Chapter 8

"I, Velia Fay of House Haven challenge Prince Maven of House Calore."

A small and pale blonde girl stared Maven down cooly.

Kaida noted she was wearing a sleek skintight training garment.

The name Haven tugged at her memories.

Suddenly, it struck her, as she remembered the page of all the Houses and all their abilities.

Members of House Haven had the power of invisibility.

Kaida's eyes studied the girl with keen interest.

"I accept."

Maven cracked his knuckles and stretched out elegantly into a fighting stance, legs slightly apart.

He looked focused, and feline-like.

His usual military jacket was looser, sleeves rolled up as he stretched out his arms, the veins straining against their muscled exterior.

A few of his top buttons were undone.

Velia smirked as she began to sprint towards him, and in the blink of an eye, she had vanished completely.

Straight into thin air.

Kaida let out a small gasp.

Maven's eyes darted around him. He was slightly disorientated, hearing Velia whisper and taunt him from all angles.

Before he could even light a fire in his hand, he was struck from the left by a hard blow.

He staggered back in a daze, as mercury blood began to spill from his split lip.

He wiped it away quickly.

He began to retreat backwards, when a precise kick met the back of his leg, making him buckle, as he fell to one knee.

Maven let out a frustrated huff.

The other Silvers began to murmur amongst themselves.

'Come on Maven, what's the plan here?'

Kaida whispered to herself, trying to anticipate Velia's next move.

It was impossible.

The opponent might aswell have been a ghost, an imperceptible foe.

Finally, Maven's bracelet went off and a spark ignited into a full crackling fireball that swirled up his arms.

He began to set the floor around him alight, creating sweeping arcs of fire that blackened the arena floor.

It was a confusing play, but as soon as the ash covered the floor, his plan became clear.

All he had to do now was wait for the ash to shift, and he would know Velia's exact position.

Seconds went by.

Maven's eyes became serpentine, all his senses on high alert.

There!

A slight footprint in the sooty floor. He had her.

He began to attack relentlessly, landing fiery blows and letting out quick bursts of fire when he sensed she retreated.

He was precise and sleek, skilled and observant, finding his rhythm.

But Velia would not go down without a fight, it wasn't the Silver way.

She would appear and disappear, randomly attacking.

However, it was too late. Maven had already figured her out.