Chapter 6

"M-Maven?"

Kaida quickly remembered her manners and dipped low.

"Prince Maven."

"There is no need for such formalities tonight."

He strode to the space next to her, breathing in the salty air.

Kaida eyed him from her peripheral.

She wasn't in a talkative mood tonight and turned her attention back to the dark expanse in front of her.

She could no longer see where the horizon began, it was all black.

The dark waves rocking and crashing.

After a moment, Maven's voice cut through the silence.

"Kaida."

"You remember me?"

Maven looked at her, the words 'I couldn't forget you' crossed his mind.

"Yes, I do. Exactly one week ago, you moved in. How are you finding it?"

Kaida noticed his tone, it was off slightly, like he could see through it.

Like he knew the Palace was nothing more than a glass prison.

"It's...fine."

"You don't have to lie to me. It's lonely isn't it? Not as vibrant as advertised. I understand."

"You do?"

Kaida turned her head slightly.

"Absolutely. I grew up here, after all. People see you, but they don't really see you. You're nothing more than an afterthought. A silent player in a never ending game. That's court for you."

Kaida was officially intrigued, she was seeing into the Prince's world, through his eyes.

He said the word 'you' but he was really talking about himself.

"So, court is like a game? I haven't seen it, I haven't seen anything, to be honest. I'm confined up here in the West Wing, kept away from all the drama. You're the first Silver I've properly conversed with."

"Oh don't worry. You're just another pawn, another piece in the puzzle. You'll soon learn, anyone can betray anyone. It's better that you're kept out of it. You want my advice? Stay away."

Kaida wasn't expecting this sort of candidness from the Prince, of all people.

He was so different to his brother, more of a cynic.

She fully turned herself to look at him, taking in every detail.

He watched her back, with interest.

"You have a very pessimistic outlook on life, although I can't say it's very original. My situation resonates with you. I'm the forgotten Red girl,  you're the forgotten brother. Equally as capable but always overlooked. The shadow behind the flame. It's not a new concept. Thor and Loki, Cain and Abel. It's been done before, it's almost cliché."

Kaida found her voice, shifting the spotlight entirely onto Maven.

He raised his brows in absolute disbelief, shocked by her sudden revelation.

His whole world broken down by only a few of her words.

"Ah, I didn't know I was talking to a psychoanalyst. Also, cliché? I'm not the one brooding intensely while staring at the South Sea in the middle of the night. Tad dramatic isn't it?"

He rolled his eyes, the pale blue disappearing for just a second.

Sarcasm dripping off his voice.