Fever (Part 3)

Published on:
Tue, 15 Mar.
The year 2022

A/N: If you hadn't read part 2, make sure you do! XO

Chapter 47|Fever|Part 3

The journey to the Temple of the Air was long and tedious, and once they were above the temple, they earthbent directly into it

The temple was cold and deserted, although wooden torches lit every corner, every spacious hall, every room and courtyard. The news of Erwin's loss shook the rest of the soldiers, and they huddled silently in their rooms, continuing the long night with heavy hearts in their chests.

Levi helped Hange into one of the front rooms, while Connie crawled into another with Sasha in her arms. Peick and little Kaya slipped quietly into a room on the other side of the hall.

Eren, Mikasa, and Armin, the three of them, entered the spacious room where the bison stayed. They were followed by Petra and Anni, whose gaze was struck by the tranquility of the place. It seemed like an inner courtyard with curtains of intertwined strands of plants hanging from the white ceiling. Birds chirped and hopped from one thread to another. They flew down to drink from a large fountain set in the center of the hall, and around them stood golden statues of the former Air Monks.

Armin jumped on top of his bison's head, burrowing his broad arms into its fur. It had been so long since he had last seen him. Since Coco couldn't fit underground, he had to fly back and forth from the temple to the forest whenever Armin needed to fly in the sky or when he missed him.

They all sat down on the white cold ceramic steps surrounding the large fountain. Mikasa sat down next to Armin. She pressed her back against Coco's fur, staring with heavy eyes at the spacious ceiling. Eren, Annie and Petra sat on the steps of the fountain. All of them had misty expressions on their faces.

The murmurs of Levi calming Hange with gentle words hung in the air and rang across the hall. The 'It'll be okay, Hange.' The 'We'll go through this, Hange.' And the 'We'll do it for Erwin.' 'You have to stay strong.' And words of sort repeated over and over again.

But all their ears had managed to hear was the 'I promise' after each and every soft murmur escaped their captain's lips. They could still hear her sobbing in spite of all his attempts to soothe her.

Petra ran her fingers over the water in the fountain. She imagined Hange in Levi's arms. His fingers delving into her brown curls. His soft whisper in her ears. It was devastating, the thought of him showering kisses on Hange's face to soothe her... He wouldn't do that. She wasn't supposed to think that way. Hange had just lost her man. She is grieving. But she cannot help her mind create its own false scenarios.

Meanwhile, Mikasa sank into her thoughts, remembering how Sasha gasped after they had all lost hope. How Petra slouched down and Ymir fell to her knees upon hearing Sasha's inaudible mumblings. To the way Connie crawled up to Sasha, pressed a kiss to her forehead and cried with relief, whispering, "Thank you. Oh, God, thank you, thank you...