50. Budding Insecurities

"I guess I have to think then."

Shivaay's words resonated in Annika's mind throughout the night. She did want him to think about it, but she never thought he would be convinced so easily. He was a tough nut to crack. She failed to believe how she requested once and he said yes.

At the moment, he was getting dressed in front of the mirror. She was ready to go to her class as well. It being Wednesday, she won't be going to the office after the end of her lecture. She was nevertheless curious to know what he would do in the office. She hoped he really thought about giving Dev a chance. Yet, she decided to not push things too long too soon. He must not think she had nothing else to talk to him about.

"Annika," he called her, the tie in his hand. She stepped forward, taking hold of the tie, and helped him with it. She was glad he could finally ask her to do things for him with all the rights. He grabbed his phone from the pocket and checked a few texts.

"You said you won't be coming to the office, right?"

She nodded. "Done." She stepped away from him.

I will see you in the evening. Bye," he left. Annika sighed. Her frown intact on her lips because she did not receive her answer yet. On one hand, she wanted an optimistic answer; on the other, she felt she was being too demanding with her expectations.

She grabbed her bag and headed out of the room. Meeting Dev will be a big task today.

***

In between the busy day, Shivaay had no time to think about the promise he made to Annika. Quite unusually, Annika did not call or text him even once before or after her classes were over. He wondered if Dev said anything hurtful to her. Or maybe Annika ignored him because he had no defined answer for her? He knew he could say no. But saying no without really thinking about it made him feel guilty. For it was a promise made to Annika, and he did not want to abuse her trust. Her trust that he would keep his words.

"Annika," her name rambled out of his mouth various times during the day just the way her name resided in his heart every second of his day. He now thought about her often. Not just due to Dev. Even in general he seemed to be thinking about her more often than he would like to. She was becoming a nuisance during his important meetings or phone calls because her thought never kept him sane enough to pay attention to anything else. So much that his life seemed like a joke from Google. Annika must be tired all day for she simply ran on his mind twenty-four by seven.

Had Lunch?

Annika's message pinged on his notifications bringing a smile to his face. It erased a line of tension from his He was a bit apprehensive seeing no text from her side throughout the day.

Yup

You?

How is your day going?

She did not answer his question. Maybe she forgot? Why would she avoid such a simple question?

"Gosh, Annika, you are making me overthink like you," he murmured to himself.

Same as usual. How were your classes?

By now Annika had become an expert in detecting when Shivaay was sure of something and when she was not based on the expressions on his face. Given they were texting and Annika couldn't see him, he really hoped she did not see through his lie. His days were completely changed with her face bugging the back of his mind each second.