Chapter 19

He went to stand by the large glazed windows, overlooking the arena and Archeon.

Tiberius lifted the sharp crown from his head, placing it on the edge of Elara's desk.

His hand went to brush across his face.

Elara still had her back to him, not bothering to face him yet.

"Cal is going to the frontlines in 3 months to this day. To command a Legion."

Tiberius spoke, ignoring Kaida for now.

Nothing new to her.

With neither of their crowns on, Kaida was witnessing a private conversation between husband and wife.

"Okay. Congratulations to him."

Kaida did not miss the irritation on Elara's face.

Still, she sat facing Kaida with her back to her husband.

"Elara. I am just going to be direct with you. I think Maven should go with him."

Elara finally turned to face the King.

"Absolutely not."

Her tone rose.

"You may be content with allowing your son to ride into the face of imminent danger but Maven will not follow."

"Our sons. They are both our sons."

The King reminded.

Elara scoffed.

"Then I think it is reckless of you to endanger our sons. Our boys. For this never-ending War you're so obsessed with. Imagine we lose them both!"

"We won't. Both of them combined are the most powerful fire-wielding duo Norta has to offer. Together, they are as strong as Queen Xanthe herself. The Lakelanders will not last a week. The boys can end it, and come home safely. I promise you that."

Elara shook her head.

"What about that thing you sent her father to get, wasn't that supposed to end the war?"

"There is always a chance it could be a fluke. If it doesn't work I would have wasted precious time putting all my eggs in one basket, as the Lakelanders advance."

They snapped at each other. Back and forth.

"Now, if we had Cal, Maven and the item. We would take the lands that are rightfully ours in one blow. On top of that, every Kingdom will fear us. No one would dare start another war."

"No. No, I refuse. Our sons are not commodities, or weapons. We have Reds to fight the war. We have soldiers."

The King brought his fist down heavily on Elara's desk.

Kaida jumped at the sound.

His crown shook under the force of it and Elara was silenced.