51. A Trophy Wife?

Shivaay felt outrageous upon learning about Mallika daring to meet his wife. As if the lady hadn't received enough knowledge after seeing him happy with Annika during their honeymoon. He reprimanded himself. It was his fault alone. The news of Harsh's death required his attention to be on Annika, media, and business. He didn't get time to deal with Mallika.

"What did she say?" rage was pouring from his voice. Annika seemed a bit scared too. Or was it self-pity? Blinded by anger, he failed to figure out her emotions through her expressions.

"Nothing we should be worried about," she replied more to herself than Shivaay, "You were right. The woman is crazy. Should have realized when I figured out how she is after you even after we got married."

"I asked what she said," each of his words sounded like he was throwing pebbles at someone.

"It doesn't matter now. All that matters is both of us want our relationship to grow," Annika avoided speaking about Mallika yet again.

"You won't tell me, fine. I will figure it out myself," Shivaay assured and started to leave.

"Hold on," her voice made him stop in his tracks.

"I didn't mean to hurt you—"

"Did she hurt you?"

"Huh?"

He turned back, walked closer to Annika, and met her eyes, "Honestly, let alone the matter of name, blood, and lineage alone; I never received positive vibes from her. She crossed her limits when she followed us all the way to Crete. I just want you to stay away from her."

Annika nodded. She didn't get good vibes from Mallika either. A part of her heart though wanted to meet Mallika again. For she knew each word that she said has some level of veracity in them.

"You were asking me what sort of wife I wanted," he recalled, "Did she talk about anything remotely related to our marriage? If she did, I am not going to spare her."

"Shivaay."

"What did she say, Annika?"

"She is just salty about our marriage. Nothing else. I told you I don't believe her. At all."

"What. Did. She. Say?"

"Shivaay, please leave," she closed her eyes, "I didn't want to keep you in the dark that's why I told you. I don't want to spoil both of our moods by discussing her."

His cold eyes reflected with warmth for Annika. He knelt down and placed his hand on top of hers.

"I am thankful that you were considerate enough to not hide the matter from me. If you indeed want to avoid the discussion, for the time being, I will respect your decision. But at one point in time, you have to tell me the whole matter."

Shivaay wanted to leave when Annika stopped him by holding his hand. He went back to his previous position.

"She blabbered nonsense about you. Something I cannot bear to hear," he cupped her face. She slid her hand to place her palm on top of his.

***

Annika was back to being anxious after Shivaay left for office. On her way, she really hoped he offered to drop her at college. Nonetheless, she had put up the facade of confidence as she stepped out of the car and convinced herself that she was ready to meet and apologize to Dev.

***

Fortunately or unfortunately, she was late for the class. Shivaay hadn't texted her anything nor she was in the mood to text him that she had reached college safely. She turned off her phone and tried her best to pay attention. The fact that Dev sat just a few seats away didn't help. She couldn't help her anxious self.