59. Heartbreak

"Was it true?" she asked in a monotonous tone, "Is ours a marriage of convenience?"

Shivaay loosened his hold on Annika. He took a step back. Their bodies were no longer touching. Annika turned back to meet Shivaay's eyes. Had he not bent them low, it won't have taken her a second to guess the truth.

Then again, somewhere she knew the truth. She just wanted a confirmation. Shivaay would never lie to her she knew although a lie would suffice at the moment.

"Annika, it all happened months ago. They don't matter anymore," he tried to assure her, "Just forget it."

"I can't forget how Shivaay Singh Oberoi let himself be humiliated because he couldn't lie in answer to the question," her words came out as if an accusation, "I was waiting for an answer as well. I know you didn't answer because you couldn't lie to me."

"You know I can't lie to you, but you act as if you don't know why," he accused back. He didn't want to but he was getting done with all this. Comforting Annika was his job but being assured or not was her choice. He had always been there whenever she needed assurance. However, if she still doubted him, what could he do.

"Why Shivaay?" she wiped her tears, "I am asking you. Why?"

Her tears made him weak. He took a deep breath before cupping her shoulders as he spoke, "You know it very well. You know what's between us, still, you ask?"

She pushed his left hand away from her right shoulder. As if in reflex, he removed his right hand off her left shoulder. Stepping away a few inches, he took another deep breath. He observed Annika doing the same when she was on the verge of frustration many times before. In his case, they did not seem to help. He felt cheated by the way she saw him. With accusing glares.

"What exactly is between us? We didn't know each other a month before we got married. You weren't interested in me a tad bit in the beginning. If you cared, it was only in cases where your reputation was at stake. If I were to believe your interview from a couple of years ago, you wanted to expand your business that died with your respected father. Papa was giving you just that opportunity they say. The press, media, Mallika, Dev, Dadi make me feel like this marriage was born out of a deal. Your eyes are ashamed to face mine. You aren't telling me the truth despite knowing I will trust you over everyone else," she gasped, "What should I do, Shivaay?"

"There is a big difference between was and is Annika," he replied hurtfully, "Sadly I don't know how to say it and you don't know how to take it."

He began walking away. He knew Annika did not get the meaning behind his answer. He worried she will never get it. His only wish at the moment was that when he returned, he finds Annika in his home. For she was his home.

He stopped for a second, "I will call the driver. He will pick you up. I need some time alone."

Before she knew, he had left. Her eyes were filled with tears. She sat on a bench nearby. Shivaay left her just like that? The first time he did so. He behaved as if he was the one who got hurt. He didn't even care to explain, solidifying her insecurities.

He asked her why he couldn't lie to her. How was she supposed to have the answer? And what was it that he didn't know how to say or she didn't know how to take? She had grammar classes in elementary to know the difference between is and was. Shivaay's parting words didn't make any sense. Her judgment was as clouded by hurtful thoughts as her eyes by tears.

He wasn't here to wipe away neither of them.

***

As soon as Shivaay's frustration dropped, care for Annika took over. He left her alone at the chaperone of a driver. Many thoughts ran into his mind. One of them being the media encircling her and bothering her with their silly questions. She wasn't in the mental state for that he knew.