Chapter 26

The aftermath of the King's murder was turbulent.

The people mourned, however, a few Reds cursed his name in silence.

He never did anything for them.

But either way, they condemned Cal. The traitorous Prince.

Whispers of his betrayal spread through the Kingdoms like ashes in the wind.

He couldn't wait for the throne. Mareena Titanos was his Lady Macbeth. He ran away, the cowardly boy.

Maven had just returned from the crypts, where a procession was held for the fallen King.

Tiberius had been laid to rest next to Coriane.

A statue had been erected of his likeness.

Maven did not want to meet the glazed, stone eyes, in fear he might see his father's disappointment, again.

Or worse, he might see himself, wallowing in guilt.

Maven placed a hand on his father's plaque, remembering the last words to him.

"Maven, my son, I have always loved you..."

Their relationship had been strained, to say the least, but Maven never wanted this.

Maven looked at the floor, then sighed.

He had to be strong now. He papered over the cracks, pulling himself together.

————————————-

Maven was sat in his study, arms folded and face blank.

He looked up at the portrait of her. He recently got it installed, in place of his own.

The brown of her eyes were deep, and her skin glowed.

The painting of Kaida was dressed traditionally, in the red and black of House Calore.

Each stroke of the brush had captured her intensity, her radiance. She stood tall and proud.

"Where is she?"

Maven's voice was soft.

"The footage shows she was in the hallway. There was a blind spot. She was pulled into a room...which she never emerged from. My Prin-"

The advisor cleared his throat, and corrected himself.

"My King. That is all we have."

Maven's eyes unfocused. He stared at the chair behind the advisor.

On a day like this, it would normally have been occupied by Kaida.

He saw her, curled up with a book in her lap, giving him one of her shy smiles.

Maven blinked, snapping out of it.

He dismissed the advisor with a wave.

They took her. Elias took her.

Maven instinctively clenched a fist at the thought of the blacksmith.

"But why?"

Maven looked up at the direction of the voice that had cut through his thoughts.

It was Elara, clad to head to toe in black. A black veil was shifted back to reveal her face.

She had just been in his head, much to Maven's chagrin.

"I didn't mean to do that. But there is something you're not telling me, Maven."

Elara glided further in, standing to the side, by the window.