Chapter 26: Marks And Fighting

"1st August, 1 am.
Don't be late."

Cassiopea Black waved with her hand, creating a ball of light. The Dark Mark burned on her right hand as she looked around the house. She wasn't scared. She knew that her mother would come alone. After all what a mother she was if she risked her daughter's life by inviting Death-Eaters.

Cassie took a deep breath when she realized she was alone. When people say 'don't be late' they have to he there on time.

She sat down on the couch, lifting her hair in a ponytail. The next time she agrees to such a meeting she would wear a top instead of a long-sleeved t-shirt.

"You came."

Cassie jumped from the couch and turned around only to see her mother standing in the shadows of the doorway. She looked at her carefully. Dressed in a nice dress, Emma Rosier was one of the most beautiful women Cassie had ever seen. No wonder Cassiopea herself was beautiful.

Two beautiful parents couldn't make an ugly child.

"Hello, mother. It's been what? 12 years since the last time I saw you?"

"Yes. 12 painful years," she smiled a and took a step forward. "You're really beautiful, Cassie..."

"Cassiopea," the girl corrected. "Only my family and friends can call me 'Cassie'. As long as I am involved in this... You're nothing, but someone the Dark Lord sent. Anyway. Where is it?"

Emma looked confused. "What do you mean?"

"Where is the mission going to be?" Cassie asked. "Look, no offense, but the Dark Lord told me to come here because he wanted to inform me about some kind of a mission. Where's the letter?"

Emma blinked a few times before realizing what Cassie was talking about. "Cassiopea Andromeda Black. Are you a Death-Eater?"

"Show me your mark and I'll show you mine," Cassie smiled. She looked surprised when her mother said that she didn't have any. "So you're not the person whom the Dark Lord sent?" she signed. "Well, go back to your master and tell him that me and dad will stop informing him about the Order's... Missions if he doesn't tell us what's going on!"

"How do I know that you really are a Death-Eater?"

Cassie rolled her eyes and showed her mark. She felt the hot air, but it was better that her arm being in the long-sleeve all the time.

Emma's face paled. "Oh. Merlin..."

"Can I get the information now?"

Her mother looked at her eyes, their eyes, and Cassie saw pure pain. For a moment she thought that maybe Emma wasn't a Death-Eater, that this was a bad idea, but then she grabbed a pen and a paper and wrote down something. Then she handed it to Cassie.

"The Death-Eaters' next mission," she said. "Please... I know I was a bad mother, but I still care for you."

"Do I look like I care about you and your stupid excuses? No? Because I don't."

And she disappeared, leaving her mom crying in the living room of a home Cassie once had. But that home was long gone as that little girl was.

*******
"Do you know it's after midnight, young lady?"