38. A Fast For Life

Shivaay was snoring softly when an excited Annika woke up half an hour before dawn and prepared herself for the day. In the past four days, Shivaay had insisted twenty times that he would talk to Kalyani if Annika was not a fan of the idea of keeping fast for him. And each time she had to assure him saying she wanted to do it and was not forced. She could not be forced, she said.

"I am still saying. I will talk to her if you don't want to," Shivaay's voice filled her ears when she was about to step out of their room.

"Did I wake you up? Sorry," she apologized.

"Uh, the sound of the shower woke me up earlier," he said.

"Oh, sorry. I couldn't just leave the room in the morning without showering," Annika said. There was this puja factor too that she had to perform before eating sargi, but she knew better than talking about venerations and beliefs with Shivaay. He performed them for the sake of it. Mostly on his family's insistence. He had little faith in such things she had figured out.

"It's okay," he looked at the clock, "Wow, you woke up at six."

"What do you mean I woke up at six?" she narrowed her eyes at him, having caught the emphasis on you in his previous sentence.

He simply shrugged his shoulders. "Nothing, I just wondered that your MBA classes are from nine still you struggle to wake up, so I was surprised at how you woke up at six this morning."

"FYI, it has only been twice or thrice that I struggled to wake up. I always get up at the first ring of the alarm," she advocated herself.

"Come on, Annika," he chuckled, "No one wakes up at the first ring of the alarm. Not even me."

Her lips thinned. He was right. No, he just had ways to win a debate.

"If you are done may I leave this room? Dadi must be waiting for me with the sargi."

"Ah, find a better way out next time. Dadi won't be waiting for you with sargi every day," he laughed. His laugh caused Annika to smile. How did she ever wish this man had died. Her anger did not justify it at all.

***

At the very end of the night, Kalyani handed over the large plate filled with food items wrapped with a silk cloth to Annika. Annika ate soot feni, a traditional North Indian food to eat as a pre-dawn meal on the day of Karwa Chauth. The elder lady later showered an array of jewelry and sarees upon her that she expected Annika to wear in the evening. Annika picked an embroidered georgette saree in red with a golden border. Kalyani approved of it as well saying red was an auspicious color for it was Annika's first karwa chauth.

"Henna designers should be here by noon. Traditionally, all fasting women would apply henna on this day. Nowadays some do and some don't. I insist that you do. It is your first time. All these are considered auspicious," Kalyani said.

"Dadi, guests will arrive by late afternoon and early evening. With henna on my hands, won't it be difficult to play a good host?" Annika asked.

"Why do you need to worry? House-helps are there in case they need anything. All you have to do is go around greeting them, and make them feel comfortable."

"And I have called them to meet you only," she continued, "Everyone's eyes will be on you. Don't overwork yourself by trying to play a good host as you put it."

"I will now that you said it too," Annika assured. After returning from Rishikesh, Kalyani was being nice to her, just how a grandmother-in-law should be. Annika couldn't be happier.