↠ uneasy night

Emily sat up. Her body was sticking to her sheet in a chilled state. The bus bounced lightly along the highway. The band had a small concert in Denver this weekend and were well on their way back to L.A.

Like always, Emily spent the night on the bus with James instead of taking a late flight with Kelly and Gustavo. Carlos and James were both fast asleep in their bunks. 

She didn't dream about it, much less give it any thought often, but it was one of the those nights where Hawk and now Lucy's ex-boyfriend entered her subconscious. 

The girl sat up on the couch, tearing the blanket off her. After a splash of water on her face, Emily tried to fall back asleep to no avail. Her mind kept wandering down that path, no matter how hard she tried to put it aside. 

A thump came from the hall and a tall figure wandering out. "Em?" James yawned. "Why are you awake?" 

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake anyone up," she said, tugging the blanket back up, hoping James would take it as a sign of "go back to bed" so she wouldn't feel worse. 

"You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"You don't look fine." James said, "You have that look on your face where something is seriously wrong and you're trying to pretend nothing is wrong."

"It was just a bad dream," Emily mumbled, extremely thankful it was dark and she could barely see his face. 

"Was it about..." 

"Yes."

"I didn't even say–"

"I know," she answered quickly, burying her face in her hands at the thought James automatically knew what she was obsessing over. 

"Do you want to stay with me?" He asked. A long silence washed over them. 

"Can I?"

"Of course," James immediately replied, reaching blindly for her hand. Finding it in his, James led them through the dark bus to the bunks. He placed a hand over her head as she ducked into the lower bunk, pushing herself into the wall. 

James climbed in after her, wrapping a tight arm her middle and pulling her close. Emily twisted her body, turning to face James, placing her head on his chest. 

As the girl laid there, James found her hand, holding it tightly. He bounced back and forth in his mind on what to say, if there was anything to say. He could tell her it wasn't anything to be ashamed about, but Emily wouldn't listen. He got repeat what she already knew and say it wasn't real, "just a dream." James could promise her she was safe and nothing like that would happen again, but she'd most likely go back to the couch and swear she overreacted. 

And so James only had one thing left to say that wouldn't provoke conversation, an argument, or upset her in any way...

"I love you."

"I love you too," Emily mumbled back, feeling his chest go up and down with every breath. 

And it was perfect. 

***

Another one... 

This one is hella shorter than the last, but there wasn't much room for a continuing plot. Plus I don't think they're meant to be 30 pages long any how. 

This one is brought to you by the lovely HazelHades 

Comment more suggestions of things you wanna see!!!!