Chapter 10

"I'm using Mareena to get to The Scarlet Guard. I'm manipulating her. I am using one of my many faces to gain her trust. Don't get me wrong, she loves Cal. When it comes down to it, she will choose Cal. But I think she is falling for a version of me that doesn't exist."

Kaida did not like the sound of that, at all.

"I've met the leader of the resistance. A woman named 'General' Farley. I am in liaison with my mother and we planned to take them down from the inside. However, I suspect my dear mother has further plans of her own, which she won't let me know."

It all made sense now.

Kaida wondered how Maven was doing all this, by himself, for the past couple of months.

All this subterfuge.

As time went on, it began to show. Especially when he was alone with her.

It was like he was carrying the whole weight of the world on his shoulders.

He grew more distracted, always having to conceal his true thoughts, and watch his back.

Kaida served as his lifeline, bringing him back to who he was.

"What exactly are the Scarlet Guard fighting for?"

"An end to the War. Better living conditions for the Reds. Equality."

"Don't you agree with that?"

Maven's next answer would be very critical for Kaida.

"I do. But their methods are unorthodox, and highly destructive. They will not hesitate in killing any Silver they come across, just to make a statement."

"The Silvers kill Reds just to make a statement, as shown by the public executions."

"You make a fair point. Although, Silvers are not objectively evil and Reds aren't just the 'good common people'. There are innocents and murderers on both sides. It's hard to tell the difference. It's not up to the Scarlet Guard to be judge, jury and executioner."

Kaida wasn't sure about the politics of it all.

'One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist.' was the first thing that jumped to her mind.

She knew one thing, her one absolute that she clung to.

The system had to change.

How to go about it, was a different argument entirely.

"But before we can improve conditions in Norta, we cannot let the so called Scarlet Guard being chaos and disorder to the doorstep. They are extremists. I truly believe they are setting back the Red cause while they operate. This is the one purposeful thing I can do, Kaida. I will complete my mission."

Maven's eyes were set with absolute certainty.

His voice did not waiver.

Kaida scanned his face, feelings of suspicion and doubt blooming in her mind.

"You say you're manipulating this Mareena girl. She is caught in your web of lies, confused by who you really are. How do I know you're not doing the same to me? That you aren't just mirroring what I want you to be?"

Maven pulled her into a hug, squeezing her, as he liked to do. Imposing his presence.

"Kaida, I could never lie to you. You don't deserve that. You're the only person I can be myself with. The only person."

He stopped to her level, pressing his lips to hers in a smooth kiss.

She melted into it.

That was all she needed, for now.