Chapter 20

As with the last Ball, Kaida was preparing herself in Maven's room.

The servants were adding the finishing touches to her ensemble, fixing jewels to her wrists and ears.

They all matched, icy aquamarine gems so pale they were almost white - the perfect accompaniment to the gown Elara had made for her.

The material melded with Kaida's skin, making it seem like the silver crystals traversing the length of the dress were fused to her.

Fabric was gathered at the waist and cascaded down in folds of ocean blue and sky blue voile, bunched together to form streams weaving between the silver details.

It was textured, the bottom almost sheer and the top cutting low into a 'v' shape, revealing the brown skin underneath. 

Kaida's hair was neatly twisted into long black faux locs which were gathered into a high bun.

She pulled two strands down from the right side, letting them fall down to her waist.

Kaida took in her own appearance.

In truth, she looked like a Princess, expensive and glittery, but her eyes were hard as she stared into them.

Maven entered just as a servant woman held up a sparkling necklace, the final piece.

"I will do that."

Maven exerted, slipping off his silk gloves.

The servant, an older woman, delicately handed it to him.

She bowed and gathered the other girls to leave.

Maven strode to Kaida.

"Step down for me."

Kaida complied wordlessly, planting her foot on the floor as she descended back to her normal height.

She stood with her bare back to Maven.

He swung the necklace around her, his fingers were warm but feather light as he did the clasp, nimbly.

"The Merandus jewels. A beautiful gift for a beautiful girl."

Maven murmured and pressed a gentle kiss to the side of her neck.

"I won't keep them."

Kaida's voice came out clipped.

Maven noticed she was wound up and full of tension, not usually her smiley self.

"Kaida."

His voice dropped an octave.

She spun to face him, looking deep into his eyes, the colour of which matched the very stones she wore.

"There is no need to worry. Don't be scared, don't be nervous. The Scarlet Guard's plan will not come to fruition. My mother will give the signal and they will all be captured. Before they can do any harm. This is the end for them."

Maven reassured her, giving her shoulders a squeeze.

It wasn't enough for Kaida, she clung momentarily to his dress jacket.

Maven took that as the cue to give her a very tight hug, pushing back the material of her dress as he enveloped her in his arms, strong and steady.

For Maven, Kaida's safety was not even a question. He would never let anything happen to her.

He pulled back slightly, and his hand went to press at the middle of her forehead.

A delicate finger traced down to the tip of her nose, a most endearing move.