3. A New Home

Published on:
Sat, 23 Jan.
The year 2021

Chapter 3|A New Home

Eren's parents gave Mikasa a warm welcome. They made her something to eat, prepared a hot shower for her, and gave her some of Eren's clothes since there were no girls' clothes in the closet. Mikasa came out of the bathroom and stood in the middle of the living room, not knowing where to go or what to do.

Eren's mother gave her a look from the kitchen, then turned to Eren, who was eating his dinner at a small table. "Don't leave your visitor all alone, show her your room, she probably hasn't slept in a while."

He nodded as he took a final spoonful of his pudding and walked toward the little girl standing in his teal pajamas. Oh, not this one, he groaned. Of all the outfits he has, she chose the one he loves the most, why? "Oi, Mikasa."

She turned her face to him. She doesn't look terrible, teal does complement her fair skin, he thought, glancing at her long strands of hair, water stains over her shoulders, and he couldn't help but cringe at the sight. "Come on," he huffed. "I'll show you the bedroom."

She followed him.

The lights kissed the room with warmth and Mikasa's once tensed limbs relaxed, he shoulders dropped as she invited herself in after him.

The room was simple, there were green painted walls rather than matching the outdoor red appearance of all the houses in the district.

A medium-sized bed stood in the corner of the room, oddly enough the sheets also had different color than red, blue. In front of it was the auburn closet, and next to the bed was a small desk with a wooden seat and a wall mirror hung next to the door. Erem looked over at her, she seemed to like the place more than he does.

His mother leaned against the door frame, "I know it's a small bed, but Eren won't mind sharing it with you, right honey?"

He turned, his back to Mikasa. "Not at all," he said before his eyes widened and his lips mouthed a big 'What!' to his mother, who shot him a quick glare while smiling at the girl.

Mr jaeger approached the door, "You kids gonna sleep already?" His wife nodded, resting her head on the door frame, "Mikasa, Where you said you live again?" Carla asked.

"I'm not quite sure, but in this place where everyone wears gray clothes, I guess."  Grisha rubbed his chin, his gaze cast to the floor. "Oh, in those big yellow tents?"

Carla glanced at the little girl curiously, who nodded with a hopeful smile tugging at her face. Poor little thing, don't have a home, too? Her lips curved into soft lingering smile, the one that carries nostalgic grey memories to her deepest core.

"Don't worry, I know this place, it's kind of a community base for travelers." She heard her husband say while observing Mikasa's eyes shining bright. Of course, that's how it started, she thought.

Eren glanced at Mikasa before looking back at his father.

"We'll get there by tomorrow. Now, get some sleep. Carla?" He signaled his wife to close the light and the door.

Eren lit the lampshade filling the room with warm golden light. Both, awkwardly sitting on the bed. "Um, which side do you want to sleep on?"

Mikasa rubbed at her sleeves and moved closer to the wall. "On this side, if you don't mind." He stared. Sometimes it's gets uneasy having to be gentle when it comes to losing his favorite bed spot.

Eren shook his head and pulled the covers, "Put your feet in and lie down," he studied her face. "Are you comfortable? I can sleep on the fl—" "No. I'm fine." She pulled the blanket to her nose.