025

__

__

"WE NEED A CAR, IF WE ARE GONNA GET THERE BEFORE SUNSET", Thalia concluded. 

"But what about Bessie", Percy asked.

Grover stopped in his tracks. "I've got an idea! The Ophiotaurus can appear in different bodies of water, right?"

"Well, yeah", Percy said. "I mean, he was in Long Island Sound. 

"And he popped out of nowhere at Hoover Dam", Zola added.

"And now he's here", Percy said.

"So maybe we could coax him back to Long Island Sound", Grover said. "Then Chiron could help us get him to Olympus".

"But he was following me", Percy said. "If I'm not there, would he know where he's going?"

"But Grover can actually speak cow..can't he?", Zola reasoned.

"Moo," Bessie said forlornly.

"I...I can show him," Grover said. "I'll go with him."

Zola watched as Percy and Grover seemed to have a silent conversation between each other.

"Zola's right, I'm the only one who can talk to him," Grover said. "It makes sense."

He bent down and said something in Bessie's ear causing Bessie to shiver and then make a contented, lowing sound.

"The blessing of the Wild", Grover said. "That should help with safe passage. Percy, pray to your dad, too. See if he will grant us safe passage through the seas".

Percy leant over the side and put his hands in the water as he talked into the sea.

"Dad", he said. "Help us. Get the Ophiotaurus and Grover safely to camp. Protect them at sea".

"A prayer like that needs a sacrifice", Thalia said. 

"Something big", Zola added.

Percy took off his lions fur coat and looked at it in his hands. 

"Percy", Grover said. "Are you sure? That lion skin...that's really helpful. Hercules used it!"

Percy quickly glanced at Zoë and they seemed to have a silent conversation between each other. "If I'm going to survive," Percy said, "it won't be because I've got a lion-skin cloak. I'm not Hercules."

"Obviously. Your not conceited, annoying, blonde or a son of Zeus..Are you?

"Hold up...You just said I'm not annoying".

"I take it back", Zola said.

"No no no..you can't retract it. Case closed. I win".

"Did you just quote Tony Stark?", Zola asked with a laugh.