016

__

__

"THE HUNTERS WILL NOT BE TRAVELLING WITH A BOY", Zoë said.

"You travelled here with him, didn't you?", Zola asked.

Percy looked surprised that Zola was defending him but continued, "Yeah, you travelled here with me, why have the rules changed?".

"That was a short-term emergency, and it was ordered by the goddess. I will not go across country and fight many dangers in the company of a boy".

"What about Grover?" Percy demanded.

Zoe shook her head. "He does not count".

"Zoë, he is male", Zola snapped.

"But he's a satyr. He is not technically a boy". 

"Hey!", Grover protested, a bit offended.

"I have to go", Percy said. "I need to be on this quest".

"Why?". Zoe asked. "Because of thy friend Annabeth?"

Zola felt a pang in her chest as all her senses suddenly heightened, looking down she realised Percy was still holding her arm. She shook it out of his grasp.

Percy's face reddened but Zola wasn't sure if it was due to Zoë's comment or Zola's actions.

"No! I mean, partly. I just feel like I'm supposed to go!"

Nobody rose to his defence and this time Zola didn't either as she stared down at her arms. Mr. D looked bored, still reading his magazine. Silena, the Stoll brothers, and Beckendorf were staring at the table.

"No", Zoe said flatly. "I insist upon this. I will take a satyr if I must, but not a male hero".

Chiron sighed. "The quest is for Artemis. The Hunters should be allowed to approve their companions".

Percy sat down not meeting anyone's eyes as Chiron concluded the council.

"So be it", he said. "Zola, Grover and Thalia will accompany Zoe, Bianca, and Phoebe. You shall leave at first light. And may the gods", he glanced at Dionysus, "present company included, we hope, be with you".

__

The next morning around 5am, Zola woke up her backpack packed and her outfit for the next day out and ready. 

The night before Zola, Val, Conner and Travis had spent it helping her pack with encouraging words. Finally after she had squeezed the daylights out of all of them, they had left her to sleep.

Zola rushed into the shower and once she was done she moisturised and put on the outfit she had put out already from the day before. Once again checking for her weapons around her wrist and neck before putting on her backpack. 

Checking the time, Zola noticed that it was just about 6am so she had about 45 minutes to spare. Zola wandered out of her cabin and climbed to her spot on the roof but someone had already occupied the space.

Before she could turn and leave he noticed.

"Hey Lopez"

"Hey Jackson, what you doing up so early".

"Blackjack woke me up and I went to help Bessie".

"Blackjack? As in that black pegasus?"

"Yup"

"Right..I always forget you can speak horse to horse"

"Demigod to Hor-"

"Horse to horse, Jackson", Zola said with a grin.

Percy chuckled, "Good luck by the way, I know you will be great".

"What's this sudden kindness?"

Percy faced Zola with a serious expression, "Zola". This was the first time he really said her name usually it was 'Lopez' or 'Feisty'. "Just because we tease each other doesn't mean I hate you. In fact I never really hated you". Percy said looking at her straight in the eyes.

Zola's eyes softened at Percy's intense stare. It was like he was really trying to get that point across. 

"I never..um hated you too Percy", Zola said in a low voice. "Frenemies?", Zola asked sticking her hand out.

"Friends", Percy said as he took hold of both her hands throwing them over his neck and picking her up with a spin.

"JACKSON!", Zola squealed as she was lifted, "I may have to revoke this friendship".

Percy put her down before whispering, "sure you will", in her ear.

Zola glared at him. 

"Your troop is gathering down there, good luck Feisty"

"Bye Jackson, see you soon if I don't get lost or killed by my father!", Zola said as she jogged off the roof, backpack and all towards the others. 

__

signing off

Thanks so much for reading!

next part is

coming soon