43. Lie Before A Storm

"Where are we going?" Annika asked for the nth time since they have been on a two-hour-long drive, now in the middle of the night. They spent a good hour at the beach and then Shivaay took her to eat in a restaurant. When Annika expected a dessert, he announced he had somewhere else to take her to. Ever since then, every ten minutes of theirs would spend with her endless questions and his mysterious smile.

"You are such a curious cat, Annika," he remarked, "Have patience."

"Look who is talking about patience," she snorted in derision, "The man who creates a mess if he cannot find a file in less than five minutes."

"Hey, don't forget I clear the mess myself too," he reminded her.

"That's because you have OCD," she said in spirit. She turned silent as grave upon the realization of what she said. His lack of response added to her nonexistent misery.

"Say something!" she muttered.

"Huh?"

"What?"

Annika's face was worth watching. Shivaay was not a person to smile or laugh easily, yet her face was such that even he had to try hard to resist himself from smiling. She clearly looked as if a thief caught in the act.

"Relax." he took her arm and gave it a gentle pat. She released the breath she had been holding all this while.

"Are you okay?" he asked with concern dripping from his voice.

Annika inhaled two deep breaths before she replied, "Where are we going?"

"That's not an answer!" he said, "You will see when we reach."

She sighed. She was truly done for the day. All day long she was sad because Shivaay chose his office over her on a weekend that too on her birthday. Then she was busy comforting herself saying it was not realistic for a person to leave behind all his work in order to celebrate with her. And now that the day had come to an end, she lacked energy for anything but sleep.

"Please, when you asked me to take my shoes off at the beach, I did so. Didn't I? Now that I considered a wish of yours, you should too," Shivaay pled.

"I am only asking you to tell me where are we going at this hour of the night? First, we didn't tell anyone. Secondly, when I said yes, I was unaware that we are going to stay for this long. Third, I am tired and sleepy," she closed her eyes. The constant yawns she made were enough for Shivaay to know that she meant each word she said.

"And I am not tired?" he asked.

Annikka opened her eyes. She was too involved in her disappointment and misery to not notice that he was tired too. Her vengeance about her first boring birthday went upon Shivaay. And why would it not? She had expectations from him. As her husband, it was his part to make her day special. Alas! Mr. Billu could only do his part by providing her with a boring birthday.

"Annika?" he looked her way. She was still lost in her contemplation. He quickly glanced at the GPS to calculate the time of arrival.

Annika came out of her zoned out phase hearing the directions of the GPS. She looked around. Shivaay's smile and the nooks and corners around her screamed that she had been to the place before. She craned her neck a bit more to the left to see a bit more if possible. He entwined their fingers and jerked her hand lightly to catch her attention.

"When we arrive, you will see. It's a place dear to you," Shivaay said.

"Papa's home is in the opposite direction," she pointed out.

"I am not talking about that."

"Then?"

"You will see."