23. Undefined Feelings

It was long after Annika returned from Shivaay's office, yet the smile on her face, the blush evident on her cheeks and heart which won't stop thumping. She didn't even wash her face after coming home. Her fingers would occasionally reach her cheeks to caress the spot where he kissed. It was not a liplock nor there was any petting or caressing, just a simple cheek kiss made her feel hot.

She wondered if he feels the same way about her. His each and every gesture made her contemplate, his look fluttered the strings of her heart, his touch made her freeze, his kiss though on forehead or cheeks carried her to dreamland. Her heart knew it well that she was only a few steps away from falling for him.

Luck was with her when he agreed to her wish of getting to know each other before taking the next step. Though she wished to live in the world of romance novels and movies, she was well aware of how arranged marriages work in real life. Arranged marriages were like two people would compromise to live with each other for leading a happy life. Most couples accept what life chose for them, some think they are in love with each other, and very very few truly fall for each other. Annika's heart desired the third one though she would be content with the second one.

The thought of the first one made her suffocate. She would never want Shivaay to settle with her because he had no other option. Nor she wanted to live with a man she could never love for the rest of her life herself.

A sigh escaped her lips. Shivaay: the man who dominated her thoughts. She wanted to do something for him, something that will make him feel special, something that will let him know that he had a special place in her heart.

There was a knock on the door. Annika stood up to see Kalyani.

"Dadi, come in," she welcomed her grandmother-in-law with the best smile on her face. Truth to be told her smile did not fade after the cheek kiss at all. Well, as long as Kalyani felt the smile was for her, Annika had no problem.

"It's so good to see you smiling."

Now that managed to straighten her face. She was looking for any underlying taunt in the statement made.

"Please have a seat," Annika offered.

Kalyani sat on the edge of the bed and Annika took the place beside her.

"I know it's difficult for you," Kalyani placed her arm on top of Annika's, "Marrying an unknown man, then letting go of the only family member dear to you. Life doesn't stop here, beta. It has been days to your grieving." Annika was surprised by the soothing words used. Shivaay already told her all these in his own way. She did not need a remedial lecture. "Don't you think now you should focus on Shivaay and your new family now?"

Annika finally learned the purpose of Kalyani's visit. It was a polite way to ask her to focus on Shivaay. She didn't blame Kalyani though. Anyone would expect a newly-married girl to keep her husband as her first priority. Especially if that someone was the groom's relative. There was no hard feelings in Annika towards Kalyani. In fact, she agreed to her grandmother-in-law. Her priority was herself and Shivaay.

"Dadi?"

"Yes?"

"What does Shivaay like?" she asked. This was her way to let Kalyani know that she was trying to focus on Shivaay, which she truly was.

Kalyani's lips curved in a beautiful smile. That's what she wanted. Annika finally gained some sense to tend to her husband. She was more than willing to help.

"Shivaay likes a lot of things: coffee, Hollywood movies, pasta, ratatouille, his work," then there was a chuckle, "shouting and fussing over small things. In which sense are you talking?"