12. Protection and Care

The next morning was a bit hectic for both Shivaay and Annika. Annika bustled to do some last-minute packing while Shivaay was busy attending some last-minute calls.

"No, Diya, Rina, Madison, Emma, I won't be available to talk in the next two weeks. I will let you guys know after I am back," she talked to her friends from London in a conference call as she made back and forth trips from the dresser to her backpack lying on the bed for keeping her necessary accessories.

"Yes, Mishra, you can call me anytime. Even if it is midnight in Greece but we are here on fire in India, call me. Got it? Call me" Shivaay instructed his assistant.

Shivaay's loud and proud voice restrained Annika to hear her friends' talk.

"Yes, I will handle it as soon as I am back," Shivaay carried on on the other side, "If you can't postpone my meeting with the Kapoors, ask them if they are ready to video call me in Crete, I will attend anytime."

Annika found it weird. Anytime? Like anytime. What if they are eating or sleeping or sightseeing when a call pops up? And why would he receive calls from the office anyway? Here, she had been asking her friends not to call her and there he is: office, office, office!

"Annika, pass me the file please," Shivaay pointed towards a white file kept near the dresser. She handed him the file. He opened it and without a simple thanks went away.

Annika sighed. Sometimes, no, at all times, his behavior wanted her to give up on this marriage. However, she had a strong faith in relations as sacred as marriage. Her own father spent just four years of his life with her mother. Yet, when her mother died in childbirth, he chose to remain a widow. That was love. That was a relationship called marriage. Marriage, which doesn't let you be tied to anyone other than your true soulmate. It had been only a week Annika became Shivaay's wife. She cannot lose hope so easily.

***

"Okay Dadi, so we may leave now," Shivaay said once they were both ready and their backpacks situated inside the car. The whole family was in the hall to bid them goodbye.

"Wait for a minute, Shivaay. Mr. Kabeer called this morning. He wants to meet both of you before you leave," Kalyani said.

Annika became alert at Harsh's mention. Her frustration on Harsh was way more than he frustration on Shivaay. Till yesterday, the daughter who had been eager to see her father didn't want to see his face now.

"Shivaay, we are getting late. Let's leave now or we will miss the flight" Annika pointed out.

Kalyani did not fail to notice the urge on Annika's voice as she asked Shivaay to leave. To her, it seemed that Annika was eager to take Shivaay away from his family.

On the other hand, Shivaay was rather surprised by the way Annika spoke. She never seemed excited about their so-called honeymoon. He wondered what changed now.

Annika dug her nails inside her open palm. She had no inclination to face Harsh now.

"Bhaiya-Bhabhi, you should leave. It's getting late," Rudra informed.

"Don't forget the list I gave you," Priyanka spoke.

"I won't" Shivaay assured.

Giving each of his siblings a short hug, Shivaay left with Annika. Annika was happy that Harsh was unable to make it. Rather than happy, she felt at peace that she won't have to face him right now.

***

Annika's phone rang thrice in the car, twice in the airport and once before the flight was about to take off. All of the times, it had been Harsh. And all of the times, Annika declined his calls.