16. Her Pain

Annika looked on as Shivaay hurriedly packed his bags. Her hands trembled to keep even one piece of her cloth in the bag. She expected a holiday, a vacation where she gets to know her husband better. She wanted to take this opportunity to learn more of him, to know him like no one else does. Here, she found her wishes being crumbled for his one command.

She hated herself. More than Shivaay, she was disappointed with herself for agreeing to whatever he said. She hated being this weak when it comes to him.

"Are you ready?" came his voice.

"Huh?" Annika came out of her thoughts. 

Shivaay stopped packing and walked near her. In his eyes, she found compassion for her. She hated it. She wanted love, not pity. 

"Shivaay."

Once again, he made her numb by cupping her face.

"We must go back. Try to understand Annika. If it was not so important, I won't ever take the decision without your consent." 

She wanted to trust his words. If he cancelled their 'honeymoon' midway, there must be a reason.

"Is it some important business meeting?"

Shivaay's back was facing her. He paused for a moment before he answered. 

"Yes."

A tear dropped down Annika's eyes. So his business was more important than her. She convinced herself that it was natural. He didn't love her. Then how could she expect him to prioritize her above all else?

***

Annika found Shivaay terribly silent during the flight. Occasionally, he would steal glances at  her. By his body language, she knew that he wanted to say something. But everytime his mouth opened only to be closed without a word.

Shivaay placed his arm on top of hers. Already, he hurt her by hiding about Mallika. And now, he was doing it again. By lying to her.

"I am sorry."

Annika heard him whisper. Her heart raced all of a sudden. The forehead kiss, the compassionate look in his eyes, the sorry: what did all of it mean?

***

"Head to Kabeer Mansion," Shivaay told the chauffeur as soon as they settled inside a car back in India. 

Annika's head turned to Shivaay when he said that. Kabeer Mansion meant her Dad. The one she had been ignoring all along. She was still upset with Harsh for binding her to Shivaay. 

A part of her craved to meet him. And another part of her wanted to stay angry.

"Why are we going to Kabeer Mansion?"

Shivaay did not reply. She frowned when he put on his shades. Now, she could neither admire his blue eyes nor read through them.

***

Their car passed through a mob and stopped right in front of the main entrance of the mansion. Annika recognized some of them as Kabeer Industries' board of directors. All of them wore white. Harsh's lawyer, Mr. Kapoor, was there as well. That reminded her of the papers she signed without reading.

Looking to her left, she found Shivaay holding the door for her. She stepped outside. Once she glanced all around the mansion, she realized there were more people than she assumed from inside the car.

Shivaay wrapped his arm around her. She wondered the reason for this sudden care. Mallika was not around anymore for him to show off in front of her. Then why?