015

__

__

"WE'RE SUPPOSED TO HAVE SIX" PERCY SAID, "Three Hunters, three from Camp Half-Blood. That's more than fair."

Thalia and Zoe exchanged looks.

"Well," Thalia said. "It does make sense".

Zoë grunted. "I would prefer to take all the Hunters. We will need strength of numbers."

"Excuse me, are you saying campers are weak?", Zola interrupted. 

Before Zoë could answer Chiron interjected, "You'll be retracing the goddess's path. Chiron reminded her, "Moving quickly. No doubt Artemis tracked the scent of this rare monster, whatever it is, as she moved west. You will have to do the same. The prophecy was clear, The bane of Olympus shows the trail. What would your mistress say? 'Too many Hunters spoil the scent.' A small group is best".

"This monster, The Bane of Olympus. I have hunted at Lady Artemis's side for many years, yet I have no idea what this beast might be".

Everyone's attention turned towards Dionysus, due to the fact that he was the only God present and Gods are supposed to know things. He was flipping through a wine magazine, but when everyone got silent he glanced up, "Well, don't look at me. I'm a young god, remember? I don't keep track of all those ancient monsters and dusty titans. They make for terrible party conversation".

"Chiron", Percy said, "You don't have any ideas about the monster?"

Chiron pursed his lips. "I have several ideas, none of them good. And none of them quite make sense. Typhon, for instance, could fit this description. He was truly a bane of Olympus. Or the sea monster Keaton but if either of these were stirring, we would know it. They are ocean monsters the size of skyscrapers. Your father, Poseidon, would already have sounded the alarm. I fear this monster may be more elusive. Perhaps even more powerful".

"That's some serious danger you're facing," Connor Stoll said. "It sounds like at least two of the six are going to die." As he said this he glanced towards Zola with a small nod asking if she was okay which she responded with a thumbs up.

"One shall be lost in the land without rain" Beckendorf said. "If I were you, I'd stay out of the desert".

There was a muttering of agreement.

"And the Titan's curse must one withstand," Silena said. "What could that mean?"

Zola watched as Chiron and Zoe exchange a nervous look, but whatever they were thinking, they didn't share it.

"One shall perish by a parent's hand," Grover said in between bites of Cheez Whiz and Ping-Pong balls. "How is that possible? Whose parent would kill them?"

There was heavy silence around the table.

"There will be deaths," Chiron decided. "That much we know."

"Oh, goody!" Dionysus said.

Everyone looked at him. He glanced up innocently from the pages of Wine Connoisseur magazine. "Ah, pinot noir is making a comeback. Don't mind me". Zola rolled her eyes at the pot stirring God.

"Percy is right," Silena Beauregard said. "Three campers should go".

"Oh, I see", Zoë said sarcastically. "And I suppose you wish to volunteer?"

Silena blushed. "I'm not going anywhere with the Hunters. Don't look at me!"

"A daughter of Aphrodite does not wish to be looked at", Zoë scoffed. "What would thy mother say?"

Silena started to get out of her chair, but the Stoll brothers pulled her back. Zola on the other hand was openly mad, that was her best friend's sister and Zoë just rubbed her the wrong way anyway.

"THATS MY BEST FRIEND'S SISTER YOUR TALKING TO PIPE DOWN, MARY SUE!", Zola said as she jumped up from her chair. Sadly, she didn't get far as Percy held her straight back but at least her point got across by the glares she was giving Zoë.

Zola didn't even notice that Percy was still holding her arm as they sat back down.

"Stop it", Beckendorf said. He was a big guy with a bigger voice. He didn't talk much, but when he did, people tended to listen. "Let's start with the Hunters. Which three of you will go?"

Zoe stood. "I shall go, of course"

"URGH...I have to deal with her?", Zola muttered.

Zoë glared before continuing, "And I will take Phoebe. She is our best tracker." 

"The big girl who likes to hit people on the head?"Travis Stoll asked cautiously. Zoe nodded.

"The one who put the arrows in my helmet?" Connor added.

"Yes", Zoe snapped. "Why?"

"Oh, nothing", Travis said. "Just that we have a T-shirt for her from the camp store." He held up a big silver T-shirt that said ARTEMIS THE MOON GODDESS, FALL HUNTING TOUR 2002, with a huge list of national parks and stuff underneath. "It's a collector's item. She was admiring it. You want to give it to her?"

Right then and there Zola knew the Stolls were up to something. She gave them a look and they both winked back at her as she rolled her eyes. Zola was not bothered though, she didn't like the Hunters anyway.

The Stolls handed Zoë the T-shirt smirking.

"Anyways..as I was saying, I will take Phoebe. And I wish Bianca to go too".

"Seriously", Zola muttered under her breath, "Two people I really don't like. Oh..what a quest this will be". 

Bianca looked stunned. "Me? But...I'm so new. I wouldn't be any good."

"You will do fine",  Zoe insisted. "There is no better way to prove thyself".

"And for campers?", Chiron asked. 

"Me!", Grover stood up so fast he bumped the Ping-Pong table. He brushed cracker crumbs and Ping- Pong ball scraps off his lap. "Anything to help Artemis!".

Zoe wrinkled her nose. "I think not, satyr. You are not even a half-blood."

"Discrimination at its finest", Zola snapped as everyone again turned to look at her, "Once again Zoë I question your literacy skills. It said CAMPERS not DEMIGODS and Grover is a CAMPER".

"And he's got a satyr's senses and woodland magic", Thalia added.

"Exactly", Zola agreed.

"Can you play a tracker's song yet, Grover?", Thalia asked

"Absolutely!", Grover said ecstatically.

"Very well", Zoë said. "And the third camper?"

"I'll go", Thalia stood as she looked around, daring anyone to question her.

"Whoa, wait a sec," Percy said. "I want to go too".

Thalia said nothing and neither did anyone else.

"Oh", Grover said, suddenly aware of the problem. "Whoa, yeah, I forgot! Percy has to go".

__

signing off

Thanks so much for reading!

next part is

coming soon