12• Change Of Plans

~Idris~

We were finally back at Khadijah's house and I hoped this was the best day of her life. I had taken her out so she could feel happy. I don't think she enjoyed the outing though, she acted so shy and scared and she didn't even touch her food. If I hadn't killed Nasir maybe it won't be this difficult.

That aside, our wedding will take place very soon and I would have to discuss the changes to the wedding with Hadiza.

"Mata Nasir!" I said while getting down from the car. Khadijah had some trouble coming down through the other door considering that the Jeep was so high. She succeeded by jumping down.

It was pitch dark and I brought out my phone from one of my pockets and turned on the torchlight.

It was also cold but it would be very hot during the day because this was the harmattan season.

"Suruki na (My in-law) " I heard Hadiza say walking briskly out of the house with a kerosene oil lamp in her hand. She was dressed in a knee length hijab.

"Ah, my inlaw, you're here, come in... come in," she said and escorted her daughter into the house while I walked behind them. She led us to her room.

"So how was your day?" She asked Khadijah and hung the kerosene lamp on the wall then sat down on the seat behind her.

Khadijah formed a fake smile and tried her possible best not to tilt her head towards me.
"It was fine," she said and the smile faded away instantly. She walked out of the room.

"Mata Nasir, we need to discuss." I said.

"Go on,"

"I wanted us to have only a nikkah but I will be travelling to Abuja tomorrow for an important matter."
She remained quiet and crossed her arms. I sighed and continued.

"I just want to let you know that when I get back probably next week, will be the wedding date. I hope it's fine for you?"

'it's okay' was all she said.

"I'm really sorry for what I did to your family in the past, I really am. I hope you forgive me," I said and she sighed.

"I forgave you months ago but I don't think it will be easy for my daughter to forgive you. I just hope you make her happy for me."

"I told you I can do anything to make her happy and that is a promise."

"Okay, we leave the rest to Allah" She said.
"I will be leaving."
"Safe journey," she said and I left the room. I got into my car and we drove off.
I picked my phone from my pocket and saw a message from Surrayah.

Why do you want a divorce, habibti?

Don't ask me silly questions! The papers are ready and Immediately I arrive at Abuja you'll have to sign them.

Can't you at least tell me your reasons? Habibti, you're hurting me!

I ignored her and angrily dropped my phone on the seat. I took out my pipe which I had left in the car earlier, making a resolution to never smoke in front of Khadijah or her mother again. I lighted it and inhaled and exhaled the dancing smoke. The sound of my iPhone ringtone on high volume caught my attention, I knew it was her calling so I picked up the phone, switched it off and placed it in the cup holder.

~°~°~°~

I had dinner alone on the large dining table and when I was done, I called Amina to clear the table.
"Amina!, Amina!"
"Yes sir," I heard her walk in with a huge frown on her face. She carried the plates from the table and stared at me.
"Come on, will you disappear!" I yelled and she ran into the kitchen like she was just about to cry. It was really funny and I laughed mentally then let out a short chuckle before going to my room. Today was such a good day and it was definitely because I would be getting rid of that huge setback in my life, Surrayah and finally get married to Khadijah very soon.

I sat on the edge of my bed and switched on my phone, it rang immediately. It was a group video chat from Ibrahim, one of my sons who was managing my company in Dubai and my daughters who were still schooling in Abuja.

"Hello, dad" they said in unison once I swiped to answer the call.
"Ibrahim, how is everything over there."
"It's all fine dad,"
"And how are you, my babies?" I asked grinning.

"We're all fine,"

"Dad, I'll be coming to spend the holidays at the house in Abuja. I've told my sisters and they're so excited." Ibrahim said in his Black American accent, He studied in the U.S

"Yes we are oh. Daddy please let him," They begged in unison. After much begging, I agreed. 
"Okay, okay... He can come"
"Yayyy!" They squeaked and laughed afterwards.

"Lubna, I hope you guys are taking your studies seriously, daddy wants improvement oh." Ibrahim said

"You will jus open your weps waaaaa," Lubna said and they all laughed. She was a clown and that was a pickup line she invented herself, it never ceased to make people laugh.

"I'll also be travelling to Abuja tomorrow. When are you coming back Ibrahim?"

"Umm... Very soon, I still have some unfinished business here in U.A.E,"

"What unfinished business? I hope you're bringing us a wife oh." Lubna added.

"Haba it's too early for that. It's not like I'm thirty something."

"What are you saying? get us a wife soon." I said

"Daddy help me tell him. Besides, Ibrahim you're twenty nine. You'll be thirty soon so..." Lubna said and scratched the back of her neck while rolling her eyes and I had to laugh at the gesture. Her sisters joined me too but this wasn't a funny situation for Ibrahim. He left the video chat.

"Somebody will just get angry unnecessarily. Daddy, did I lie? I was just saying the simple truth."

"Lubna, your mouth will get you in trouble one day. Get ready, I wonder what he will do to you once he gets back," Najibah added and Lubna left the chat.

"Goodnight dad," Najibah and Safiya said.

"Good night, sweet dreams babies." I said before leaving the chat and terminating the call.

I slept after reciting my last prayer for the day.

A/N: Hello gems, thanks for reading this chapter.

Tell me what you think about Idris now, do you think he's changing? You noticed right? Me too 😂
Tell me why you think he is 😉
Flood the comments section with your thoughts, I will make sure to check them and reply 💕❤️

What did he mean by he'd be getting married to Khadijah and getting rid of that setback in his life? Tell me your what you think in the comments section 🤭

If you're new and you like this chapter, why not check out the others? Vote by clicking on the star button 😊
just swipe, there's one more chapter 😉

All the x's, all the o's ❤️
(imagine that in Schwoz from Henry danger's voice 😹)
~ Kosy 💎