Chapter 7

It has been almost two weeks since Maven had met Kaida, after that he had become so busy.

His princely duties encompassing all of his time.

He was focused, serious in his tasks, but his mind often drifted to her.

Her eyes, her smile, her voice...

Whenever they could, they shared fleeting glances, a touch on her arm, a smile thrown his way but they could never stop and talk.

In passing, Maven would throw her a "You alright?" and she would nod as he continued on in his direction.

These little interactions were becoming even more precious to Kaida, something unspoken growing between them.

Tonight was a rare free night for the Prince.

He had been summoned to the arena tomorrow, along with a dozen other Silver nobles.

His schedule permitted he rested before that.

He tried to convince himself that he was strolling to the West Wing for no other reason than to stretch his legs and watch the sea.

He was a liar.

He spotted the familiar figure staring out at the tranquil ocean.

"Let me guess, you've been coming back here every night, waiting for my return."

Kaida spun around, and her smile was so bright that a dimple appeared on her right cheek.

Maven blinked.

He was so sure no one had ever greeted him this way.

No one had ever been so happy to see him.

He blinked again, slightly startled as he could see the sadness behind her eyes.

Even in her sadness, she still looked so engaging, and so incredibly stunning, he thought.

"Who's the one who walked all the way to my side of the Palace, just hoping to see me?"

The tension broke as they laughed and he quickly joined her by her side.

She felt that familiar warmth again, and it was comforting.

"What have you been up to this week? I imagine the Maester is having you run around the Tome, doing 80% of his work, the lazy old man."

"You're not wrong, but I enjoy it. I'm actually reading a lot. I learnt all of the Silver Houses and abilities, like I said I would."

"Oh, congratulations."

Maven teased lightly, a glint in his eyes.

She playfully hit his arm.

"Now that you know all the abilities, do you still want mine?"

"Without. A. Doubt."

Kaida emphasised every word as Maven watched her lips move.

She knew exactly what she was doing, and Maven was entranced.

"But the Samos one was intriguing too."

Kaida quickly moved on, suddenly feeling very heated.

"Ah yes, House Samos."

Maven talked to distract them both.

"One of the most powerful and revered Houses in all of Norta. Most of the former Queens are from House Samos. They are all strength and power, embodying the Silver motto. However, the last two Queens were not Samosian, much to their chagrin. It is up to this Silver girl called Evangeline to bring the Queenship back to her House. To restore their standing in court."