008

__

__

ZOLA'S MIND WAS BLOWN. In front of her as she walked through the gloomy tunnels of the Labyrinth were Annabeth and Rachel.

Talking..

Civilly

No arguments, just a normal conversation about architecture and studying art. Mostly talking about different facades on buildings around New York.

It would go, "Have you seen this one?", and then blah blah blah.

Zola felt herself hanging back and falling into stride with Percy and Nico who seemed to be in mid a conversation about the whole Daedalus debacle.

She sighed softly to herself as she took in the underground air. Zola honestly hadn't felt at peace like this for so long ever since this quest had started.

And it felt good.

Suddenly, she bumped into someone's back causing her to jolt out of her relaxing peace session.

Zola noticed they had stopped at a crossroads. She walked up to Rachel who she realised she had bumped into before scanning where they had stopped. The tunnel continued straight ahead, but a side tunnel T'd off to the right—a circular shaft carved from volcanic rock.

"What's up, why did we stop?", Zola asked as she was pretty sure Rachel knew exactly where they had to go.

Rachel stared down the dark tunnel, frozen. Zola put her hands on her shoulder.

"You alright RED?", Zola asked softly.

In the dim flashlight beam, her face looked like one of Nico's skeletons.

Rachel didn't answer, she seemed rigid in shock.

"Is it that way?", Annabeth asked a rigid looking Rachel.

"No," Rachel suddenly said her voice shaking nervously. "Not at all."

"Why are we stopping then?", Percy asked.

"Is something down there?", Zola added in confusion as she flashed her torchlight down the T'd off tunnel.

"Wait..listen", Nico said.

Zola felt wind blow against her face as if an exit was near the end of the tunnel. Then a familiar smell filled her nose but she couldn't wrap her mind around what it was.

"Eucalyptus trees", Percy said suddenly. "Like in California".

"Oh my gods, I'm so stupid", Zola said face palming herself. "I knew that I recognised that smell from somewhere".

Percy gave a soft chuckle at her habits which sent..butterflies to her stomach. She sent him a small smile back as she felt her cheeks slightly redden.

'Thank the gods for the close to pitch black, light of these maze's', she thought.

"There's something evil. Something dark...down that tunnel", Rachel stuttered.