66. Changing Perceptions

"It's not your fault," she shook her head, "It's the thing called expectations. You said you had three expectations from the girl you married. You said I fit all three. Shivaay, I had one expectation from the man I married. And I fear you can't fulfil it."

Shivaay's assumptions solidified hearing Annika's words. She truly lived in the world of Bollywood romance where a boy and a girl were predestined to fall in love. But he didn't want to ridicule her wishes at the moment. He didn't want to force his opinion about the nonexistential concept of love on her They would certainly not work in his favor.

"What if," he paused for a brief second to think of the consequences of his words, "What if you realize that you can live with me without me fulfilling your expectations just how I know I can live happily without you fulfilling any of my expectations?"

"Shivaay, these words are better empty than anything. A child expects his parents will take care of him always, a parent expects children to behave well, be successful and live with them when they grow old, a friend expects companionship, a neighbor expects cordial relationship, a romantic partner expects the other half to keep all their promises. We can't lift the word expectations from any of our relationships. It will forever be there. To make us happy or hurt us. We can't run away from this."

"You are running away," he accused. Annika turned to Shivaay and immediately looked away fearing his piercing gaze. The accusation was bitter. True as well. But she saw no other way to protect herself from breaking more.

"Maybe it is better for both of us."

"It is not good for either of us," he replied confidently.

"How can you say? Twenty years later and you will realize you were better off alone than with me," her insecurities were surging. She feared, almost knew that one point in life he would regret a marriage done for the sake of money. She won't be happy with someone who could never love her either. Money was a matter of time and luck. Relationships were not. That's why money ought not to be mixed with relationships.

"Why did you say yes to this marriage?" he suddenly asked, "If you are so sure that a marriage without love can't survive, then shouldn't have you been waiting for the prince charming?"

Annika nodded without replying. He was right. She couldn't deny that. "There were a lot of things going in the back of my mind then. I won't lie I was emotionally carried away by Papa's words. I never disobeyed him. Never hurt him. I didn't want to do so in this case too. Now I realize, maybe I should have waited. Waited for more to figure out what he was up to. I sort of realize that he wanted me married so I don't have to live alone after him. Loneliness kills. Why did he choose you? I don't know."

Oh I am the youngest successful businessman in the country. Shivaay wanted to boast. Soon he decided it was better to respect Annika's sentiments keeping the conversation serious.

"Do you regret this marriage?" he asked.

Annika stared at him intently. This was the question she had been asking herself. Logically she should. However, her emotions didn't allow her to. This marriage introduced her to the romantic side of love. A side she always wanted to explore. to feel, to live. It would be so unfair if she said she regretted this relationship.

"I am sleepy," she faked a yawn and ran inside the mansion.

Shivaay sat there swinging his legs underwater just like Annika would. Annika had a very easy and innocent demand from marriage. He could say 'I love you' to end the matter once and for all. He didn't want to say something he didn't believe in. With all his money and charms, he didn't know if such a sweet demand could be fulfilled.