Chapter 16

"You cannot be serious."

The man scoffed.

There was no recognition in Kaida's eyes.

"Oh. You're really not joking. I can't believe Maven brought an uncultured Red harlot to the Ball."

Kaida's face screwed up.

There was no way he was talking about her.

An uncultured Red harlot.

"I mean, he has always been a bit of a wild one, a bit of dark horse, but this... takes balls."

He took a very menacing step towards Kaida.

She took a step back.

Wait, had he been following her?

"I am Baron James Earl Rhambos. The Second."

Kaida blinked vacantly.

The only thing she recognised was his surname.

Members of House Rhambos had superhuman strength.

Baron Rhambos had clearly been expecting some acknowledgment, a lightbulb moment, but Kaida gave him nothing.

It infuriated him deeply.

"Well, he's certainly dressed you up nicely, almost had me fooled you were a noble."

The Baron's eyes raked over her lasciviously, not hiding his lust.

It sickened Kaida.

All the alarm bells were ringing in her head. She needed to get back, immediately.

Kaida went to move past the Baron but she felt an iron grip on her arm.

The Baron's skin was cold against hers.

It felt unnatural.

"Go on then, indulge me. How much did he pay for you? A fine price, I'd imagine. Whatever the sum, I can double it, triple it even."

Kaida snatched her arm back.

"What? He didn't pay for me!"

She spat harshly, going to press her arm. That hurt.

"Ah, that is very cheeky of him. He's using you, for free! What are you even there for? His title? Nevermind that, girl. I can take proper good care of you."

Kaida felt bile rising in her throat.

This cannot be happening, she absolutely refused to entertain this.

She went to storm past him, ignoring his words, and her ponytail flicked out.

The Baron couldn't deal with the rejection.

He refused to let her leave.

Within a split second, he had grabbed at the root of her ponytail, dragging Kaida back.

Her head was bent back at an unnatural angle.

From this proximity she could smell the vodka he had been drinking all night

"Baron. James. Earl. Whoever the hell you are, and to be honest, I couldn't care less. You are absolutely pathetic. You are a degenerate, and a drunkard who has to pay for a woman's company because no sane woman would ever want to be with a man as rotten as you."

The Baron flared his nostrils.

His hand wrapping tighter around Kaida's hair, pulling it, while also emphasising the control he had over her, in that moment.