Chapter 17

Kaida found herself standing in the centre of the arena floor, after dark.

The arena lights were stark and blinding, making the white setting seem even more sanitised and hospital-like.

She wore a white cotton wrap top, on top of sleek black trousers, and her best pair of boots.

The side of her hair was braided to the scalp neatly, preventing it from flopping entirely over her face.

She stood at attention, with her arms folded.

Opposite her stood two people- Maven and another girl who had short wavy red hair.

Kaida thought it was pretty, like she had been kissed by fire.

The mystery girl wore a black training suit.

In stature, she was shorter than Kaida, but more robust and more toned.

She stood with her hands clasped behind her back, her light eyes staring at Kaida.

"This is Dinah of House Iral. She will be training you over the coming weeks."

Maven folded his own arms, mimicking Kaida.

He began a slow circle around Dinah.

"She has been trained in 7 different fighting styles. She speaks 9 different languages. She has heightened senses and reflexes. Perfect agility and balance. She doesn't need a weapon, she has perfected her body as the ultimate fighting tool."

Dinah remained passive at Maven's praises.

"Her father, Duke Natalius Iral is a member of the High Council. One of the best operatives Norta has to offer. There is no doubt that Dinah will take his place, when the time comes."

Kaida remembered she had met the Duke once, a long time ago, while working in the Tome.

He had the same fiery red hair as his daughter.

As Maven finished introducing Dinah, she sprung to life, with a clap of her hands.

"Okay. So first, we will work on your endurance. Getting you physically fit, and mentally prepared. Next, your flexibility, before we finally start working on your fighting style. The basics of attacking and defending."

Dinah sized her up.

"It's going to be tough, especially with the time constraints. Maven wanted you trained before the next Ball. And personally, I think you have what it takes. You will rise to the challenge. You look swift, perfect for counter attacking."

Dinah quickly gave Kaida a once over, assessing her ability just from the glance.

She turned to Maven.

"Attack me."

Maven raised a suggestive brow, at that Dinah rolled her eyes.

"Don't worry, I won't hit you in front of your girlfriend. I just want to show her how capable I am, and give her something to work towards."

Dinah smiled warmly at Kaida, who noticed how she suddenly became light on her feet, springing up and ready.

"You mean you want to show off."

Maven accused.

Without his fire, Dinah was the only one who could beat him hand-to-hand.