018

__

__

"GUYS THE SECURITY GUARDS ARE DEFINITELY NOT OUR BIGGEST WORRY, LOOK!", Zola said pointing towards a group of men walking across the lawn in gray camouflage outfits with grey skin. They were too far away for them to see their eyes, but Zola could feel their gaze aimed straight at them.

"Go", Percy said. "They'll be hunting me. I'll distract them."

"NO!", Zoë and Zola said simultaneously. 

"We go together", Zoë added.

Percy stared at her. "But, you said-"

"You are part of this quest now," Zoe said grudgingly. "I do not like it, but there is no changing fate. You are the sixth quest member. And like Zola said earlier, we are not leaving anyone behind."

__

As they rushed across Potomac, they spotted the helicopter. It was a sleek, black military model just like the one Zola had previously seen at Westover Hall and it was coming straight towards them.

"They know the van", Percy said. "We have to ditch it."

Zoë swerved into the fast lane but the helicopter was gaining.

"Maybe the military will shoot it down", Grover said hopefully.

"One can dream Grover", Zola said.

"The military probably thinks it's one of theirs", Percy said. "How can the General use mortals, anyway?"

"Mercenaries", Zoë said bitterly. "It is distasteful, but many mortals will fight for any cause as long as they are paid."

"Who bit your ass?", Zola questioned.

"Long story", Zoë responded curtly, "and we don't have time".

The helicopter kept coming, making a lot better time than they were through the D.C. traffic.

Thalia closed her eyes and prayed hard. "Hey, Dad. A lightning bolt would be nice about now. Please?"

The sky however, stayed gray and snowy. No sign of a helpful thunderstorm.

"There!", Bianca said. "That parking lot!"

"We'll be trapped", Zoë said.

"Trust me", Bianca said.

Zoë shot across two lanes of traffic and into a mall parking lot on the south bank of the river. Everyone left the van and followed Bianca down some steps.

"Subway entrance", Bianca said. "Let's go south. Alexandria."

__

"Nice job Bianca thinking about the subway", Grover said letting out a sigh.