Prologue

For the first time in his life, the Admiral and his family were summoned for a private audience in front of the King.

Of course he had attended meetings with the Sovereign before.

Mostly about battle strategies, conquering and uniting the regions, improvements to the war ships and whatnot, but these had been with a dozen other Generals and Commanders.

The throne room in which he stood now was small, intimate, but as everywhere in the Palace ornately decorated.

The silver and marble theme a constant in almost every room.

Smooth alabaster steps led up to a carved Blackwood throne, imbedded in the armrest were orange gems.

The mirror-like topaz and citrine catching the light almost seemed to glow, in contrast with the harsh black of the throne, which came to a high point just below the King's banner - A flame within a tilted crown.

The banner was flanked by velveteen Amber drapes tied back with matching rope.

Tall marble pillars stood at either side of the throne room.

The Admiral gave his wife a reassuring touch, she met his eyes with concern and they looked down at their little boy, clinging to his mother's skirts.

"We'll be okay."

He whispered.

Just then, the inconspicuous side door next to the throne in the fair right corner of the room flung open.

"Bow before King Tiberius, of House Calore, Third of his Name, Descendent of Caeser, King of Norta, Flame of the North, Protector of the Free Lands, Guardian of the Crown and Crest, the Unburnt, the Unbowed, the Undying and everlasting fire-"

"Yes, yes, no need to announce the full thing. Remind me to get that shortened. There's only about 6 of us in this room, and we want this done quickly."

The King interjected as he strode to his throne and slowly lowered himself onto the hard wood.

The Admiral had sunk into a deep bow and then knelt on one knee, his wife knelt on two knees, holding her son to her side.

Her skirt pooled around them both. Their heads were both bowed, eyes to the floor.

"Rise, Admiral Ziyados, Countess Sarah Ziyados."

The King ordered, and they complied.

"We know about the boy. His name?"

The King's eyes were piercing.

"Isaac."

His mother answered, trying to remain composed, while her whole world was crumbling around her.

"Bring Isaac forward."

With her shaking hands she led her boy forward, his doe eyes looked up at her.

The King gestured to a servant who they now noticed was carrying a simple silver dagger with a smooth hilt.

It came to a wicked point. Sharp and swift.

The servant began to approach the child.

Countess Sarah looked to the Admiral with absolute fear in her eyes, tears threatening to spill.

"Your Grace-"

The Admiral rose his voice, trying to muster strength, not wanting to sound weak and helpless, although he was.

He locked eyes with the King.

"I just want to see for myself."

The King held up his hand, cutting off the Admiral.

At that, the servant picked up the boy's pointer finger and swiftly drew the blade across it, instantly, red pooled at the incision.

Droplets of blood dripped from his finger, a bright crimson colour.

The servant pulled out a crisp, white napkin and applied pressure to the wound, then held up the white napkin with the red splotch.

There it was, as clear as day.

"Impossible..."

The King muttered, resting his chin between his thumb and forefinger. The fire tipped crown staying planted on his ashen hair.

"You're sure this boy is your son?"

Almost on cue, the little boy ran back to his mother's side, slightly sulky that a strange man had just cut him.

"Certain. This is my boy. My blood. I love him, no matter what."

Silence descended upon the throne room as the King mulled, then finally gave his verdict.

"I have never seen anything like this before. It is unheard of, unfathomable! A tragic mutation of the blood, a mutation of both of your essences."

The King thought about the consequences this would have, the hysteria and panic it would cause.

"Listen carefully. No one can find out about this. I am offering both of you a chance to start afresh. From here on out, House Ziyados is banished from Court. All titles will be rescinded. Your House will be a thing of the past. You will forfeit your lands, and live amongst the people. It is the only way. A real Damnatio memoriae."

Countess Sarah gasped, looking to her husband in shock.

The King continued.

"It is such a shame, Admiral, I wanted to congratulate you on how gallantly you fought in the Siege of Bridgeport. Thank you, for your service. Under different circumstances I would be giving you more titles, not taken them away. Pity. I know you have amassed a lot of wealth over the years, 20 percent will be taken as taxes. You may keep the rest to make the...transition smoother."

The King turned to the Royal Administrator, ever present on his left side, who was writing the King's decree.

"I want the record of this meeting buried deep in the archives. Make it vanish. That is all."

The King stood signalling the end of this summoning.

Admiral Ziyados and his wife bowed yet again.

"Thank you, King Tiberius. You have been so merciful."

They accepted the new situation, a bitter pill to swallow.

However, they had been rather lucky.

Another King would have had them executed on the spot.

Their House and legacy permanently exterminated.

__________________________________

Author Notes :

And so it begins! Buckle up folks, I have so much in store for this book and I'm very excited to share it :)

Please feel free to comment, share, vote and as always, stay tuned!