Chapter 5: The Map

Cassie was felt like shit. No. Not just shit but the durtiest and most stinky shit that was ever been on this earth. She was hoping her father and uncle felt the same way.

She had stole from the twins. Fred and George were the best of the best. And they have always been a great company. Always smiling, always joking. She had actually met them first. When they heard her family name, all they did was sitting next to her, saying, "We are purebloods, if you must know. My name is Fred and that handsome man over there is Gorgeous... I mean George."

Hermione, after weeks of not talking to her, came to her and sat on the edge of her bed. "Hey."

"Go away, Hermione," Cassie said calmly, staring at the ceiling. "I don't need your pity or conversations. I don't need your friendship."

Hermione held her breath, but did not answer. She stood up and began to prepare for her classes. Cassie lay down a little longer. She decided that the delay for DADA was worth it. Especially since she had the Marauders map.

If she could, she would spend the whole morning in her bed. Cassiopeia would curl up in her blankets, play with her hair, write to her aunt to complain to her about how disgusting things Remus and Sirius made her do, and read.

God. She loved reading. She loved how the words could get her in a world of her own - a world where she could watch how the sun rises and sets from a castle near the sea, a world where she could dance with a beautiful dark-haired king... A world where she could be anyone she wants to be, without worrying about her father, about her pureblood family, about her crazy aunt who was in Azkaban. Reading gave her freedom. Reading gave her choices, where there were none. Reading was the only thing that was fully and truly hers.

Cassie sighed and got out of her bed. She dressed herself. Still feeling like shit she ran straight to the classroom. "I am sorry, professor Lupin," Cassie said, getting a grim look from her uncle. Remus nodded to the empty seat next to Daphne and continued talking about whatever he was talking about.

"Did you get that?" her friend asked quietly. Cassie nodded. "Did it work?"

"If you ask me if I've seen you do whatever with Fred Weasley, yes, I've seen you."

Daphne blushed a little and looked over her shoulder- her eyes, finding Kol's. Then she turned to Cassie again with raised eyebrows. The Gryffindor shooked her head in denial. She wasn't in love with Kol Greengrass.

The last week they have talked. A lot. About him. About her father and Cassie told her everything. About the Map, about what her uncle said and at the end there was only one question left unanswered. "Are you going to tell your aunt?"

And Cassie really considered it. She even started the letter a few times. But as soon as she found herself telling the same lie over and over again she stopped trying. For years now she had been lying everyone. Even her family and only Dora saw through the pain and denial... She saw that under that stupid mask of the always happy Cassiopea Black, the young Gryffindor. But what was under that mask?

Cassie bit her lip as she remembered what the Sorting hat had told her three years ago. "You are going to be great if you only choose Slytherin. You are already powerful! There is only one right choice for you. But hiding what you are in order to please your family. Remember now, girl. When your mask drops, I am going to put you where you truly belong. "

And then the hat shouted the name of the Lion House. Cassie had opened her eyes and looked at professor McGonagall. Minnie had just smiled and pointed at the Gryffindor table proud that she got another Black. A really powerful Black.

And here they were, three years later, yet no one except her knew the hat's words. When you mask drops... Cassie was afraid of that day more than anything else in the world.