Chapter 63: Basketball

I stared into my fingers, not trying to talk or even think of her. The way I've felt about her has been suppressed for so long I don't even know how I feel about her anymore.

"Do you remember the age when your mom gave you up?" He asked

I sighed, "No, just know I was real young from what I was told."

"Do you know why, if not, what do you think the reason is?"

I shrugged, "I don't know, man, she was a dead beat ass bitch that ain't want no kids that's why."

He nodded, "Okay, you said kids, do you have any siblings?"

"A sister."

"Okay, and what is her name?"

"Mia."

"How is the relationship between the two of you?"

"It's alright, not talkin' right now."

He nodded, "I would love to touch more basis on Mia but I want to get back to your mom first, what age did you begin feeling the wrath of not having your mom? What age did you find out?"

I slouched down a bit on the couch, "I don't know, man, 6..7."

"And what was going on and how'd you figure it out? Tell me the story."

"Are you serious?" I asked

He stared at me with a blank facial expression, indicating he was serious.

I let out another annoyed huff, this nigga really wanna be all in my business.

"What if I don't remember?"

"It's a very significant factor in your life, you do remember, you've just pushed the memory so far back in your subconscious because it hurts so you try not to remember. Where were you?" He asked

"Where was I?"

"Yes, where were you?" He asked

"Basketball practice, that's all I remember."

"Do you play or like basketball now?"

I shook my head, "No, football."

He nodded, "Okay. Tell me the story about how you became interested in basketball and I'll try a technique from there."

I shrugged, "When I was younger I always said I wanted to play basketball 'cause I'd always see older kids on the court at the park and it..inspired me I guess..." I said

"Alright, now close your eyes for me."

"What? Hell naw, you might poison me."

He chuckled, "I'm not here to harm you, Chris, it's just a technique to help you recall the story."

I sighed, "Okay." I said, slowly closing my eyes and peeking them open periodically as he wrote on his notepad, making sure he wasn't tryna poison me or some shit.

"Now, where were you when you first begin to feel the hurt and emotions of your mother being gone?"

I sighed while my eyes remained closed, "At a basketball game."

"Whose game was it?"

"Mine, me and some kids." I said

"How'd you get onto the basketball team? Did she put you in it?"

"No, she allowed me to practice with the other younger kids after school."

"Now tell me about the game, how'd you feel about playing in it?" He asked