesture, though he fought to maintain his stoic façade.

Despite the suffocating silence, a part of Eren hoped for forgiveness. A flicker of vulnerability, hidden beneath self-loathing and guilt, yearned for a sign that maybe, just maybe, Levi could find it in his heart to forgive him.

But Levi didn't share Hange's belief in redemption, at least not yet. His wounds were still fresh, still bleeding and the scars were too raw to heal. A thousands unsaid words danced on the tip of his tongue, questions swirled his troubled mind, yet he kept his gaze fixed ahead, unwilling to engage.

Eren trudged forward with a heavy heart. He can't expect such a gesture from him nor from anyone else, not after the pain and betrayal he had inflicted. If there's anything he deserves, it's this. Exactly this.