24. In Between The Two Worlds

Annika had no sense of time while she admired Shivaay's cooking skills. He was a master of the skill. She wished she was like him. Twice she cooked and twice she messed up. Only if God blessed her with such a skill. Blush crept on her cheeks as her brain reminded her that God blessed her with a husband who cooks if not with the skill itself. Now she couldn't be complaining, could she?

"Meet me by the poolside in half an hour," came Shivaay's voice.

It took Annika mere seconds to come out of her trance so she could process what was just said.

"Uh?"

"Meet me by the poolside in half an hour," Shivaay repeated and began decorating the dish to his liking.

Annika finally realized the gravity of the situation. Shivaay was indirectly hinting towards a date. Okay, he did not clarify but she was smart enough to get that. Looking at her dress, she decided that it was nowhere near adequate to wear on a date with Shivaay Singh Oberoi. He was always dressed impeccably. Perhaps she could put efforts to match the same standards.

A stuck in crush mode Annika ran her way outside the kitchen. Shivaay could only look on without paying attention to the dripping ranch dressing over the salad. His wife was possibly crazy.

***

According to the plan, Shivaay waited for Annika by the poolside exactly half an hour later. Dressed in an immaculate black tuxedo with a grey waistcoat and matching shirt and trousers, he was able to hide his tired self behind his appearance. He got the househelp to arrange a beautiful table for two situated right from where the pool looked perfect. Beside him, a huge tray bore the dishes and plates.

Fifteen minutes later too, Annika was nowhere to be seen. He made a mental to let her know about his obsession with punctuality. Bored, he took the rose from the vase in the center of the table and fiddled with it for a bit.

A soft cough announced Annika's arrival after a good ten minutes. Shivaay turned to welcome her. She looked beautiful in the lavender saree she wore. A moon bracelet, a pair of platinum bangles, a tiny nose pin, her mangalsutra, and light make-up added to her look. Shivaay gulped and fiddled with his Rolex watch. She looked like a temptress in that saree. He worried if his desires took over him and he ended up doing something neither of them wanted.

She walked closer and stared at him. She signed towards the table as if hinting if they could sit. He looked on with a slightly agape mouth. Annika took the opportunity to drool over his look. It took her almost an hour before she could decide on something fit to wear on a date with Shivaay. There he was dressed like a prince without much hullabaloo.

"Shivaay"

"You look beautiful," the words escaped his lips.

Annika turned crimson after hearing those words. It was surprising how he managed to create a whirlwind inside her with everything he did or said.

"Thank you," she said.

Shivaay came out of his trance and looked at the pool as a way to distract himself.

"Shall we?" he offered.

Annika nodded. He pulled out a seat for her. When she was seated comfortably, he took the spot opposite her. Turning to the tray, he opened the lids of the dishes and served both of them. Annika observed how he artfully served the two of them. He was royalty personified inch by inch. She noted to observe him during his sleep in her head. She wondered if his royal ventures continued through sleep as well.

"Sorry I was late," she apologized before they could start eating.

"Generally, I dislike late-comers," he let her now.