Chapter 11

It was almost pitch black but Kaida squinted to survey the cloaked figure standing in front of her.

One of their hands still firmly on her shoulder.

It was those golden eyes, yet again.

"Cal!"

She whisper shouted

"Here, let me get that for you."

He swerved around her and budged the gate open, quickly and easily, using his natural brawn.

Cal looked back at her with a cheeky grin.

'That's not embarrassing at all."

Kaida thought to herself, but shared the same easy going smile with Cal.

"After you."

He held the door open for her, as she passed by him.

Kaida was taken aback by the festivities, it was incredibly busy and very vibrant.

Red globule shaped lanterns with golden tassels hung and floated overhead, and colourful banners stretched across the immaculate white streets from townhouse to townhouse.

'Winter Solstice Festival' the banners read.

For once, Archeon was no longer pale and devoid of colour.

Reds filled the streets, dancing and mingling and shopping.

Food stalls were set up every couple of feet, delicious aromas wafting into the cool air.

Kaida's senses were overwhelmed but she couldn't help beaming brightly, trying to take it all in as her eyes darted around.

Cal pulled her into the moving crowd quickly. They slowly weaved through the people, blending right in.

"You know, you stand out when you look like a tourist. It would be better if you could pretend like this isn't your first Festival."

Cal laughed heartily.

Kaida tried to act natural, matching his pace.

She looked up at him.

"I can't believe you're actually here! I haven't spoken to you since that night on the pier. What are you even doing out here?"

"I sometimes like to get out of the Palace, and for a couple of hours just forget myself."

Kaida could understand it.

The Palace could get dull, and claustrophobic.

And with the added pressure of Cal's title, it would be good for him to actually explore the place that he will rule one day.

"When I go out like this, I don't make a big deal about it. People would think I was mad anyway, if I came out here yelling about... who I am."

Cal lowered his voice at the last part, then continued.

"My apologies too. It was rude of me to not come and find you. I bet you could've needed a friend, someone to ease the transition. It should have been me. Things just got so...hectic. Anyway, you've settled in fine now, but let me make it up to you. We've got 3 hours, and I'm going to show you how to enjoy your first Winter Solstice in style."

Just then a giant dragon puppet passed between the both of them, splitting them up.

It was purple and the scales flickered incandescently. Emerald green ribbons streamed from its scaly surface, ruffling along behind it.