Fever (Part 2)

Published on:
Tue, 15 Mar.
The year 2022

A/N: I did publish this in the same chapter, but I'm just gonna split the chapter into 3 parts because 18k is way too long to be stuffed in 1 chapter.

Chapter 47|Fever|Part 2

Hands gently swung around, enveloping everyone's heads in air bubbles to let them breathe

Hands gently swung around, enveloping everyone's heads in air bubbles to let them breathe. A strong wave beneath the water carried them further into the depths.

They rode them like horses, only it was horse-shaped water, swirling with the currents of the waves at the speed of seagulls. If Mikasa or Petra lost concentration on their water handling, they would all fly apart, and she could hardly believe that Connie and Ymir would last a second without a breath of oxygen.

They waded through the yellow streaks of kelp forests. Ymir slapped the plants away from her water bubble, all the while crinkling and pulling a face. "Just a little more, guys, we have to endure the pesky plants," came Mikasa's muffled voice under her bubble mask. They frowned for her to give them a break. It was her brilliant idea to swim through the sea grass and weed, since the plants were the only thing they could hide behind from the sirens.

This was a hopeless case mission, just another attempt to steal the stone that, to their knowledge, they had no idea where it was. Each time, they simply wandered off, taking turns between corals and reefs.

Armin's map was no help at all. It was pretty old, with ink spots and scribbles everywhere. Mikasa glanced at Connie, to see him wince over the flimsy piece of paper he held in his hand, then noticed she'd forgotten to make a bubble for it, too. Wiggling her fingers, a bubble inflated around the paper that was so close to turning into shreds.

"Are we in the right direction, compass guy?" teased Sasha, holding on tightly to the force of the water with her air handling. Petra stopped the water current so their feet could land on a large purple coral reef, where red and white seaweed danced gracefully around.

Connie's gaze flitted between the map in his hand and the enormous corals that had been slipping through for quite a time. "I don't know. It all looks same here," he said with a worried face. The place had this heavenly feel, he had never seen such beauty before today, yet something about being lost in the depths made his heart flutter.

"Great, so we might as well have been moving in circles the whole time," Ymir sighed, tapping her foot on the rocky reef.

"Could be," he shrugged, trying to look as calm as possible.

"And where the hell those sirens went? It's like the sea's on vacation. No security, for real? Any minute there could be a shark attack and all the fish would die," she turned to peer more closely around the shimmering green corals.